OCCRA
Go to Post I've got much more out of FIRST ever since I stopped and realized I can gain so much more from trying to improve my current team's situation rather than complain about teams who have more. - AdamHeard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: All Einstein Festival of Champions?
Terrible Idea 16 8.33%
Bad Idea 20 10.42%
Meh 56 29.17%
Good Idea 54 28.13%
Great Idea 46 23.96%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at Medrobotics
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0088 (TJ2)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Festival of Champions V2.0

So... ...I attended the Festival of Champions and I had a great time. Loved it.

AND... ...I found myself wishing for something better.

Here is what I think I would like to see if I were King of FIRST (a.k.a. DK):

Every team that makes it to Einstein from the N World Championships gets an invite to a 2 day tournament with seeding rounds, drafting, and an 8 Alliance Playoffs played in the standard way (win 2 matches to advance to next level).

With the current format CMP structure that would mean 48 teams would get an invite (2 CMPs, 6 divisions per CMP, 4 teams per division). Districts show that is it quite possible to run a 48 team tournament in 2 days but if it stretched to 2.5 days or 3 days, so be it.

As a practical matter, I suppose that the number of teams actually accepting this invite to a Festival of Champions structured this way would be 30 to 40. I suggest that we'd pick a target number offer invites to division finalists as needed to get to that number (we can debate if we should have a ranking system for these invites or if it is just better to go with a lottery).

As to when to hold it, in my mind, ideally it would be held in May or June but July or early August could be made to work too.

I know this is a lot of work. I know that FIRST is ambivalent about running a competition that is too clearly focused on the "best robots." I know that there a thousand other reasons that this will never happen.

And yet... ...I hope this becomes a real thing some day.

For 2 Main Reasons.

First, the teams that rise to the top in terms of robot performance are, for the most part, really worthy teams that deserve to be celebrated. There are rare exceptions of course but nearly always the teams on Einstein are the same teams that are moving the needle in terms of FIRST's larger goals. What is more, it is also clear that many of the teams that make it to Einstein are their not because of their robot as much as because of 10's and 100's other things that they have focused on that make them formidable competitors (scouting, strategy, driver skill, robot reliability, ...). In short, the teams that make it to Einstein are worthy exemplars for the FIRST community to emulate.

Second, in the early days of FIRST, Dean Kamen included in almost every speech he gave that his vision for changing the culture was to get FIRST on TV so that kids would dream of becoming engineers & scientists in the same way that they dream of becoming professional athletes. I drank that Kool-aid. I STILL believe in that vision. I believe that a Festival of Champions with every team from Einstein would produce the kind of spectacle and drama that has a chance of drawing a real TV audience - perhaps large enough to one day cover the cost of running the event.

So... ...I call on FIRST to consider this proposal.

Vote on the poll. Where do you think this idea falls on a scale of 1 to 5?

Dr. Joe J.

TLDR: FIRST should hold a Festival of Champions structured like a regional/district that invites every Einstein team.
Team #88, TJ2
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 09:58 AM
Ready to STRIKE!
AKA: Rick Blight
FRC #0078 (AIR STRIKE)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Rick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Festival of Champions V2.0

To ask this many teams to attend yet another 3 day+ championship, paying for everything out of pocket, is a terrible idea.

It's bad enough FIRST offered zero financial support for 2017 FoC teams. (not true, FIRST actually offered hardship grants to all attending FoC teams to assist with travel expenses.)

Why not up the production value of each set of Einstein matches and the FoC matches then edit together for an hour TV special?

Last edited by Rick : 09-18-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: I was wrong on financial support for FOC teams.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 10:15 AM
AKA: Josh Patterson
FRC #1710 (Ravonics Revolution)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
Jpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post

It's bad enough FIRST offered zero financial support for 2017 FoC teams.
Interesting comment.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 10:19 AM
Shock the system.
AKA: Boom.
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To ask this many teams to attend yet another 3 day+ championship, paying for everything out of pocket, is a terrible idea.
Agreed on this. And yet, if we can find someone willing to write that check I think Dr. Joe is on point here.

Einstein teams, no backfilling from division rounds. You must be at least this tall to ride.
1-1.5 days, enough to get some reasonable seeding going.
Either back to 3-team alliances or do four 4-team alliances.
Best of three until someone hoists the big gold belt.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.

Last edited by Billfred : 09-18-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: getting the meatier part of the quote
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:

It's bad enough FIRST offered zero financial support for 2017 FoC teams.

Why not up the production value of each set of Einstein matches and the FoC matches then edit together for an hour TV special?
FIRST was actually able to offer reasonably generous financial support for the 2017 teams.

If the tournament was scaled to be larger, I imagine that would be infeasible.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 10:29 AM
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)

Rookie Year: 2006
Mike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnson View Post
Second, in the early days of FIRST, Dean Kamen included in almost every speech he gave that his vision for changing the culture was to get FIRST on TV so that kids would dream of becoming engineers & scientists in the same way that they dream of becoming professional athletes. I drank that Kool-aid. I STILL believe in that vision.
Who watches TV anymore?

Kettering University ('09-'13) University of Michigan ('14-'18)
FLL ('01-'02), FRC Team 27 ('06-'09), Team 397 ('10), Team 3450/314 ('11), Team 67 ('14-'??)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 10:30 AM
WFFA 2016
AKA: Brian "Robo" Jones
FRC #3937 (Breakaway)

Breakaway3937 is a glorious beacon of lightBreakaway3937 is a glorious beacon of lightBreakaway3937 is a glorious beacon of lightBreakaway3937 is a glorious beacon of lightBreakaway3937 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know why they don't just let the winning alliance from Houston attend the Detroit event on Saturday. After the the winner for the Detroit Championships is determined, they play the best of five with Houston vs. Detroit in Detroit. That would save a ton of money, time, and would have thousands of people there to watch the true champion crowned with the original drive team and crew.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Ready to STRIKE!
AKA: Rick Blight
FRC #0078 (AIR STRIKE)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Rick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
FIRST was actually able to offer reasonably generous financial support for the 2017 teams.

If the tournament was scaled to be larger, I imagine that would be infeasible.
Yes, I'm learning about this now. I'm glad to hear that was the case and hope FIRST continues to do this for future FoCs.

The 2017 FoC had the right amount of teams and matches.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 11:04 AM
I should be at baseball practice
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakaway3937 View Post
I don't know why they don't just let the winning alliance from Houston attend the Detroit event on Saturday. After the the winner for the Detroit Championships is determined, they play the best of five with Houston vs. Detroit in Detroit. That would save a ton of money, time, and would have thousands of people there to watch the true champion crowned with the original drive team and crew.
An obvious reason in my mind is the logistical nightmare these teams would have to deal with. They just won a championship, they want to go home and celebrate, all while catching up on sleep/schoolwork. The cost of hotels and flights will be absurd, getting kids to come to this event will be near impossible, their grades will further suffer, and if a team can't attend that championship imagine FIRST trying to get a team from the finalist alliance there in 2-3 days.

I'd bet the FOC teams had enough trouble making it to an event months later, so giving our championship teams a week seems impossible.

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 11:21 AM
AKA: Josh Patterson
FRC #1710 (Ravonics Revolution)

Jpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusbernstein View Post
An obvious reason in my mind is the logistical nightmare these teams would have to deal with. They just won a championship, they want to go home and celebrate, all while catching up on sleep/schoolwork. The cost of hotels and flights will be absurd, getting kids to come to this event will be near impossible, their grades will further suffer, and if a team can't attend that championship imagine FIRST trying to get a team from the finalist alliance there in 2-3 days.

I'd bet the FOC teams had enough trouble making it to an event months later, so giving our championship teams a week seems impossible.
I imagine FIRST could support the travel of Houston teams to Detroit both logistically and financially, and it would cost much less than bringing all the teams to a FoC. They don't have to attend the entire Detroit Champs. FIRST could bring them out Friday evening. The compete Saturday, and return home Sunday morning. Grades don't suffer (or at least more class time is not missed) and the teams will still get their week at home to celebrate.

Make it such that winning alliance teams are the only ones eligible for travel to the Detroit event, and the slots of those teams which can't make it are filled by the closest equivalent from the Detroit event.

Logistical nightmare, yes. Major cost savings, almost definitely.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 11:25 AM
AKA: Tim Flynn
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe), #1228 (RoboTribe)

Rookie Year: 2016
tjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond repute

As another individual who found themselves lucky enough to attend, I agree with many of those who have already commented. An "all Einstein" Festival would have been amazing, but financially and logistically infeasible. We already had enough troubles getting 7/8 to the event!

Perhaps just the finalists from each championship for a "proper" bracket?

In my mind, the best thing you (being the wizards that be) could do, would be to make it last longer than 5 matches. Run exhibition matches, show *off* what these robots are capable of. At Chezy Champs the other day, they ran an all-fuel no gear, no climb exhibition match to show off the awesome fuel scoring capability of both alliances.

As for the television special.... I hope so. The VEX special earlier this year was very nice.

1257 (2016) - Student
1257 (2017-Present) - Overactive Alumnus | 1228 (2017-Present) - I do stuff
KD2KRT
Papers: Encyclopedia Robotica v2 | An FRC Anthology

Last edited by tjf : 09-18-2017 at 11:29 AM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Undeserving of a fan club
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Brian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpatterson1710 View Post
I imagine FIRST could support the travel of Houston teams to Detroit both logistically and financially, and it would cost much less than bringing all the teams to a FoC. They don't have to attend the entire Detroit Champs. FIRST could bring them out Friday evening. The compete Saturday, and return home Sunday morning. Grades don't suffer (or at least more class time is not missed) and the teams will still get their week at home to celebrate.

Make it such that winning alliance teams are the only ones eligible for travel to the Detroit event, and the slots of those teams which can't make it are filled by the closest equivalent from the Detroit event.

Logistical nightmare, yes. Major cost savings, almost definitely.
Logistical nightmare is an understatement. Many teams flat-out wouldn't be able to get approval from their schools in time.

Not to mention the advantages it provides for Detroit teams:
  • Paying for one Championship trip instead of two
  • Having the drive team adrenaline rush of having just played through a dozen playoff matches
  • Being able to sleep the previous weekend

While FOC is obviously not ideal, given the hand of 2champs we've been dealt, I think it's a necessity to crown our World Champions.
2018: Central New York Winner (2791, 340, 5030, 7081), Tech Valley Finalist (2791, 20, 3624, 5123), Darwin Division QF, IRI Invite, Ruckus Winners (3015, 2791, 6868, 3173), Robot Rumble Winners (2791, 5254, 3044)
2017: Tech Valley Winner (333, 2791, 5952), Curie Division QF, IRI Invite, Robot Rumble Winner (2791, 5881, 1880)
2016: Battlecry Winner (195, 2791, 501), Robot Rumble Winner (2791, 195, 6463)

2012-2015, Student, FRC 1257 - Parallel Universe
2015: North Brunswick Finalist (11, 193, 1257)
2014: Clifton Winner (1626, 869, 1257)

2017-present, SLFF - Questionable Decisionmakers
2018: Regular Season Finalist, Championship 3rd Place, Fantasy FIM Finalist
2017: Regular Season Winner, Championship Winner, Fantasy FIM Finalist, IRI Winner
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 11:57 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at Medrobotics
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0088 (TJ2)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

To the many that proposed having CMP(N-1) attend the CMP(Nth), I salute the idea but I don't see this as being anywhere near as entertaining as a full tournament.

For those of you familiar with the District Model, look at it this way:

From my point of view, the DCMP Playoffs are much more exciting to watch than a theoretical playoff system where the winning alliances from the districts competed*. And it wouldn't even be close. The reseeding, redrafting process raises the bar significantly; the best alliances get a lot better.

And that matters if we are trying to hook in the average Joe/Jane.

As to putting yet another burden on teams, yeah, I hear you. AND I think that a lot of teams would find a way to make it happen. I wouldn't be opposed to backfilling with Divisional Finalist if that is what it takes to fill out a tournament. The impact on the level of competition at the FOC V2.0 would be minimal. For the first few years, it may mean that well-funded teams have an advantage over less well-funded teams but I'd get over it**.

Longer term, if the TV (or Netflix or Amazon or TBD streaming for money service) concept works out then there would potentially be money to subsidize teams that attend FOC V2.0.

FWIW, how does the Little League World Series work? Do they get funding to attend or do they have to ask parents and sponsors for more money?

Dr. Joe J.

*forgetting for the moment about conflicts where teams win multiple districts.

**and it is not like this is the only advantage well-funded teams have over competitors -- FIRST is not fair. This should be news to exactly nobody.
Team #88, TJ2

Last edited by Joe Johnson : 09-18-2017 at 12:38 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Mentor
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
FWIW, how does the Little League World Series work? Do they get funding to attend or do they have to ask parents and sponsors for more money?

**and it is not like this is the only advantage well-funded teams have over competitors -- FIRST is not fair. This should be news to exactly nobody.
It's been years, but my brother's all-star team made it to the Little League regionals, and it was totally funded by parents, fundraisers, and sponsors. It was pretty cool, they had a Major League pitcher donate all their jerseys (a team dad happened to dig the foundation to his house). The names, numbers, etc., were all stitched on, which was pretty neat for kids that age. We chartered a bus to Indianapolis, got to tour the Speedway, the team members traded a bunch of pins, and then promptly lost two ballgames to be eliminated. I don't think the next level would have funded teams to attend, but I'm sure the parents, town and business sponsors would have supported it somehow.

I also think at FoC level that some of the "fairness" can be reasonably ignored. For example, instead of seeding matches just seed with a lottery and pre-draft alliances. Then you could pretty quickly be into the tournament, saving everyone some time. By the FoC, everyone should be able to scout each others abilities well enough to make selections. Of course, you'd still have 2-3 practice matches to calibrate, test the field/robots, and knock off the rust.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-18-2017, 02:49 PM
AKA: Jonathon
FRC #0818 (Steel Armadillos)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2015
DuckGWR is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Second, in the early days of FIRST, Dean Kamen included in almost every speech he gave that his vision for changing the culture was to get FIRST on TV so that kids would dream of becoming engineers & scientists in the same way that they dream of becoming professional athletes. I drank that Kool-aid. I STILL believe in that vision
I mean hey, ESPN aired abridged stuff from championships in the 90s, but who knows how many people watched it? From what I've heard, ESPN didn't really like airing robots and events plastered with other sponsors for what they were being paid to air it and raised the rates in the late 90s, which is why it stopped happening.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: