OCCRA
Go to Post Accidents happen, but they can be prevented with just a LITTLE bit of forethought. - AdamC [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 07:35 PM
FRC #1940

zachriggle is infamous around these parts
[Help] OI Modification

What is the legality of opening up the OI and, say, replacing some of the LED's with piezoelectric speakers? I'm thinking a lock-on tone (when the camera has a lock on the target at 5ft., and has aligned the launching mechanism accordingly) would be a lot better than a lock-on LED. Taking your eyes off the robot to keep checking for a lock = bad.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Software Engineer
VRC #0111 (Wildstang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1995
Dave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [Help] OI Modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachriggle
What is the legality of opening up the OI and, say, replacing some of the LED's with piezoelectric speakers? I'm thinking a lock-on tone (when the camera has a lock on the target at 5ft., and has aligned the launching mechanism accordingly) would be a lot better than a lock-on LED. Taking your eyes off the robot to keep checking for a lock = bad.
Not even remotely legal. Remember though that the OI has LED outputs available on some of the joystick ports - but you can only draw 10ma of current from them.

Another consideration is that the competition venues are extremely noisy and it might be very difficult to hear a buzzer or sound.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Gone the way of the dinosaur
AKA: "Big Mike"
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mike Schroeder Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Schroeder

definatly illeagal, but also if you screw up and break your OI you void your warrenty...

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"-JFK
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 08:03 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

The definitely legal way to do this: attach a portable computing device (see <R74>, <R77>, and <R78> for applicable rules) and rig it to give the sound. This is assuming you can hear the noise in an arena with loud music and cheering, of course. I'm not sure that modifying the OI in this way is legal, even if it were a good idea (which it isn't).

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

See the OI documentation available here. The LEDs are "echoed" on the PWM connectors. If you can find a beeper that works at 10 milliamps, and that you can hear over the noise at competition, go for it.

If the issue is just not wanting to look away from the field to see the indicator, you might consider a "head-up display", with one or two LEDs mounted to the corner of your operator's safety glasses and wired to a connector on your OI.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

See the second sentence in Rule <R61>.

It has been said before, but it is worth saying again: please read ALL the rules for the game! In particular, read sections 3,4,5 and 6 carefully. The manual is chock-full of really useful information.

The 2006 FRC Manual: Read it. Learn it. Know it.
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 10:07 PM
FiM Volunteer
FRC #0067 (HOT Team)
Team Role: Alumni

Pat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pat McCarthy

If you're looking to do a lock-on indicator, a visual cue is much more effective field-side. Back, in 2003, 67 used a hat-mounted LED to tell the stacker operator when the stack was secured by the stack-hold-down mechanism. So, in any case it is possible, and in fact, we're probably going to do the same target-lock idea you're aiming to do this year as well.
2008 Volunteering: WMR Planning Committee, WMR Scorekeeper, MARC Ref, IRI Scorekeeping, WMRI Scorekeeping & DJ
2009 Volunteering: Kettering District, MARC, IRI, and WMRI Scorekeeper/Field Power Controller
2010 Volunteering: Kettering District, MARC, IRI, and WMRI Scorekeeper/Field Power Controller
2011 Volunteering: Waterford District, West Michigan District, MARC, & IRI DJ
2012 Volunteering: Waterford District, West Michigan District DJ
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 10:33 PM
FRC #1940

Ooh, I like that idea a LOT more, actually. We'd need a hella bright LED array, though. Anyone know where to get a bunch cheap blue LED's (don't say Radioshack, because I said *cheap* LED's)?

Speaking of LED's... is it legal to interfere with other teams' guidance systems (i.e. spewing lots of IR all over the field in order to mess with proximity sensors). I know it's not legal to cause physical damage, but the rulebook said nothing on this sort of defense.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 10:36 PM
FRC #1940

How many portable computing devices are we allowed to bring? (I was thinking along the lines of a laptop for software reprogramming/modification, and my PDA to link to one of the serial ports to display performance data, etc.).
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 11:38 PM
ooh, what does this button do?
AKA: Kyle
FRC #1318 (the IRS (Issaquah Robotics Society))
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
sciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud of

Quote:
How many portable computing devices are we allowed to bring? (I was thinking along the lines of a laptop for software reprogramming/modification, and my PDA to link to one of the serial ports to display performance data, etc.).
You may bring as many computers as you want to the competition, for use in the pits. However, that doesn't mean you will be allowed to use them on the field.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Software Engineer
VRC #0111 (Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1995
Dave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ooh, I like that idea a LOT more, actually. We'd need a hella bright LED array, though. Anyone know where to get a bunch cheap blue LED's (don't say Radioshack, because I said *cheap* LED's)?
The LED outputs on the OI are current-limited to 10 milliamps. This basically means you can connect only one LED to each output.
Quote:
Speaking of LED's... is it legal to interfere with other teams' guidance systems (i.e. spewing lots of IR all over the field in order to mess with proximity sensors). I know it's not legal to cause physical damage, but the rulebook said nothing on this sort of defense.
You really should read through the whole manual... this question is also addressed directly:
Quote:
<R31> No devices or decorations are permitted on the robot that are intended to jam or interfere with the operation of the vision system (i.e. changing robot color to confuse opponent’s vision system).

<R59> Custom Circuits may not:
• Interfere with the operation of other robots
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2006, 08:24 AM
FRC #1940

Is that in the Game section or Robot section (dont have a rulebook handy on me at the moment).

@Edit
Also, the "hella bright LED array" would not be on the OI, but rather on the robot itself (as had been suggested for a visual-cue for a lock-on, as opposed to a (however cool) lock-on tone).

Is there a milliamp limit on LED`s on the robot itself?

Last edited by zachriggle : 01-28-2006 at 08:27 AM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You won't find any rules for this but Gracious Professionalism keeps you from even thinking about it.
www.wildstang.org
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2006, 09:13 AM
no team (NEW Apple Corps)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Katie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Katie Reynolds Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Reynolds

Quote:
It's also illegal to use this "defensive" method.

<R31> No devices or decorations are permitted on the robot that are intended to jam or interfere with the operation of the vision system (i.e. changing robot color to confuse opponent’s vision system).

FLOWCHART: (Page 14, Section 5) Question 1: "Is the part a safety hazard or likely to damage robots, the field, or interfere with the humans or the controls?" ---> "YES" ---> "No! It may not be used!"

Also ...

Quote:
It was mentioned above that you can bring as many laptops and PDAs as you'd like, but as for using them on the field, that's a no-no.

Interfere with the operation of other robots
• Directly alter the power pathways between the battery, fuse blocks, speed controller/relay, and motor. Custom high impedance voltage monitoring or low impedance current monitoring circuitry connected to the robot’s electrical system is acceptable, because the effect on the robot outputs should be
inconsequential.
• Directly affect any output devices on the robot, such as by providing power directly to a motor, supplying a PWM signal to a speed controller or supplying a control signal to a relay module
Be used for wireless communication, such as sending or receiving a signal to and/or from the alliance station
Connect to the radio or tether ports on the Robot Controller
Team #93 - NEW Apple Corps
Student - 2001-2004
Team #857 - Superior Roboworks
Mentor - 2006-2009
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2006, 12:46 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Reynolds
It was mentioned above that you can bring as many laptops and PDAs as you'd like, but as for using them on the field, that's a no-no.

Interfere with the operation of other robots
• Directly alter the power pathways between the battery, fuse blocks, speed controller/relay, and motor. Custom high impedance voltage monitoring or low impedance current monitoring circuitry connected to the robot’s electrical system is acceptable, because the effect on the robot outputs should be
inconsequential.
• Directly affect any output devices on the robot, such as by providing power directly to a motor, supplying a PWM signal to a speed controller or supplying a control signal to a relay module
Be used for wireless communication, such as sending or receiving a signal to and/or from the alliance station
Connect to the radio or tether ports on the Robot Controller
Yes--and no. You are allowed to hook them up to the OI, as per the rules in my previous post in this thread. You can have the RC tell the OI to make x device make y noise. That's legal. Having a portable computing device (laptop, PDA, etc) on the robot--the inspectors will call you on it pretty quickly, and so will the refs if the inspectors miss it.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: