OCCRA
Go to Post I don't just participate in FIRST, and itís not part of my life. FIRST is my life. - sciguy125 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2003, 04:52 PM

Andrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to all
Going Metric

With last year's more liberal build rules, the option to go metric finally surfaced for real.

I was wondering how many teams were planning on going metric this year?

I am personally still on the fence. While the supply of most metric hardware is much better and the expense has dropped dramatically, I'm not sure that we're totally ready to go all the way.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2003, 05:34 PM
-
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of
Uh... remember those two ill-fated Mars probes almost two years ago? It may not be the best idea in the world.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
We went metric last year and have no plans on turning back.

We standardized with M5 or M3 screws as a rule in 2003. Of course, we had a few exceptions, but we tried to stick to this as much as possible. I strongly feel that this "standard fastener" rule helped us win the 2003 Midwest Regional. We had quicker repair time, less tools to deal with, and less overall confusion.

As an equipment designer for Delphi, I have been directed to design with metric fasteners for the past 10 years. Within the past 3-4 years, I have seen that metric fasteners are just as easy to get as english fasteners. Even local hardware stores will carry metric machine screws these days.

Andy B.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
Quote:
Uh... remember those two ill-fated Mars probes almost two years ago? It may not be the best idea in the world.
Actually using the two systems at once is not the best idea in the world.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Crusty Mentor
FRC #0097
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
DanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to DanL
http://www.metricsucks.com/metric_land.html

(just to stir up controversy)

Seriously though, the site does bring up advantages of the imperial system that I never realized before, one of the best examples being the description of the Fahrenheit scale and how easy it was to create a thermometer back then:
Quote:
And for thermometers, it seems that is precisely what Fahrenheit was
up to. Fahrenheit was playing around and playing around and finally
set ice water at 32, and body temperature at 96, so that there were
64 divisions between the two. That way, no matter where you are in
the world, you can re-generate his thermometer. You stick the
thermometer in ice water, and mark it there. Then you stick it
under your tounge, and mark it there. Then you get a string, and
fold it in half 6 times, and you have the 64 divisions between 32
and 96!
Note: Body temperature was corrected to 98.6 after Fahrenheit had died

Last edited by DanL : 09-09-2003 at 06:46 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2003, 06:45 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Remember Dean's quote from kickoff two years ago: "We're going metric, inch by inch"
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2003, 06:47 PM
On to my 17th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
We have always used both and plan to keep it that way. See, my team is coordinated at such a high level that we can handle these types of things.

Anyway though, consider this:
At my local hardware store, a bag of 20 M5 washers is %3.49. A bag of 50 1/4" washers is $3.79. They are almost exactly the same size too.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-09-2003, 08:51 PM
FRC #0383 (Brazilian Machine)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Manoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Manoel Send a message via MSN to Manoel
I believe this subject has been discussed in a topic a while ago, but I'm too lazy to search for it.
Metric is the standard in Brazil and we use it as much as we can. Of course, there are pneumatics and IFI stuff to deal with.
I disagree with the above statement that using both is good. Not only it can lead to confusion - ask Mr. Lavery about that - , that's twice more tools to work with. Sure doesn't help in keeping the room organized.
No time from now USA will be the only country to be fully using Imperial - even it's founder, the Britains, are being forced by the European Union to switch to Metric.
Team # 383

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: