OCCRA
Go to Post If it's the loss of American lives that concerns the nation, why not campaign aggressively against smoking, or improve automobile safety? At least then, the benefits will be tangible, and substantially more significant to the well being of the locals. - Tristan Lall [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Pneumatics
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 03:11 PM
AKA: Braeden (I speak for myself, not for my team)
FRC #3461 (Operation P.E.A.C.C.E.)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Zem will become famous soon enough
Pressure not rising smoothly

Hello CD

My air system is not building pressure smoothly. The needle on the stored pressure gauge shakes back and forth about 15 to 20psi as it goes up. This worries me because my pressure switch now does not read 120psi until the true pressure in the tanks it about 135 to 140psi.
Can anyone please help me? Is there something wrong with my compressor?
By the way I am using this compressor from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Viair-90-Comp...dp/B002A65JR6/
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pressure not rising smoothly

Are the compressor and tank connected by a long thin tube, and is the gauge at the compressor end? If so, this is probably just the regular cycle of the compressor; like all displacement pumps, it generates surges of pressure. (E.g. a heart beat). To get a more even measurement, locate the gauge (and pressure switch, BTW) as close to the tank as possible. If you don't have an accumulator tank at all, you should.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 08-14-2018 at 04:18 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Braeden,
This is normal behavior while the compressor is running. However, it is unusual for the system to shut off using the pressure switch above 120 PSI. It is possible for there to be a restriction between the stored pressure gauge and the pressure switch that would delay the turn off of the compressor. If you use teflon tape (I hope you do) then it is possible for the tape to have blocked the entrance to the pressure switch. Most teams will place the pressure switch and the stored pressure gauge very near each other. Failure for the pressure switch normally occurs when the diaphragm in the switch has a leak. This leak can be heard near the switch when there is pressure in the system and the robot has been disabled. When in doubt try another switch.
www.wildstang.org
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 04:58 PM
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

These pumps are piston pumps. The gage needle shaking is normal.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 11:16 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

My personal preference on locating the gauge is at the far end of the high-pressure side of the system from the compressor: just before the regulator to low pressure. Then a second gauge on the regulator (for the low-pressure side). Takes all the shaking out, and also puts the gauges closer together so it's easy to check both at inspection. Some vibration is normal, but it should slow down as the system pressurizes.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2018, 06:53 PM
AKA: Braeden (I speak for myself, not for my team)
FRC #3461 (Operation P.E.A.C.C.E.)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Zem will become famous soon enough

This has helped thank you. I moved my gauge and pressure switch behind the tanks and it works great now.
Thank you.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2018, 10:13 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zem View Post
Hello CD

My air system is not building pressure smoothly. The needle on the stored pressure gauge shakes back and forth about 15 to 20psi as it goes up. This worries me because my pressure switch now does not read 120psi until the true pressure in the tanks it about 135 to 140psi.
Can anyone please help me? Is there something wrong with my compressor?
By the way I am using this compressor from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Viair-90-Comp...dp/B002A65JR6/
For others that may come across this thread in the future... I've seen bad gauges cause confusion in the past. I had a team whose compressor "never" shut off - aka the high pressure gauge read 140+ and we stopped it. We confirmed correct working of code by manually triggering it by shorting and opening the wires, we replaced the pressure switch, and finally when we replaced the gauge we got different readings that showed everything was working correctly. So, if you see a discrepancy between the pressure switch and the pressure gauge, remember that either one could actually be the problem!
2016: Lake Superior WFFA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: