Go to Post I would say that you are not an engineer until you've both obtained the aforementioned peice of paper AND done something with your tumescent engineers forebrain. - phrontist [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 12:40 AM
Hello, fellow Chief Delphi lurkers.
AKA: Maya Brandy
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
maya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud of
1678 Citrus Circuits 2017 CAD Release

Team 1678 is proud to release the CAD for their 2017 Robot, Pomelo Pummeler! This robot won the Central Valley, Sacramento, and Las Vegas Regionals in addition to becoming Newton Sub-Division Champions and FRC Championship Finalists at the Houston World Championships. Pomelo Pummeler is expected to compete at Chezy Champs, Capital City Classic, and Madtown Throwdown in the coming 2017 off-season.

A model file (STEP) along with selected renderings are available in our GrabCAD library in addition to on our website under "Resources".

Feel free to email frc1678@gmail.com or 1678mechanical@gmail.com with any technical robot or general team questions.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 01:42 AM
Pool Noodle Thrower
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to behold
Re: 1678 Citrus Circuits 2017 CAD Release

Congrats to 1678 on yet another amazing season!! Your team and robots are always an inspiration. I'm really excited to look through your CAD, thanks for sharing it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that team will be successful
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Programming Lead/Driver
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie)
Team Role: Programmer

pkrishna3082 will become famous soon enough

Congrats on your impressive season and robot! I'll definitely be looking through this for inspiration.

2016: Northern Lights Regional Semifinalist
2017: 10,000 Lakes Regional Dean's List Finalist
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 07:45 AM
FRC #5202

ollien is just really niceollien is just really niceollien is just really niceollien is just really niceollien is just really nice

How did using undermounted electronics work out for you? Did they make maintenance hard?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 08:13 AM
I speak for myself, not for my team
AKA: Mathew Strader
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
stramat8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollien View Post
How did using undermounted electronics work out for you? Did they make maintenance hard?
I can't speak for them, but our team did the under mounted electronics. Honestly as long as we don't have to traverse over any obstacles like Stronghold or Rebound Rumble, We will more than likely put the electronics on the bottom again. No more having mechanisms in the way or tight situations. Just flip the robot up. Plus if you're into the cool factor, when you climb the lights look cool
-North Bay Regional Engineering Inspiration Award 2015

Team 5406 - Celt-X : 2015 - Current, Mentor - Mechanical/Design/Strategy
-Greater Pittsburgh Regional Winners 2016
-Georgian College District Event Winners 2017
-Victoria Park District Event Engineering Inspiration Award 2017
-McMaster University District Event Finalists 2017
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 08:36 AM
AKA: Joshua Bimson
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2014
jlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud ofjlbimson has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stramat8 View Post
I can't speak for them, but our team did the under mounted electronics. Honestly as long as we don't have to traverse over any obstacles like Stronghold or Rebound Rumble, We will more than likely put the electronics on the bottom again. No more having mechanisms in the way or tight situations. Just flip the robot up. Plus if you're into the cool factor, when you climb the lights look cool
This is correct. It worked great for us this year. The only thing to really be careful of is to check underneath the drivetrain after every match and vacuum up anything that could have gotten in the electronics. Other than that, maintenance was easy. It saves a lot of space, especially if the top side of your bellypan is needed for ball storage, like this year.

Last edited by jlbimson : 06-05-2017 at 09:26 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 08:56 AM
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2011
RoseanneKhaleel is an unknown quantity at this point

This is really great, thanks for releasing it. I was looking for a shooter design summer project for the team and this will be enormously helpful as a test case/example.

Congrats on all of your accomplishments!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Gone NE
AKA: Nicholas Dal Porto
FRC #5940 (B.R.E.A.D.)
Team Role: Tactician

frcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond repute

Cool stuff!

Team 5940: 2015-

Volunteer: 300 4000 () miles and counting!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Design Lead
FRC #1360 (Orbit Robotics)

Brian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to beholdBrian M is a splendid one to behold

Amazing CAD, im very inspired some design choices you guys made, I would love to be able to explore individual parts to gain some more knowldege, is there any chance 1678 will release the Solidworks files aswell?

Last edited by Brian M : 06-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 12:01 PM

maya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud ofmaya.brandy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeCADSwag View Post
Amazing CAD, im very inspired some design choices you guys made, I would love to be able to explore individual parts to gain some more knowldege, is there any chance 1678 will release the Solidworks files aswell?
Unfortunately, we generally only release the CAD as a STEP file because it's easier to access and too complicated to release all the part files. Sorry about that.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya.brandy View Post
Unfortunately, we generally only release the CAD as a STEP file because it's easier to access and too complicated to release all the part files. Sorry about that.
That's too bad. Not even a pack-and-go to a zip file? The 300 MB step file crashes my copy of Solidworks every time it tries to convert.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 01:08 PM
Maybe we won't suck in 2018
FRC #2170 (Titanium Tomahawks)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearnerd View Post
That's too bad. Not even a pack-and-go to a zip file? The 300 MB step file crashes my copy of Solidworks every time it tries to convert.
Pack and go should do the trick as far as I know.
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearnerd View Post
Sorry about this. I have the same issue with my computer. However, we'll have to stick with the STEP file in this case, just with our standard. Perhaps if I remove the large electronics and replace them with mock ups it will make the file smaller and easier to download
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM
FRC #6305

Prateekmango is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome resource. Thanks for posting!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Gone NE
AKA: Nicholas Dal Porto
FRC #5940 (B.R.E.A.D.)
Team Role: Tactician

frcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond repute
1678 Citrus Circuits 2017 CAD Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by maya.brandy View Post
Sorry about this. I have the same issue with my computer. However, we'll have to stick with the STEP file in this case, just with our standard. Perhaps if I remove the large electronics and replace them with mock ups it will make the file smaller and easier to download

The problem isn't really the downloading of the file - sure 300mb is big but not a problem for most internet connections. It's the fact the model is so complex that it's crashing people's computers just attempting to open the STEP and interpret it.

Removing components with complex geometry that aren't really needed for comprehending the model (like electronics) would help, but as stated a Pack & Go from Solidworks would be preferable. But, if you have a standard to stick to I get it.

Team 5940: 2015-

Volunteer: 300 4000 () miles and counting!

Last edited by frcguy : 06-05-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: