OCCRA
Go to Post ...too much to do... ...too little time... - Joe Johnson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Pneumatics
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2018, 07:13 PM
FRC #6502 (DARC Side)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2017
nullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant future
High Flow Solenoids Question

Hi CD,

I've been searching for legal high-flow solenoid valves. I found this old thread, which pointed me to this McMaster Carr page.

Would part #6124K275 be legal, by chance? Would it be a good choice for a very quick and powerful cylinder actuation? I can't find much information about high flow double solenoid valves online...

Thanks!

Edit: What does spring return mean? They seem to be cheaper than the ones which don't have that. Do I need spring return/should I go with non spring-return?

Edit 2: Just found this: https://www.andymark.com/mead-double...-p/am-3324.htm

It has a higher Cv than the McMaster Carr ones, and is cheaper. Is there something I'm missing?

"Remember to hacksaw off the rest of the quick grips to give yourself more room" - /u/Tapego

Last edited by nullmainmethod : 01-10-2018 at 07:31 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 06:15 AM
In Transition
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: High Flow Solenoids Question

The primary thing in the rules is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 R83
D. Solenoid valves with a maximum ⅛ in. (nominal) NPT, BSPP, or BSPT port diameter,
Which this seems to meet.

The secondary is its ability to comply with

Quote:
R95. Any pressure vent plug must be:
  • A. connected to the pneumatic circuit such that, when manually operated, it will vent to the atmosphere to relieve all stored pressure in a reasonable amount of time, and
  • B. placed on the ROBOT so that it is visible and easily accessible.
    If the compressor is not used on the ROBOT, then an additional pressure vent plug must be connected to the high-pressure portion of the pneumatic circuit off-board the ROBOT with the compressor (see R87).
Which requires a relieving solenoid valve - when the supply pressure is removed, the pressure down all outputs is vented. I don't see this one way or the other on the page you linked; you'll need to dig to find out.

Finally, spring return is a perfectly valid option, particularly if you have a "default" state for the valve which it will be in most of the time. You must apply voltage to the solenoid for the valve to remain in the activated position with this sort, where a double-acting solenoid will remain in either position when there is no voltage applied to either solenoid.

Note that the McMaster valve you have selected has a 24V solenoid valve. Be sure to move the jumper on the PCM to the 24V position, and do not use any 12V valves on that PCM.

The Mead from AM looks good. I don't see whether it vents in the specs, but it's been on AM for well over a year with no reviews warning that it doesn't, so I'm confident that it complies with the rules. (It looks like these specific rules haven't effectively changed this year).

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 01-11-2018 at 06:19 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 08:43 AM
FRC #0885 (Bruce Force Trauma)

Rookie Year: 2015
SpruceyBrucey has a spectacular aura aboutSpruceyBrucey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullmainmethod View Post
Hi CD,

I've been searching for legal high-flow solenoid valves.
The AndyMark solenoid you mentioned maybe what you are looking for, I know we bought that to use on our summer bot last year. Our gear placer was just a piston to punch it out on to the peg. When we first tested it, the piston pushed the gear through our spring loaded doors and shot it on to the peg almost 2 feet away. The flow rate on that thing is crazy compared to anything else we've used. Would recommend if you want higher flow rate solenoid.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 09:02 AM
AKA: Rick Folea
no team (Forsyth Alliance)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
rfolea has a reputation beyond reputerfolea has a reputation beyond reputerfolea has a reputation beyond reputerfolea has a reputation beyond reputerfolea has a reputation beyond reputerfolea has a reputation beyond reputerfolea has a reputation beyond reputerfolea has a reputation beyond reputerfolea has a reputation beyond reputerfolea has a reputation beyond reputerfolea has a reputation beyond repute

Those valves are also available from AutomationDirect and are almost free if you use the $35 voucher from AutomationDirect.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 07:05 PM
FRC #6502 (DARC Side)

nullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant futurenullmainmethod has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceyBrucey View Post
The AndyMark solenoid you mentioned maybe what you are looking for, I know we bought that to use on our summer bot last year. Our gear placer was just a piston to punch it out on to the peg. When we first tested it, the piston pushed the gear through our spring loaded doors and shot it on to the peg almost 2 feet away. The flow rate on that thing is crazy compared to anything else we've used. Would recommend if you want higher flow rate solenoid.
Awesome, thanks. This may or may not be used to push a power cube, depending on prototyping results.

"Remember to hacksaw off the rest of the quick grips to give yourself more room" - /u/Tapego
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 07:08 PM
FRC #6502 (DARC Side)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfolea View Post
Those valves are also available from AutomationDirect and are almost free if you use the $35 voucher from AutomationDirect.
The Mead valves are available? I don't see them or the ones I linked from McMaster.

I did find these, though: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...)/AVS-5221-24D

Not sure exactly how they compare to the Andymark ones... Cv looks good, but I don't know if there's something I'm missing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: