OCCRA
Go to Post When Andy Baker holds an iPhone 4 in his left hand, the signal [i]increases[/i]. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 12:21 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Less Interest in Robots in the pits this year?

This year it seemed like there was a major reduction of people asking in depth questions about robots in the pits. Likewise, there seemed to be a major reduction of the number of people going in depth talking about features of their robots? Did anyone else notice this? Maybe it is because 2/3 of the robots had the same gearbox, and many robots had similar arms? A lack of variety perhaps? Or maybe it is because there aren't many robots that really stick out at being effective at the game; they are all pretty good?

I don't know. To me, it really seemed like we didn't get any "oh how'd you guys do that?" or "what makes that work?" or "do you have drawings for this mechanism?" or "I really like the way you..." etc questions/comments while in the pits.

In 2003 when we linked together a Chiaphua motor with a Drill motor with sprockets and chains and had it geared for a final speed of 11 fps. Like half the teams in the competition thought that it was the latest greatest thing (having a fast/powerful 4 motor drive) and they all had so many questions, even though it was so simple.

Now, many of us take it way above and beyond that, yet people just don't really seem interested.

Why is this?

PS. I hope next year's game really brings a lot more variety and inovation in drive systems and has the opportunity/requirement for more than one mechanism
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Awards/Photo/Video "wizard"
AKA: Doug Hitchcock
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
dhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant future
Re: Less Interest in Robots in the pits this year?

Our rookie team received a lot of interest for a lot of reasons.

But, for the "robot" questions, I'd have to say that it's the fault of the person who wrote the scouting form and/or coached the scouting team to NOT go and ask the in-depth questions of each pit team.

Now, also, there are a LOT of teams to scout out, so you have to get to the target teams and ask quick, crisp, sussinct questions in the pits to find their strengths and weaknesses.

So, no I don't think there was any "less interest" in the robots in the pits. Also, I saw a lot of teams TOUTING some particular feature on their pit storyboards, so maybe then you don't need to re-ask the question when the answer is posted in front of you.

Also, it's a two-way street. The pit crews should be SOLICITING input from other teams by saying "Hey, want to see my fancy multi-speed, mega-horsepower drive assembly?"

RollingThunder....Winner of the 2007 Chairman's Award at Finger Lakes Regional and Spirit Award at Boston.....Winner of 2006 Finger Lakes Regional Engineering Inspriation and Boston Imagery awards.......Winner of 2005 World Championship Rookie All-Star (plus FLR Rookie All-Star, Buckeye Top-Seeded Rookie, GTR Champion, Spirit, and Inspiration)

"Gracious Professionalism is a WAY of life".....
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 12:33 PM
AKA: 2415
FRC #2415

Rookie Year: 2004
santosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to santosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag
Maybe it is because 2/3 of the robots had the same gearbox, and many robots had similar arms? A lack of variety perhaps?

PS. I hope next year's game really brings a lot more variety and inovation in drive systems and has the opportunity/requirement for more than one mechanism
I agre on those two things. Alot of the robots were the same because there was relly on 1 ting ll the teams did. Stack on top.
kiddies kiddies kiddies
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 01:29 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

unless you had a total different arm never seen before you weren't asked many questions...the drive chains were simple too...nothing completely fancy...

so many more teams and matches to scout time was a bit short especially for smaller teams.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 01:57 PM
well........
AKA: Just Julie!
FRC #0538

Rookie Year: 2003
JulieB is a name known to allJulieB is a name known to allJulieB is a name known to allJulieB is a name known to allJulieB is a name known to allJulieB is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to JulieB

i saw three basic designs
1) Pyramids
2) all 80/20 lift systems
3) and boxes

nobody was really unique this year
seems some are scared to chance with different drive train and such.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it is really too bad that there wasn't even one unique drive train. I was always on the lookout for some team that did something different that just four Chiaphuas and the kit gearboxes, but could never seem to find one...

(gently removing tounge from cheek)

There were actually a number of very unique designs and innovative components this year. Because many of the "basics" were provided in the kits this year, many teams were able to focus their attention on developing new capabilities at a more detailed level than before. One side-effect of that is the new developments might not hit you in the face when you first looked at a robot, because their physical manifestations were more subtle. But I would posit that things like the noticeable increase in the use of PID controls, subtle refinements in choice of materials for wheel surfaces, gripper designs (anybody else pay attention to Team 16?), and many other advances in design were there - if you looked for them - and were significant.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 02:30 PM
It's hard hat time here in Boston
AKA: DFB
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Daniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel Brim has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Daniel Brim

No matter what the game design is, you can come up with something unique. Again, 16 is a good example with their corkscrew. There were unique drive trains (357, 190, and 116 come to mind) and unique arms [shameless plug]like ours[/shameless plug]. If you want more in depth questions, like we had, build a unique mechanism that makes you stand out! While 75% of robots had a "chop stick lift" design, there were unique arms.

Last edited by Daniel Brim : 05-26-2005 at 02:37 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 02:36 PM
AKA: Allison Kneisler
FRC #3538 (Avondale RoboJackets)

Allison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure it had anything to do with less interest in the Robots this year, but with the more hectic pace of the competition. I saw all kinds of systems that I would have liked to study more closely, but with more matches, closer together, and more scouting to do for each match, there just wasn't time.

I did like the 3 vs. 3 format though, even though it meant less time to study other teams.

~Allison
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Superpower: Knows Everyone
AKA: Sara Reffler
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

Rookie Year: 1999
BandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BandChick

There were certainly a LOT of unique features that I saw between Philli, NJ, and Nationals this year. I think, however, a lot of scouting teams feel overly busy and scatterbrained when they're walking around the pits. Usually there is so much information to get done and so little time to do it. A lot of the time, I was just to frazzled to ASK. Sparky actually took the time to EXPLAIN the unique features on their bot.

You can't expect someone to want more information, but if you supply it, most people will listen.

Houston userbars are here, Detroit still to come!

1089 Mentor & Alum | 2018 MAR Championship Finalists
2015 Archimedes Champions | 2015 Einstein Semi-Finalists
2014 & 2016 MAR Championship Finalists | 2014 Bridgewater District Finalists | 2013 Lenape District Finalists | 2011 NJ Regional Finalists
2014 & 2015 Excellence in Engineering Award | 2014 Xerox Creativity Award | 2016 & 2017 Innovation in Control Award
2009, 2011, 2013 KCP&B Entrepreneurship Award | 2012 Gracious Professionalism Award | 2009 NJ Regional Chairman's Award

"Success in life is a matter not so much of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance." C.W. Wendte
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 04:12 PM
AKA: Kim Smith
FRC #1031 (Boilermakers)
Team Role: Driver

Juju1031 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think it was because a lot teams spent more time on perfecting there robots. Also because every had at least 2-3 other teams that looked like it at a regional.
2004 Champions at Pacific Northwest Regional (thanks to teams 492 and 957)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Lifer
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the Herd)

Francis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond repute

In the pits, it seemed like many people were asking about our robot. Regardless, I would say that the lack of interest was because there was only 1 thing that really mattered: scoring tetras. Indeed, there were defensive robots, but the kit transmissions and other similar designs made just about every robot with a low center of gravity a possible defensive robot. And I can personally vouch for the hectic-ness in the pits (try scouting all of Archimedes by yourself ).

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
Snapchat

A proud alumnus of teams 134 and 40 || Mentor of Team 190 || WPI Manager of Robotics Initiatives
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 05:10 PM
CraigHickman

Our team seems to be a contradiction to this... We had many people ask about how we did our swivel drive, or crab drive. I remember at the Sacramento regional the team captain put me in charge of "bragging about the swivel drive" because he was tired of saying the same thing over and over. The answer to why not many teams were asked in depth questions about their drive trains in most likely due to the fact that there were mainly tank drive systems this year. I'd be willing to bet that the teams with strange and innovational drive systems/arms got many people asking questions. wow.... just for the record, that was the longest post of my life.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Git 'em!
no team (Robot in 3 Days)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Rudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 114ManualLabor
I'd be willing to bet that the teams with strange and innovational drive systems/arms got many people asking questions.

Yeah, for our team with the holonomic drive, we didnt stop talking to people. In fact, we had a hard time getting the robot out of the pit to go begin the inspection process!! Every member of our team was talking to people in our pit non-stop the entire competition.

FTC 6323 The Pink TeamMentor
FTC 8996 Pink Fluffy BunniesMentor
FRC 233 The Pink Team Mentor
FRC 1902 Exploding Bacon Mentor
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Producer at The RoboSportsNetwork
AKA: Matt Starke
FRC #0174 (Arctic Warriors); (Alumni: 340 (GRR), 1126 (SparX))
Team Role: Leadership

Starke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond repute

I would actually respond to this Question with a yes and no.

Yes: I saw less talking to scouts and other people in our pit. If people have seen Bertha (340's 2005 robot) we were mainly asked how we fit into the template box. We then would explain how the arm folds. The only other main question in our pit was about the XRP 3 speeds.

No: I know that I asked many teams about their robots. I saw many people around asking in depth questions that were important. Some that come to mind that I asked about are 67 (crab drive and arm), 111 (all of the moving components), 330 (how worked so well and so simple) and 639 (arm and claw).

Compared to last year, 340 definitely saw less in depth questions in our pit. I think for one was that this year we were not as unique. We did not do something that was really innovative compared to other years. Last year we had a very unique tri-wheel design that worked very well and was different than most robots (Seen here and here). I remember that a person from howstuffworks.com interviewed our team about the tri-wheel design.

In my opinion there are mainly two reasons for a decrease of in depth question this year. For one the game this year is mostly about stacking tetras. Also there is not as much time this year between matches because of the 3v3 setup.

Team 340 | G.R.R. | Alumni/Mentor | 2003-2007, 2010
Team 1126 | SparX | Engineer | 2008-2009
Team 174 | Arctic Warriors | Advisor | 2012 - Present
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm parking robot yacht club.
FRC #4991 (Robot Yacht Club)

Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree too, its a matter of Yes and No

Yes, there were a lot of scouts, as always. But instead of scouting technical aspects of a robot they were more intrested in the abilities of it. This year's game was VERY heavy on strategy, there were several matches when Robots with better strategy were able to beat out some robots that we're clearly better than them.

And No, I was one of maybe 2 other technical scouts that i saw at the championship. Their were probably more but I didn't see them really. I mostly went around to robots that i knew had features that stood out and studied and asked how they worked. I got into great conversations with great people on 16, 45, 111, 229, 233, 254, 365 and many, many more on how their robots worked and how some of their features worked and how they got around to fabricating took place. But in the conversations I had I definetly got the impression that people didn't get the chance to talk to other students about how they designed and built parts.

Anyway, what I got to do was talk to a ton of people as well as get some more ideas into my head on how to do stuff next year. If people are intrested in this I highly reconmend trying it out at whatever competition your in next. It would be awesome to see more people get into this type of scouting next year, its a lot of fun and a great way to meet people too. And it never hurts to have a few MORE ideas.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: