OCCRA
Go to Post If it reads MINUS voltage, the power is reversed (and this is bad). - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2018, 10:43 AM
no team

Anxjos is an unknown quantity at this point
Talon SR Datasheet

Does anyone have a link or something for the datasheet? I'd like to make a custom talon SR for myself
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2018, 11:02 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Talon SR Datasheet

What goals are you trying to accomplish by designing your own speed controller instead of buying a Spark for $40?

Designing a speed controller that can take the high currents and abuse of an FRC robot is a challenging task. Failures can be devastating and dangerous.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2018, 11:39 AM
FRC #4069 (Lo-Ellen Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2017
Redrield will become famous soon enoughRedrield will become famous soon enough

That's also not mentioning that such a motor controller wouldn't be legal under R35A
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2018, 12:18 PM
AKA: Solomon
FRC #2898 (Flying Hedgehogs)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
solomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant future

The datasheet won't have anything regarding the components or schematics or anything. If you're looking to develop your own DC brushed motor controller, H bridge design is pretty easy to find on the internet - the only major concerns are picking appropriately rated MOSFETs and gate drivers.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Mentor
FRC #3103 (Iron Plaid)

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
What goals are you trying to accomplish by designing your own speed controller instead of buying a Spark for $40?

Designing a speed controller that can take the high currents and abuse of an FRC robot is a challenging task. Failures can be devastating and dangerous.
Yes. At the power levels of an FRC motor controller, the explosions are not that big

If you need a motor controller for higher power levels, you can salvage DC motors (roughly 1 hp) and DC motor controllers from treadmills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomondg View Post
The datasheet won't have anything regarding the components or schematics or anything. If you're looking to develop your own DC brushed motor controller, H bridge design is pretty easy to find on the internet - the only major concerns are picking appropriately rated MOSFETs and gate drivers.
I am not aware that any of the FRC motor controllers have any self protection features. This makes the component selection more difficult.

The physical layout of the components as well has how all the tracks on the circuit board are run is crucial. It takes some skill and experience to do it correctly. This is not rocket surgery but learning how to do it correctly took quite a few years working with people who knew what to do. If it is not done correctly, it is easy to get voltage spikes that kill the switching devices in microseconds. Knowing how to detect stuff like this is part of the skill and it is difficult to teach remotely.

If you are lucky and put together a layout that does not blow itself up, it is still likely to throw off a lot of electrical noise that interferes with the proper operation of your radio and possibly the radio's in other robots.

If you are truly interested in the field of "power electronics", choose a university with the relevant courses. Quite a few schools offer such courses now.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Anxjos,
It has been a while since I discussed this with CTRE guys but I seem to remember that they purchase a power module that has the output MOSFETs packaged and ready to go into the speed controller. I don't remember who they were getting them from but as I remember, the package was also available with heatsink attached.
Remember that much of the box has PWM decoding (for PWM input control) or CAN Buss interfacing (for CAN control). After control is all decoded, then a drive circuit is required to convert the speed into a PWM drive for the output devices. Each device also contains some power supply circuitry to take the 12 volt power input to 5 volts and 3.3 volts for devices that require those supplies. You can do away with lights but they are handy to have when trouble shooting. CTRE has done a very nice job with the design.
You might still find schematics of the original Jaguars that could give you a good idea of the circuitry involved. However there is a lot of info on the net if you search for DC motor controllers.
www.wildstang.org
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM
AKA: Peter FOX
FRC #3418 (RoboRiot)

Rookie Year: 2011
KB9WZD is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are really set on building your own motor controller you might want to look at this Blog, http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?cat=85

I have never even contemplated building my own but there is a wealth of good information there, along with many of the pitfalls and design tradeoffs he ran into.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute

The schematic and firmware for the DMC60 (very very similar to the Victor SP) is available online https://store.digilentinc.com/dmc-60...or-controller/
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Marcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Q has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Anxjos,
It has been a while since I discussed this with CTRE guys but I seem to remember that they purchase a power module that has the output MOSFETs packaged and ready to go into the speed controller. I don't remember who they were getting them from but as I remember, the package was also available with heatsink attached.
The output MOSFETs on CTRE controllers are discrete but they do use a integrated gate driver (Allegro A4957 in the Talon SRX) and a microcontroller intended for motor control (dsPIC33EP64MC504 in the SRX I believe).
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-26-2018, 10:00 AM
Mentor
FRC #3103 (Iron Plaid)

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxjos View Post
Does anyone have a link or something for the datasheet? I'd like to make a custom talon SR for myself
Is this for use in an FRC robot (12 Vdc supply) or is it in some other project with a different supply voltage and different operating conditions?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: