OCCRA
Go to Post A world where lawyers and police don't get much work -- there's a goal to work toward. - Richard Wallace [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 05:09 PM
#GingerPower
FRC #5464 (BluejacketRobotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2015
The Ginger has much to be proud ofThe Ginger has much to be proud ofThe Ginger has much to be proud ofThe Ginger has much to be proud ofThe Ginger has much to be proud ofThe Ginger has much to be proud ofThe Ginger has much to be proud ofThe Ginger has much to be proud ofThe Ginger has much to be proud ofThe Ginger has much to be proud of
One CAD to rule them all

Hello CADers of CD! I just have a quick question for all of you... Which CAD program is best? Last year I went through a horrifying experience of designing our robot in Google sketch up. Not ideal.

So what is the best CADing software? Solidworks, Inventor, or Fusion 360? What are the pros and cons?
Please share your opinion!

Thanks!

(By the way if their is a thread about this please post a link)

"The difficult we do today, the Impossible tomorrow, Miracles by appointment only."
"Theory is a nice place, I'd like to go there one day, I hear everything works there."
"Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot."
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 05:36 PM
AKA: Justin Chau
FRC #1414 (IHOT Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
justin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nice
Re: One CAD to rule them all

Robot in Google Sketch Up - I feel bad for you. I personally prefer Solidworks. A lot of CAD programs are very similar, but Solidworks just feels the most intuitive to me. It is probably because I have the most experience in Solidworks though. If your team is mainly Mac based, Fusion 360 is nice because it's cross-platform. Fusion 360 also has pretty good CAM built in. Although HSMworks is very similar for Solidworks and Inventor. However, I think you'll find that Solidworks and Inventor are much more robust than Fusion 360 in terms of feature set. If you do have access to a lot of windows machines, I would go for Solidworks or Inventor.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 05:36 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

I've used all three and prefer Inventor. Though, Solidworks has a much bigger market share.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 05:48 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Inventor or Solidworks, but Fusion is workable if you can drive either of the others. If you have a group of CADers, Fusion has cloud work built-in.

I feel the pain of Sketchup.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 05:52 PM

justin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nicejustin.chau is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Inventor or Solidworks, but Fusion is workable if you can drive either of the others. If you have a group of CADers, Fusion has cloud work built-in.

I feel the pain of Sketchup.
If you chose Solidworks or Inventor, I highly recommend using GrabCAD for version control, especially if you have multiple CADers.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 05:59 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Still prefer Creo, 8 years after first picking up Pro/E Wildfire... I once had reasons, because I had actually tried recent versions of Solidworks and Inventor, but at this point it's more a matter of being able to do everything I want to do quickly.

If you have mentors that use one, use that. Otherwise, my experience is/was that they're all pretty comparable (at least Solidworks, Inventor, and Creo), and you're better off picking one and just running with it. They all have associated headaches that you'll discover from using them regularly.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Mentor
FRC #4909 (Bionics)

Rookie Year: 2007
skottmorris is a jewel in the roughskottmorris is a jewel in the roughskottmorris is a jewel in the roughskottmorris is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ginger View Post
Hello CADers of CD! I just have a quick question for all of you... Which CAD program is best? Last year I went through a horrifying experience of designing our robot in Google sketch up. Not ideal.

So what is the best CADing software? Solidworks, Inventor, or Fusion 360? What are the pros and cons?
Please share your opinion!

Thanks!

(By the way if their is a thread about this please post a link)
I'll put in another vote for Creo. I grew up learning 3D parametric CAD with PTC and that's why it's still my favorite. I am much more comfortable in the constrained world of Creo vs. the free form world of Solidworks and Inventor.

If maintaining software is not your thing and you want to run multi-platform, check out OnShape. It's cloud based CAD with Goggle Drive "like" file management.

If you're going to pursue an engineering career, you'll need to know some form of 3D CAD. I like Creo and Solidworks since they are mainstream and professional. As mentioned by others, go with a system your mentors know or a system you know and make it your own.

The most important thing is team unity when it comes to CAD. Having team members concurrently designing in two or more systems is not productive. Standardize. The benefits of one system over another are so minor these days, it's not worth the hassle of trying to integrate it all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 06:21 PM
FRC #0058 (The Riot Crew)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
scaryone has a spectacular aura aboutscaryone has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottmorris View Post
If maintaining software is not your thing and you want to run multi-platform, check out OnShape. It's cloud based CAD with Goggle Drive "like" file management.
+1
OnShape is awesome for collaboration. It is getting better every month.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottmorris View Post
I'll put in another vote for Creo. I grew up learning 3D parametric CAD with PTC and that's why it's still my favorite. I am much more comfortable in the constrained world of Creo vs. the free form world of Solidworks and Inventor.
Curious on what you mean by "free form world"? All sketches in Solidworks and Inventor should be fully constrained as well (besides a few exceptions).
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

Solidworks with Grabcad all the way. In my opinion it is the most intuitive and easy for students to learn while being very good for FRC purposes. Added bonus is that there are a bunch of seminars and videos from other teams on best practices for Solidworks out there making it easier to hone your skills specifically targeted at FRC.
Last reason I am very pro Solidworks is that many of my graduating students who study engineering at various universities have reported back to me that they work with Solidworks in their first few years in school so they get a leg up on the competition when they get to school which is the greatest plus of all.
2018 Hudson Valley Finalists
2017 New York City Finalists
2017 South Florida Chairman's
2016 Curie Champions
2016 New York City Champions
2016 New York City Engineering Inspiration
2015 New York City Finalists
2013 New York City Champions
2012 Connecticut Chairman's
2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's

2010 New York City Champions
2008 New York City Engineering Inspiration
2007 New York City Finalists
2006 New York City Finalists
2005 New York City Chairman's
2003 New York City Champions
2002 New York City Engineering Inspiration
2001 New York City Finalists
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 08:16 PM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchau View Post
Curious on what you mean by "free form world"? All sketches in Solidworks and Inventor should be fully constrained as well (besides a few exceptions).
Have you tried Creo? Itís like SolidWorks, but is WAAAAAYYY more frustrating. Part creation isnít terrible, but making assemblies is horrific, and God bless you if you change your mind or want to do some advanced mates.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 08:27 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
Have you tried Creo? Itís like SolidWorks, but is WAAAAAYYY more frustrating. Part creation isnít terrible, but making assemblies is horrific, and God bless you if you change your mind or want to do some advanced mates.
Yeah, youíre blowing that way out of proportion. The learning curve is steep and thereís typically a google or two between wanting to use a constraint and actually using it, but once you learn the constraints IMO stuff for FRC/FTC is pretty sane. Iíll grant you thereís a bit of a steep hill going towards a cliff in getting how it works, but once youíre there it makes plenty of sense.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 08:49 PM
SamD4256
AKA: Sam Dare
no team
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2015
samthesnake has much to be proud ofsamthesnake has much to be proud ofsamthesnake has much to be proud ofsamthesnake has much to be proud ofsamthesnake has much to be proud ofsamthesnake has much to be proud ofsamthesnake has much to be proud ofsamthesnake has much to be proud ofsamthesnake has much to be proud ofsamthesnake has much to be proud of

We use Siemens NX 11 and recommend it if you can get access to it. We have a mentor who works on programming it for a living.

2015 - 2018 FRC Team 4256, Cyborg Cats
CAD and Strategy lead, drive coach
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Fusion 360 is really awesome. I think SW users tend to overlook it as it's quite different from SW and they believe that because of it's more minimalist interface and low cost that it's been dumbed down. It has all the features a FRC team would want, a great sketching environment, collaboration, multi-platform functionality, cloud based storage and repository control, easy to use CAM enviroment and a ton more. It's also really easy to teach to new students and is a little lighter weight performance wise which is great for running on old school computers or student laptops.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 09:02 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadandcookies View Post
Yeah, youíre blowing that way out of proportion. The learning curve is steep and thereís typically a google or two between wanting to use a constraint and actually using it, but once you learn the constraints IMO stuff for FRC/FTC is pretty sane. Iíll grant you thereís a bit of a steep hill going towards a cliff in getting how it works, but once youíre there it makes plenty of sense.
I tried to learn it, TWICE, in two years. I got frustrated at roughly the first tutorial--the first time near the end, the second time I might have made it through a sketch. This was about 10 years ago. I haven't looked back.

OTOH, I can work in either Solidworks or Inventor with a minimum of issues, and Fusion as well (though I'm still getting used to that one). I've tried Sketchup and really don't want to do that again unless I have to (you really can't do precision work to scale in that program).

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: