OCCRA
Go to Post The Cheesy Poofs did WHAT exactly? - Liam Fay [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Awards
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2018, 08:05 AM
FRC #1665 (Weapons of Mass Construction)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2017
Aaron Li is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you apply for Dean's List?

How do enter this award competition? I have 0 knowledge of Dean's list.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
img]http://i.imgur.com/hBGnCkd.png[/img
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2018, 08:46 AM
AKA: Paige
FRC #3182 (Athena's Warriors)
Team Role: Human Player

Rookie Year: 2018
PaigeSmellsOwls is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Dean's list

To enter, your mentor must reccomend you for it, due to work and effort shown during Robotics.

To find more on Dean's List, read up on here: https://www.firstinspires.org/resour...bmitted-awards

There it lists all of the awards, including Dean's List, and the requirments for it.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2018, 09:12 AM
FRC #4384 (Benzene Bots)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2009
Sanket Nayak is just really niceSanket Nayak is just really niceSanket Nayak is just really niceSanket Nayak is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Sanket Nayak Send a message via MSN to Sanket Nayak Send a message via Yahoo to Sanket Nayak

Hey Aaron,

I'm super excited that you are interested in applying for this award!

At the simplest form, in order to enter contention for this award, one of your mentors will be required to submit a 4000 character essay detailing your contributions to your team, your dedication to FIRST and commitment toward changing the community around you. Remind your mentor that they should do their best to not only discuss your achievements but the qualities that make you deserving to receive the award.

This essay is due a week after all of the Chairman / Woody Flowers Award submissions and must be submitted by your Lead Coach/Mentor 1 or Lead Coach/Mentor 2 via the Team Registration System. Once your essay is submitted, you are officially a Dean's List Semi-Finalist.

Your mentor will also have to make the decision to sign you up for your interview at one of the events your team will attend. In rare cases, you may be asked to take your interview via video call but usually once you arrive at your event you will sign up for a time at which to take your interview.

The interview is 5-7 minutes long and usually the judges will let you discuss what you want to while providing you some guiding questions.

Here is a great thread for advice on the interview: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...d.php?t=152918

Seeing that your team is a Regional team, if you are selected by the judges as a Dean's List Finalist, you will be allowed to compete at your home Championship regardless of whether your team qualifies. At championships, you will not have an interview and 10 winners from your program will be chosen on the basis of your interviewer's notes and your mentor's essay.

Good luck and please apply! This year was the first year my team nominated someone (me) and I ended up winning at Championships (I still don't know why tbh). Don't think you are at any disadvantage for being the first on your team.

If you have any more questions or want some advice or even want to take a peak at my essay, just shoot me an email at sanket1598@gmail.com.

2018 Dean's List Winner
2014-2018 FRC Team 4384 Benzene Bots
2012-2014 FTC Team 2351 Big Daddy Spartacus Mcfly
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket Nayak View Post
Hey Aaron,

At the simplest form, in order to enter contention for this award, one of your mentors will be required to submit a 4000 character essay detailing your contributions to your team, your dedication to FIRST and commitment toward changing the community around you. Remind your mentor that they should do their best to not only discuss your achievements but the qualities that make you deserving to receive the award.

This essay is due a week after all of the Chairman / Woody Flowers Award submissions and must be submitted by your Lead Coach/Mentor 1 or Lead Coach/Mentor 2 via the Team Registration System. Once your essay is submitted, you are officially a Dean's List Semi-Finalist.

Your mentor will also have to make the decision to sign you up for your interview at one of the events your team will attend. In rare cases, you may be asked to take your interview via video call but usually once you arrive at your event you will sign up for a time at which to take your interview.

The interview is 5-7 minutes long and usually the judges will let you discuss what you want to while providing you some guiding questions.

Here is a great thread for advice on the interview: https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...d.php?t=152918

Seeing that your team is a Regional team, if you are selected by the judges as a Dean's List Finalist, you will be allowed to compete at your home Championship regardless of whether your team qualifies. At championships, you will not have an interview and 10 winners from your program will be chosen on the basis of your interviewer's notes and your mentor's essay.

Good luck and please apply! This year was the first year my team nominated someone (me) and I ended up winning at Championships (I still don't know why tbh). Don't think you are at any disadvantage for being the first on your team.

If you have any more questions or want some advice or even want to take a peak at my essay, just shoot me an email at sanket1598@gmail.com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanket Nayak View Post
Hey Aaron,

OMG Congratulations! Ive been filling out a form for first scholarship at rpi. In the form was also letters of recommendation and i needed one from a mentor. (He said yes btw) I do feel that i may be asking for a bit much but hopefully he'll say yes as he is very busy being the president of the teachers and all. Just confused about a part tho, another thread said that once you enter your a DL finalist? Isnt it supposed to be everyone who enters and gets judged, then the top 2 are finalist and winner?

Are there anything academically that i should achieve to increase my chances? Im trying for 3.8 GPA for rpi.

This is my only year i can have a shot at this... i think. It's only available for sophomores and juniors right?

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2018, 08:15 PM
No longer old enough to volunteer
AKA: Jared Hasen-Klein
no team (Volunteer, 1836 Alum, and extreme instigator)

jaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Li View Post
Just confused about a part tho, another thread said that once you enter your a DL finalist? Isnt it supposed to be everyone who enters and gets judged, then the top 2 are finalist and winner?
Once you are nominated by your team, you become a semi-finalist. If you win at a Regional or District Championship, you become a finalist. If you win at the FIRST Championship (either location), you become a winner.

Quote:
Are there anything academically that i should achieve to increase my chances? Im trying for 3.8 GPA for rpi.
GPA is a factor, but it is not the most important one. Speaking from experience, a 3.8 GPA is more than adequate for being considered. FIRST is essentially making sure that you are able to balance FIRST with school work. Trust me, don't stress too much about this component of the judging.

Quote:
This is my only year i can have a shot at this... i think. It's only available for sophomores and juniors right?
Correct, sophomores and juniors only. Best of luck!
Dean's List Finalist // The Blue Alliance developer // Los Angeles FLL VOY 2017 // CPP 2022 // *52 FIRST Events and Counting! (16,812 miles) * // Team 1836: The MilkenKnights Class of 2018

―――
FREE ROBOTICS RESOURCES // Admin of: FB's FIRST ROBOTICS NETWORK // How to: FIRST DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
―――
"I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary." -Billy Joel
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2018, 08:19 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just confused about a part tho, another thread said that once you enter your a DL finalist? Isnt it supposed to be everyone who enters and gets judged, then the top 2 are finalist and winner?

Really quickly, this is where you need to do like the first response said and read the award description. All of your questions are answered there.

https://www.firstinspires.org/resour...bmitted-awards, scroll down to Dean's List.

Spoiler for tl;wr:
From the document in question:
--Once submitted you are a semifinalist. Each team can have 2. Win the regional/DCMP award for finalist--again each event has 2--and then if you win at CMP you're a Dean's List Winner--10 FRC and 10 FTC students get that one.
--Technically, GPA doesn't count. However, it can be taken into consideration and must be submitted.
--Correct. If you're a senior and will be in college the following year, you're ineligible.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Really quickly, this is where you need to do like the first response said and read the award description. All of your questions are answered there.

https://www.firstinspires.org/resour...bmitted-awards, scroll down to Dean's List.

Spoiler for tl;wr:
From the document in question:
--Once submitted you are a semifinalist. Each team can have 2. Win the regional/DCMP award for finalist--again each event has 2--and then if you win at CMP you're a Dean's List Winner--10 FRC and 10 FTC students get that one.
--Technically, GPA doesn't count. However, it can be taken into consideration and must be submitted.
--Correct. If you're a senior and will be in college the following year, you're ineligible.
Ok. You win at regional/ district champs, you're a DL finalist. But going on to worlds, you win there again, you're part of DL winners. And at regionals/ district champs, there are 2 spots available for DL finalists.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-26-2018, 07:41 AM

Could i ask, how to join the FIRST Ambassadors? I have read this linkhttp://firstinpires.org/resources-li...frc/ambassador
Also, i will be the driver of my team. Can the schedule work out?

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-26-2018, 10:12 AM
AKA: Wesley Soo-Hoo
FRC #0687 (The Nerd Herd) & FRC #4201 (The Vitruvian Bots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
wsh32 is a jewel in the roughwsh32 is a jewel in the roughwsh32 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Could i ask, how to join the FIRST Ambassadors? I have read this linkhttp://firstinpires.org/resources-li...frc/ambassador
Also, i will be the driver of my team. Can the schedule work out?

Student ambassadors at worlds is a group of students who assist and give tours to visitors. Usually they work in 2 hours shifts, though if you are on the drive team, I'd suggest against it, as being a student ambassador requires a time commitment that you probably do not have.

At regionals...it depends on the regional. Some regionals have more well defined ambassador programs than others, but they all usually require a significant time commitment that doesn't match well with being a driver.

Olin College of Engineering Class of 2023
FRC 4201 (2018- ) -- Mentor, Drive Coach
FRC 687 (2014- ) -- Mentor, Team Captain
Newton Division 2018 15th seed, 5th alliance, Semifinalists
Las Vegas Regional 2018 7th seed, 4th alliance captain, Finalists
Los Angeles Regional 2018 3rd seed, 2nd alliance, Semifinalists
Los Angeles Regional 2017 Dean's List Finalist
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-26-2018, 01:16 PM

jaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsh32 View Post
At regionals...it depends on the regional. Some regionals have more well defined ambassador programs than others, but they all usually require a significant time commitment that doesn't match well with being a driver.
You can always email the Regional Planning Committee before an event and ask if there is a need for ambassadors. I would hate for you to plan that as your only competition role, only to find that the event doesn't need ambassadors or that there is a limited number of slots.

Dean's List and Drive Team are not mutually exclusive. Nor is Dean's List and Student Ambassador. The only sticky situation is Drive Team and Student Ambassador as Wes mentioned, but you still might be fine with careful planning.

As someone who has been a Student Ambassador at more Regionals than I can count and at the FIRST Championship, I highly recommend this experience for any student - Dean's List candidate or not. You usually will get to meet some interesting and/or important people and you'll learn a lot about the inter-workings of events and techniques for speaking and presenting. This is also a great opportunity to meet individuals from other teams who are Ambassadors. I'm still in close touch with some of the people I met as an ambassador at Champs a few years back.
Dean's List Finalist // The Blue Alliance developer // Los Angeles FLL VOY 2017 // CPP 2022 // *52 FIRST Events and Counting! (16,812 miles) * // Team 1836: The MilkenKnights Class of 2018

―――
FREE ROBOTICS RESOURCES // Admin of: FB's FIRST ROBOTICS NETWORK // How to: FIRST DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
―――
"I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary." -Billy Joel
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-26-2018, 01:33 PM

I'll see if i can work things out. If it's like last year again, where our robot was a techincal difficulty, i may not have time for it. But i do want to try it out.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-27-2018, 10:16 PM
AKA: Navid Kashem
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
Akalumous is on a distinguished road

Is it required that both Dean's List nominees from a team be submitted at the same regional? Or is it possible to submit them at different ones?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akalumous View Post
Is it required that both Dean's List nominees from a team be submitted at the same regional? Or is it possible to submit them at different ones?
From memory I believe it needs to be the same event, but am not 100% sure. If you can't find a definitive answer here or in official docs, call FIRST to find out.

If a student cannot attend a certain event, they can still be eligible to win there so long as they have a video interview before the event - but you'll need to work on this in advance.

―――
―――
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Reader of Things
AKA: Victoria
FRC #1939 (Kuhnigits)

Rookie Year: 2006
vhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've been a submitter. Unless they've made a change to the web form this year, they have to be submitted to the same event.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They must both be nominated at the same event. From the award description:
Quote:
After careful review of the criteria for the Deanís List Award, each FIRST Robotics Competition and FIRST Tech Challenge team is invited to nominate up to two student members as Semi-finalists who are 10th or 11th grade students. Itís important that teams nominate only those students they believe are truly deserving of this honor. A mentor, who is not related to either of the students chosen as the teamís Deanís List Semi-finalists, shall complete and submit the application in the Team Registration System to compete for the FIRST Deanís List Finalist designation at one (1) qualifying event. Students previously selected as FIRST Deanís List Semi-finalists or Finalists in a prior year are eligible for nomination again this year provided they meet all of the criteria.
I can confirm that the dashboard only allows a single event to be selected for both nominees.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: