OCCRA
Go to Post I've ridden the real Segway many times and I think it is a truly remarkable machine and worth every cent (if you have enough cents to spend on it). - sanddrag [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Circuit Breaker
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Pat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Pat Fairbank
Archimedes Abduction

Archimedes Abduction
By Patrick Fairbank

It all started on Thursday, April 21, 2005, when 340 teams awoke in Atlanta to a morning of Perpetual Chaos (931). The sky resounded with ThunderBots (980) and Lightning Lancers (1444), and it was raining RoboKatz (1653) and Robodogs (435) (since, of course, it was the day of a R.O.B.O.T.I.C.S (107) competition). Students, mentors and spectators R.U.S.H (27)-ed to the venue, wearing their Devil Duckies (1266) so as to not get their feet wet and arrive looking like Children of the Swamp (179).

The Adidarons (476), known for being both Pioneers (40) and Pi-Oneers (1676) in the use of Atomsmashers (1180) on their robot, were the first to reach the Archimedes pits.

“ThunderChickens (217)!” exclaimed Gus (228) McKinley (368), as he reached his team's empty pit. “Where's Waldo? (1547)!!”.

“Uhh... our robot is called the Adambot (245), remember?” shot back his teammate Max (1071).

“Look!” called the RoboVikes (701), the next team to arrive, pointing to the Adidarons' crate, which had been Cast Aways (803) down the aisle, with its Rat Pack (830) -ing material scattered about in a state of Entropy (138).

“The robot's been abducted! What kind of B.E.A.S.T. (71) would have done this?” cried a mentor. The members of the team shook their heads in confusion, trembled with R.A.G.E. (173), and alternated between being Rhodes Maniacs (274), Mechatronic Maniacs (1027) and Tech-no-Maniacs (1286), in a state that can only be described as being Technonuts (155).

Gus tried to remain calm. “Perhaps the Adambot has been abducted by little green Martians (494). Or possibly criminals of a different colour, such as Blue Robodevils (896) or Blue Falcons (1597), took it.”

“It could be a Cat Attack (451) from the X-Cats (191) Consortium. They do have a force of Bobcats (128), Leopards (57), Bionic Tigers (1592) as well as the latest in Cutting Edge (845) technology, Lehman Lionics (1230), on their side,” Max chimed in.

“Of course, no-one but the Midnight Mechanics (812) would have had access to the pits last CRyptonite (624), unless they were Robowizards (1508) or skilled at long-distance Eagle Engineering (1138)”. Gus stood pondering quietly while his teammates shouted wildly amongst themselves about calling in the Epsilon Delta (116) Force and the Juggernauts (1) to take action against whatever Monsters (308) had taken the 'bot. This created a huge Sachem Aftershock (263) in the now-full pits. “Think Pink (233)... Think Pink...” Gus thought to himself as he noticed the lingering smell of smoke – the smell of Burning Magnetos (342), to be more specific.

Suddenly, in a Betaflash (1014) of Fuzzy Logic (997), he triumphantly exclaimed “Waialua (359)!!!”.

“What is it?” everyone shouted back. “When? Where? Why? Who'sCTEKS (716)? How?”

“Elementary, my dear WATSON (957) – the answer is not at all Revolution (1251)-ary! Where there's smoke, there's F.I.R.E. (322), and therefore dragons must be implicated in this plot: both the Platinum Dragons (1345), who inhabit Rocky Mountain (662), and the more ordinary variety of Dragons (527) from the Mojave (1641),” explained Gus to his captive audience. “Don't let your Hokie Guard (401) down – they may have left Robotniks (1211), which whom they have a Simbotic (1114) relationship,” he added.

“Dragons? Your theory Bears (766) reason,” a FIRST volunteer agreed. “Better send in the knights.”

A large robot rescue force was assembled consisting of all varieties of knights, including NASA Knights (122), Northern Knights (296), TechnoKnights (515), Robo Knights (612), Cavaliers (1370), Mech Warriors (573), and just in case the enemy was in possession of Delphi E.L.I.T.E. (48) Skillz Tech (335) armour, Cyber Warriors (371). The NEW Apple Corps (93) was summoned from River City (1094) along with their Robodogs and RoboDawgs (288), known collectively as the Huskie Brigade (65), to track the Adambot by its smell of magic smoke and WD-40.

To make a really long story really short, an epic adventure ensued with such elements as a fleet of Mastery Charter (1394)-ed Jag-tron'x (588) vehicles, an enormous battering Ram Robotics (1497), and an elaborate sting operation in which the 'bot-napper dragons were duly RoboStang (548). The Adambot was successfully rescued, and was returned just in time to be inspected before pits closed Thursday evening.

(... In reality, of course, we all know that the 'bot somehow became self-aware, broke out of its crate and burnt out its own high- Voltage (386) magnetos with an almighty KRUNCH (79) while trying to autonomously score a few Triple Plays, before Rocketeer (20) -ing off downtown in despair, driving in the wrong Timberlane (350), to a bar where it hung itself. But where's the Phi Pi Pho Phun (1517) in that story? )

So that's the story of all 85 Archimedes teams. Anyone from Galileo and Curie up to the challenge of writing one?
Special thanks to Andy Baker for the inspiration to write this, and to the FIRSTwiki for most of the team names.
Team 296 | Alumnus (2001-2004) | Mentor (2005-2006)

patfairbank.com

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 04-16-2005 at 06:16 AM. Reason: requested
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 05:10 PM
Copioli is the man!!!
FRC #1403 (Cougar Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1997
slickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to slickguy2007
Re: Archimedes Abduction

That was amazing. Great job on that!

GO 1403!!!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

/me stands up and applauds

Bravo, Bravo! Way to go, Pat. The flow was great, the coupling of similar names was exquisite, it had a good beat and I could dance to it. This is fun.

Andy Baker
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Team 107 Holland Christian / Metal
None #0107 (Team Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 1997
Jim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud ofJim Schaddelee has much to be proud of

My jaw has hit the floor,that is GREAT!I think you must have a lot of time and talent.

Jim schaddelee
team 107
2005 West michigan Champs with 93 and 66
2005 Johnson & Johnson sportsmanship (west michigan)
2005 web site award
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Its been a long time.
AKA: Stevie Alvarado
FRC #0065 (The Huskie Brigade)

Rookie Year: 2003
xzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to xzvrw2

THAT IS CRAZY GOOD!!!!! WOW man you must have thought really long and hard on that. man i applaud you on your creativity.
my FIRST acomplishments: 2003:GLR Chairmans winner, MWR Finalist, Archimedes Division winner, National Champion (w/ 111 and 469) 2004:MWR Finalist 2005:GLR Chairmans winner, MWR Finalist, MWR Innovation in Controls award 2006:hmmm wow, umm we got picked 4th overall at Nats by 121
my FIRST resume: 65 (2003-2006)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Holla!
None #1403 (Cougar Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
JDizzle will become famous soon enough

That's amazing!!! How long did it take to do that???
2004 NJ Regional Rookie All-Star
2004 NJ Regional Highest Rookie Seed
2004 Chesapeake Regional Xerox Creativity Award
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Circuit Breaker
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Pat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Pat Fairbank

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle
That's amazing!!! How long did it take to do that???
I spent an hour or so Monday evening looking up the team names, three hours last night writing the first draft, then had all day today at school to mull it over and do about half an hour's worth of modifications when I got home. It was a lot of fun to write.
Team 296 | Alumnus (2001-2004) | Mentor (2005-2006)

patfairbank.com
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Engineer disguised as a Physicist
AKA: Leslie Salas
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Winged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Winged Wonder Send a message via Yahoo to Winged Wonder

thats awesome, Pat! great job; it was fun to read and see how you incorporated all of the team names!

I GIVE FREE HUGS AT COMPETITIONS!! (just ask!) | Real Men Wear Bodypaint Pink! | Good Luck This Year!!

Embrace your inner dorkiness, because face it, life is too short to be cool.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 05:39 AM
GM/Kettering Mentor
FRC #0322 (F.I.R.E)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Will Hanashiro is just really niceWill Hanashiro is just really niceWill Hanashiro is just really niceWill Hanashiro is just really niceWill Hanashiro is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Will Hanashiro

niiiiiiiiice!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

There is a fine line between genius and insanity, watch your step! Great writing, it is just the kind of thing that opening ceremonies needs. It could be a great video.
www.wildstang.org
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 08:20 AM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Thanks, that brought a smile to my face!

www.firstinspires.org | www.nefirst.org | www.firstnemo.org

Helping mentors since 2004
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 09:14 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

I need to start using "ThunderChickens!" as an exclamation; that is the best thing I've heard all day.

Good job
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 10:03 AM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
FRC #3314 (Mechanical Mustangs)

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future

Another Awesome Job

Rep Point for Archimedes First Divisional Story =)

you can find your story in the new thread Nationals - Divisional Stories 2005
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'15 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'15 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'15
2015 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2015 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg. & Championships
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.

Last edited by mtaman02 : 04-15-2005 at 02:19 AM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Lifer
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the Herd)

Rookie Year: 2003
Francis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond repute

Most excellent dude! Certianly made me smile.

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
Snapchat

A proud alumnus of teams 134 and 40 || Mentor of Team 190 || WPI Manager of Robotics Initiatives
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: