OCCRA
Go to Post If you can spare 2 minutes (And I know you can, because the seasonís over and youíre STILL on Chief Delphi) - LVMastery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2005, 07:37 PM
AKA: Jeff Austin
FRC #2930 (The Taterbotz)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
jaustin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2005 Motor Information

Can anyone help with a question related to the "Intro to Motors" [Heinzmann & Mikus] presentation posted on the 2005 Kick Off Workshop List? Near the end they list a "simple strategy" of assuming a higher motor resistance to calculate a new power curve. They then say to "operate at half the new peak power". I'm wondering if it was supposed to say "... half the new peak torque". Half of the already greatly reduced power seems REALLY low.

Thanks!
Jeff Austin
Team 372
Mukilteo, WA
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2005, 11:32 AM

ErinColleen is an unknown quantity at this point

So are we in agreement then with the specs that were in the excel sheet?

~Erin
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2005, 11:58 AM
What would Dave do?
AKA: Peter Kieselbach
FRC #3654 (Tech Tigers)

Rookie Year: 2002
petek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to petek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinColleen
So are we in agreement then with the specs that were in the excel sheet?

~Erin
I updated the spreadsheet, with a few corrections and new data - attached here. I haven't heard from Brandon if I can update the link in my post earlier in this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: xls 2005 Motor Specs.xls (64.0 KB, 347 views)

#19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at Medrobotics
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0088 (TJ2)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

I would use THIS SPEC for the Taigene motor.

Joe J.
Team #88, TJ2
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Phil Baltar
FRC #1351
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
sciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sciguy125 Send a message via MSN to sciguy125 Send a message via Yahoo to sciguy125

Quote:
Originally Posted by petek
I updated the spreadsheet, with a few corrections and new data - attached here. I haven't heard from Brandon if I can update the link in my post earlier in this thread.

Hold on a sec...
I think the oz-in numbers are wrong on the van door, jideco and denso. They're WAY too low. lb-ft numbers look right though.

ok...maybe I should investigate before I speak... When the numbers were converted from Nm to oz-in, they used mNm to oz-in conversion. I've fixed them, assuming that the spec actually is Nm and not mNm.
Attached Files
File Type: xls 2005 Motor Specs.xls (50.5 KB, 250 views)

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE/S/P a-- e y-- r-- s:++ d+ h! X+++
t++ C+ P+ L++ E W++ w M-- V? PS+ PE+
5- R-- tv+ b+ DI+++ D- G
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:22 PM
What would Dave do?
FRC #3654 (Tech Tigers)

petek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy125
Hold on a sec...
I think the oz-in numbers are wrong on the van door, jideco and denso. They're WAY too low. lb-ft numbers look right though.

ok...maybe I should investigate before I speak... When the numbers were converted from Nm to oz-in, they used mNm to oz-in conversion. I've fixed them, assuming that the spec actually is Nm and not mNm.
Good catch! Funny how simple conversions can get screwed up at 10 at night... I hadn't paid too much attention to the oz-in numbers (obviously).

#22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Physics-Electronics
#1677 (QuantumNinja)
Team Role: Webmaster

Tom McCurdy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Tom McCurdy

I have had members of our team who are saying the gear ratio is wrong still instead of 1:124 for fisher price is 1:12.4 would this make any difference.... basically right now we are looking for the torque on the fischer price motors
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2005, 12:54 PM
What would Dave do?
FRC #3654 (Tech Tigers)

It would appear there are a couple of other errors in the data:
- According to other threads, this year's Van Door motor apparently has a no-load speed of about 50 rpm;
- The Globe gearmotor stall torque is way off - it is lower than the window motors', but I don't know what is the real value.

If and when I get "real" data, I'll update the spreadsheet. Sorry for posting bogus data.

#24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2005, 04:18 PM
#833 Team Captain
AKA: Ben Honey
#0833 (HPA Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

HPA_Robotics_13 will become famous soon enoughHPA_Robotics_13 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to HPA_Robotics_13 Send a message via MSN to HPA_Robotics_13

I don't understand this data.
I find it impossible to believe that the torque from the FPs is less than one Nm. Can someone explain what "stall torque" is? And then, what is the motor's "normal" torque?
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPA_Robotics_13
I don't understand this data.
I find it impossible to believe that the torque from the FPs is less than one Nm. Can someone explain what "stall torque" is? And then, what is the motor's "normal" torque?
The torque from the FP without the gearbox is less than 1Nm. With the gearbox, it's a whole lot more. The data for the FP with gearbox is wrong on that sheet, as pointed out by Dr. Joe earlier. Stall torque is the amount of torque provided when you are at 0 RPM. When you are at maximum RPM, you have 0 Nm of torque. There really is no "normal" torque... it depends on what speed the motor is going. I think there are power curves for the motors around here somewhere, which will tell you how much torque you get for a certain speed. If not, you can probably construct one yourself.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Phil Baltar
FRC #1351
Team Role: College Student

sciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sciguy125 Send a message via MSN to sciguy125 Send a message via Yahoo to sciguy125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon
I think there are power curves for the motors around here somewhere, which will tell you how much torque you get for a certain speed. If not, you can probably construct one yourself.
As far as I know, brushed motors are linear. Plot torque vs speed. 0 speed, stall torque is your first point. Full speed, 0 torque is your other point. Draw a straight line and you have your "curve."

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE/S/P a-- e y-- r-- s:++ d+ h! X+++
t++ C+ P+ L++ E W++ w M-- V? PS+ PE+
5- R-- tv+ b+ DI+++ D- G
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:57 PM
#1430 (WRONG)
Team Role: Electrical

russell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to all

I dont think thats right. Dont know why, but something seems funny about it. For I think because you are plotting the speed at stall at the beginning then the rest of the time you plot the free speed. Something like that.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2005, 12:27 AM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell
I dont think thats right. Dont know why, but something seems funny about it. For I think because you are plotting the speed at stall at the beginning then the rest of the time you plot the free speed. Something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy125
As far as I know, brushed motors are linear. Plot torque vs speed. 0 speed, stall torque is your first point. Full speed, 0 torque is your other point. Draw a straight line and you have your "curve."
In fact, sciguy125 is mostly right, except that usually, you plot speed vs. torque with stall torque (the max.) at the extreme right of the x-axis, and the torque corresponding to free speed (i.e. 0 torque) at the origin.

Maybe you were thinking of current?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speed-torque and current-torque.png
Views:	177
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	2927  
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2005, 02:55 AM
#833 Team Captain
AKA: Ben Honey
#0833 (HPA Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

HPA_Robotics_13 will become famous soon enoughHPA_Robotics_13 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to HPA_Robotics_13 Send a message via MSN to HPA_Robotics_13

So, then what is the stall torque on the Fisher-Price motors (with gearbox)?
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2005, 09:19 AM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPA_Robotics_13
So, then what is the stall torque on the Fisher-Price motors (with gearbox)?
We don't have any official numbers, but Paul Copioli figured the gearbox reduction to be about 180:1. Take the torque listed on the data sheet for the motor alone, multiply it by 180, and subtract a bit for energy losses. That will give you a ballpark figure.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: