OCCRA
Go to Post you can't pick and choose which parts of your identity "actually matter" when you post online. Either own all of it or don't post - the disclaimer does nothing. - connor.worley [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 12:56 PM
FRC #4638 (Jagbots)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2012
amesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of light
Team Time Clock - Open source?

I am thinking of implementing a team time clock to keep track of who was where when, and just to reflect on the amount of time spent for documentation for many reasons.

1. To see how much time the team collectively spent
2. Document for 3rd party data.
3. Member activity

What we need is something simple since we are not actually doing payroll. I know we could do it with one computer in the Lab/Shop but convenience often determines the buy in. So a Mobil app with GPS functionality is desired. Additionally, or ideally free. Perhaps I am asking too much. Do anyone have something like this they use?

Any insight?

Thanks.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team Time Clock - Open source?

Any reason setting up a raspi with a card reader wouldnt work? I know theres a couple how-to guides for that somewhere...

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 01:02 PM
FRC #4638 (Jagbots)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2012
amesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of lightamesmich is a glorious beacon of light

I probably would but like I said, trying to make it as streamline as possible and would rather not have to remind everyone to swipe in. Additionally If some team member are doing work at home at night or weekend (programming or CAD) then the one location model wont work.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 01:19 PM
AKA: Clayton
FRC #0100 (The WildHats)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2015
ClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud of

We've been using a (very old) version of Ticketing 4 Schools for attendance and scheduling documentation. It's worked pretty well for us, but it's equally effective to just have a sign-in sheet for what we use.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 01:26 PM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

https://github.com/FRC900/timesheet

We're working on updates to it this summer but lots of teams are using it successfully.

Swiping in is a lot easier than GPS stuff and it becomes habit for the students with little effort.
Clarke's Laws
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 02:02 PM
FRC #5275 (TIME Bots)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2013
arduinokid55 is an unknown quantity at this point

[url="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XK87PP/ref=sspa_dk_detail_6?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B073XK87PP&pf_r d_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=950202000752607969&pf_rd _r=3HR16QZX5KRFNGBQ11NY&pd_rd_wg=xq1F6&pf_rd_s=des ktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=2vI20&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=9246d6ad-5d21-11e8-bbc4-9b4a90820351"]

Our team used this and it seemed to work well. When people came in the door they scanned and then scanned out when they left. The data can be exported onto a flash drive and opens on a excel spreadsheet.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 02:02 PM
FRC #5275 (TIME Bots)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2013
arduinokid55 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XK87PP...4-9b4a90820351
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Mark Hampton
FRC #5847 (Ironclad)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
mark.hampton is an unknown quantity at this point

We use a google form. Super simple, super free. Here's a copy you can look at/steal use etc. I'd suggest using a data validation field instead of the long Multiple Choice option for numbers, but at the time we made it we didn't realize we had that option. Simple is better. And I'd tell kids to round to the nearest hour for simplicity. https://goo.gl/forms/Tr1PjT1j7y3NjgrK2
We also worked up a 'leader board' that's just a pivot table that collects the three categories we used and summarizes by student ID and sorts by total. We can (and do) use the data as ways to prioritize students attending competitions and for other things.

We use TeamApp as our communication system, so we set up a 'button' on the main screen for the Time Card and another button for the Leader Board. It helps with that friendly competition.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 03:27 PM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2008
NickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond repute

We've been using this for a few years:
https://github.com/Team254/cheesy-hours
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickE View Post
We've been using this for a few years:
https://github.com/Team254/cheesy-hours
Quote:
A message consisting of "GTFO" will sign out all the students who are signed in.
Im sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesmich View Post
Additionally If some team member are doing work at home at night or weekend (programming or CAD) then the one location model wont work.
Your best bet may be Google sheets/forms for that then.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Volunteer WPILib Developer, CSA
no team (WPILib)

Rookie Year: 2008
Peter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

This is what 294 has been running on a rPi computer for about 4 years. It can either use a CSV file as backed or connect to a backend database via HTTP. It shows photos of the signed in students if available. https://github.com/team294/signinapp
Creator of RobotPy - Python for FRC
Mentor, Team 294, 2008-2018 (World Champions FRC 2010 & FTC 2008)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 05:33 PM
AKA: Dylan Smith
FRC #1540
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
draconic is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a custom time clock written by our non-robot-software department, where each member has a 2-4 digit ID number that they enter to clock in and out. We're revising it over the summer, and plan to have an easily-packaged version for other teams to use prior to kickoff next year.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2018, 12:21 AM
Controls Engineer
AKA: chakorules
FRC #1501 (Team THRUST)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Chris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond reputeChris_Elston has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesmich View Post
Any insight?
Thanks.
We use:

https://www.easytimeclock.com

I talked to the owner, and they have sponsored us for free for a few years now. We link them as a sponsor on our website or anywhere else we can promote them. You can get an App for your phone to use it as well and does support GPS login, though we never do that because I hate to ask our team people to enable GPS on their phone, so everyone just logins from their phone or a computer when they get to the shop (if they remember....) The only think I wished it had was a LOG OUT everyone button...it does a lot of extra stuff an FRC team doesn't need like vacation days, a tracks payroll but also took a bit to setup the admin stuff behind the scene.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2018, 12:51 AM
No longer old enough to volunteer
AKA: Jared Hasen-Klein
no team (Volunteer, 1836 Alum, and extreme instigator)

Rookie Year: 2009
jaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond reputejaredhk has a reputation beyond repute

Extremely easy solution is to just have a clock in and clock out Google Form. But that's no fun.

We looked at a bunch of different options a few years ago and just weren't really happy with any of them. Most stuff was just far too complicated for what we wanted to accomplish.

In the end, we settled on "write your name on the whiteboard when you come in, and write the time you leave next to it when you go out." And then I would just transcribe in into a spreadsheet. Boring, annoying, but worked for our purposes.
Dean's List Finalist // The Blue Alliance developer // Los Angeles FLL VOY 2017 // CPP 2022 // *53 FIRST Events and Counting! (16,874 miles) * // Team 1836: The MilkenKnights Class of 2018

―――
FREE ROBOTICS RESOURCES // Admin of: FB's FIRST ROBOTICS NETWORK // How to: FIRST DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
―――
"I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary." -Billy Joel
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2018, 06:06 PM
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
legoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to alllegoguy1000 is a name known to all

I have been working on a all encompassing portal for my team 2363, Triple Helix. The main part is hours tracking, but we have integrating annual registration and tracking of payment of dues, STIMS/TIMS registration, paperwork...., Tracking event registration to the point of tracking who can drive to events, who goes in which car, hotel rooms.... I have integrated Slack for notifications and am working on email as well. I am in the process of making a demo site for people to view, here is the url https://portal-demo.team2363.org. There isn't any data yet but i plan to populate with fake data.

Right now it pulls users from a google sheet/form that all students/mentors are required to fill out each year. This counts as their annual registration and imports any new students into the system.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: