OCCRA
Go to Post actually, I don't work with mechanics, so I just barely learned what Lexan was a few days ago...long story... It's amazing the variety of things FIRST teaches us!!! - tribotec_ca88 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Are 1114, 217, and 148 beatable?
No, they are the best. 15 9.74%
Yes, they can be beat. (post who you think is better) 139 90.26%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Mentor for team#3937 (Breakaway!)
AKA: David Bell
FRC #1519 (Mechanical Mayhem)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
dbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to beholddbell is a splendid one to behold
Are 1114, 217, and 148 beatable?

So...
We've seen them each win regionals, and together win the championship event. There is no question that they are a GREAT alliance. But are they the best? Is there an alliance that could beat 1114, 217, and 148? Or not?
What do you think?

This thread was inspired by this thread.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:12 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)
Team Role: Mentor

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are 1114, 217, and 148 beatable?

Nobody is unbeatable. I don't even have to look at their bots to tell you yes. They are beatable. Now the question is, are they going to be beat? don't know. Just going to wait and see.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:16 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
Nobody is unbeatable. I don't even have to look at their bots to tell you yes. They are beatable. Now the question is, are they going to be beat? don't know. Just going to wait and see.
They did lose a semifinal match on Einstein, as I recall. So they are beatable. The question is, is it possible to beat them twice with the same alliance?

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Building cars now....
AKA: Tyler Moser
FRC #2016 (Mighty Monkey Wrenches)

Rookie Year: 2005
Lowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lowfategg

In terms of mechanical ability Simbotics was no better then other top scoring robots (1024 comes to mind). Where 1114, 217, and 148 really shine is in there drivers which did an amazing job.

Unbeatable... no, you just better bring all you have to the table when playing against them.

Mightly Monkey Wrenches FRC #2016 - 2010-12 (Mentor)

Past: FTC #74, FVC #3179, FVC #73, FRC #303, FRC #2753
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:26 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)

Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowfategg View Post
you just better bring all you have to the table when playing against them.
Don't forget to stock up on luck. You'll need some of that too.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowfategg View Post
In terms of mechanical ability Simbotics was no better then other top scoring robots (1024 comes to mind). Where 1114, 217, and 148 really shine is in there drivers which did an amazing job.
Where these 3 teams shine (and others as well), is in the amazing pool of dedication and experience of the coaches working tirelessly with the drivers and the drivers being receptive to them and to the demands of the challenge. It showcases the FRC robotics competition at its best in what can be achieved and in commitment. And that is just on the field...

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 06-25-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: finished my thought...:)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Building cars now....
AKA: Tyler Moser
FRC #2016 (Mighty Monkey Wrenches)

Rookie Year: 2005
Lowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lowfategg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
Don't forget to stock up on luck. You'll need some of that too.
Ya, you need some of that too.

A great drive team is like a family, they share a brain. You don't even need to talk to each other to know what each other is thinking. The only way to get this is by TONS of practice and just having a great time with each other. Pick your drive teams early and practice practice practice and when you get tired of practicing well practice more.

Mightly Monkey Wrenches FRC #2016 - 2010-12 (Mentor)

Past: FTC #74, FVC #3179, FVC #73, FRC #303, FRC #2753

Last edited by Lowfategg : 06-25-2008 at 02:36 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Alumni
AKA: Matt
FRC #2053 (TigerTronics)

tennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to tennispro9911

They are beatable. Everyone is beatable. It wouldn't be easy, but there are scorers that are close enough with 217 and 1114 to keep it close and although I was extremely impressed with 148's defense on Galileo (I think), I was less impressed on Einstien, even though their defense was still admirable. Also, even though no one wants this, I saw 148 break down on Galileo, and miss an entire match, that 217 and 1114 won by themselves, and 217 broke a couple times and fell over.

I'd be interested to see an alliance of Speed Racer, (1519's alternate configuration,) with two top of the line scorers against that alliance. Speed racer has gotten 7 or 8 lines in auto at an offseason event with 10+ laps and up to 13 or 14 I think in teleoperated. I know they contributed 56 pts towards their alliance score in one match. I would be very interested to see if that would offset their defensive inefficiency because it would allow 1114 and 217 to score unimpeded, but even with defensive pressure, both robots scored a great deal.

If there is a defensive robot on the opposing alliance, I would have to suggest they focus mainly on defending 217. I thought that 1114 was in a class of its own in how fast and effectively they accuired the ball and were much more difficult to defend, while 217 could be defended much easier. I would love to see them find their way onto the same alliance at IRI, even though I won't be able to see it in person.

EDIT: Fixed an error.

Last edited by tennispro9911 : 06-25-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Error
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Brainssss....
AKA: Jake Carroll
FRC #1027 (Mechatronic Maniacs)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2008
acdcfan259 has a reputation beyond reputeacdcfan259 has a reputation beyond reputeacdcfan259 has a reputation beyond reputeacdcfan259 has a reputation beyond reputeacdcfan259 has a reputation beyond reputeacdcfan259 has a reputation beyond reputeacdcfan259 has a reputation beyond reputeacdcfan259 has a reputation beyond reputeacdcfan259 has a reputation beyond reputeacdcfan259 has a reputation beyond reputeacdcfan259 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to acdcfan259

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennispro9911 View Post
They are beatable. Everyone is beatable. It wouldn't be easy, but there are scorers that are close enough with 217 and 1114 to keep it close and although I was extremely impressed with 118's defense on Galileo (I think), I was less impressed on Einstien, even though their defense was still admirable. Also, even though no one wants this, I saw 118 break down on Galileo, and miss an entire match, that 217 and 1114 won by themselves, and 217 broke a couple times and fell over.

I'd be interested to see an alliance of Speed Racer, (1519's alternate configuration,) with two top of the line scorers against that alliance. Speed racer has gotten 7 or 8 lines in auto at an offseason event with 10+ laps and up to 13 or 14 I think in teleoperated. I know they contributed 56 pts towards their alliance score in one match. I would be very interested to see if that would offset their defensive inefficiency because it would allow 1114 and 217 to score unimpeded, but even with defensive pressure, both robots scored a great deal.

If there is a defensive robot on the opposing alliance, I would have to suggest they focus mainly on defending 217. I thought that 1114 was in a class of its own in how fast and effectively they accuired the ball and were much more difficult to defend, while 217 could be defended much easier. I would love to see them find their way onto the same alliance at IRI, even though I won't be able to see it in person.
I think you mean 148, 118 is the Robonauts.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Ambitiously Disappointing
AKA: Andy Burchardt
FRC #0171 (Cheese Curd Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute

Looking back on this year, I think a combination of 67, 968, and a working 27 could possibly take them hurdling wise... It would still be close though. This is why we have IRI.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Ready to STRIKE!
AKA: Rick Blight
FRC #0078 (AIR STRIKE)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Rick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond repute

Tie their score in hybrid and you have a chance. Hybrid was a huge part in why these teams did so well. When you look up and have to make up 30-50 points against 3 teams that score non-stop, its tough.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM
My Gaming Is FIRST!
AKA: Joey
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
Joe J. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe J. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe J. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe J. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe J. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe J. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe J. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe J. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe J. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe J. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe J. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe J.

I've said this before and I'll say this again, you CAN NOT declare any FIRST robot or alliance the best or unbeatable unless they have competed against every other robot and/or alliance combination and it won't happen there are just too many teams and too many unknowns, like luck good or bad it plays a part in every competition.

Yes they have lost but they have also won with one robot sitting out and another tipped over those could both be chalked up to luck. No alliance is perfect some might be closer than others but each can still have its flaws.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 03:37 PM
AKA: Steven Greco
FRC #2079
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2007
sgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond reputesgreco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
They did lose a semifinal match on Einstein, as I recall. So they are beatable. The question is, is it possible to beat them twice with the same alliance?
You are right they were beaten however, the first semifinal match 1114, 217 and 148 played on Einstein I believe 217 was tipped over. I know that winning with the other team tipped over is still legitimate.

I think that the last semifinal match on Einstein that 1114, 217 and 148 played was a better indication that they are beatable. I beleive 968 missed a premature hurdle and had to turn around to recover, later in the match they shot the ball out of the playing field. In that match I beleive 60 had two breaking the plane penalties as well. Without these mistakes 968 233 and 60 would have advanced to the finals. I know staying mistake free is part of being a good competitor, but I can definitely see 968, 233, and 60 beating 1114, 217 and 148. (obviously not every time though)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Alumni
AKA: Matt
FRC #2053 (TigerTronics)

tennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to beholdtennispro9911 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to tennispro9911

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdcfan259 View Post
I think you mean 148, 118 is the Robonauts.
Wups. Yes I do. I especially shouldn't have made that mistake because our team competed on Curie with the Robonauts this year.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-25-2008, 04:10 PM
2017... Oooh Kill em, Swerve!
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

One quick thing 968, 233, and 60 beat 1114, 217, 148 the first two matches. They lost one of those 2 matches because of i think a 50 point penalty. i honestly thought that 968, 233, and 60 were going to win it all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: