OCCRA
Go to Post In real life, you paint the number on your OWN forehead. How you dress, how you look, what expression you have on your face, your body language, etc. You may not see the number but it is there. - Joe Johnson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Top-Down Orthographic View of the Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
I don't recall. I've had a busy past couple years. I am curious about this poster though. I don't recall us ever having any NASA posters to give out to anyone. Perhaps you have us confused with someone else? Or maybe our students did something that I am not aware of.
Ill see if i can find it in the shop this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecrafty View Post
It's perspective, notice how you can see how the 3d ends of the field "pop out" and kind of extend outward. If it were orthographic, it would appear as 2d and flat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
More specifically, you can see the inner faces alliance and portal walls. In orthographic, you'd just see the tops. Figures 3-2 and 3-3 in the game manual are orthographic.
Looked this morning, my view was orthographic but the render camera's was in persepctive. This is a perspective image of the field
Quote:
In my mind, due diligence is a part of naming your team. In this day and age of the internet, TBA, and Google, it's easier than ever to do your due diligence when naming a team, to make sure the name is unique.
Back in 2014, our team didnt know that TBA existed. It wasnt something that ever came up. In our minds, if it was an issue TIMS would of yelled at our mentor for being a name "already taken" or something. Heck, it hasnt stopped a team from naming themselves the "Circuit Breakers" this year. Its not like this is the only instance either. Theres 3 teams using "Robostangs," 4 "Full Metal Jackets" (one even before 1296) and a ton of teams using "Dragons" or a slightly altered version of it. Its not like we're trying to steal your image or something.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018

Last edited by MikLast : 01-10-2018 at 09:57 AM.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
So if I started a new team, and just to happened to have named it the "Cheesy Poofs" or "Simbotics" or "Citrus Circuits" or "Robowranglers" that would be okay? If I started a business that made rockets that launch satellites, and decided to name it SpaceX that would be okay? If I started a big-box hardware and materials store and called it Home Depot that would be okay? In my mind, due diligence is a part of naming your team. In this day and age of the internet, TBA, and Google, it's easier than ever to do your due diligence when naming a team, to make sure the name is unique. It's beneficial to all teams to have unique names and brands to avoid confusion.
Large corporations are obviously protected by trademark laws. The importance of their name extends just beyond marketing and brand recognition, it also serves as consumer protection. For instance, I know I have a lifetime warranty on Craftsman tools, which wouldn't be present from a knockoff Craftsman. It serves the public's interest to protect these trademarks to avoid counterfeits.

Within FRC, there are not the same considerations. While a unique brand may help a team, simply naming your team first does not give you exclusivity over the name. You can grant yourself a decent bit of brand protection by picking a unique or highly uncommon name, such as "Simbotics" (which draws from Governor Simcoe Secondary School), which would be highly unlikely to be replicated by another team elsewhere. Using a generic term frequently associated with robotics and electrical engineering such as "Circuit Breaker" offers no such notions of uniqueness. It's asinine to assume that because you incorporated a generic engineering term into your name at an earlier date that no other team should be allowed to also use the same term.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Programmer
AKA: Sam Fuchs
FRC #0236 (TechnoTicks)
Team Role: Programmer

SamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond reputeSamcFuchs has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I'm genuinely impressed by Chief Delphi's ability to go off topic. Is this a record?

2015 - Programming, Electrical
2016 - Lead Programmer, Co-Driver
2017 - Lead Programmer, Co-Driver
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2018, 01:38 PM
FRC #5547 (the talons)

Rookie Year: 2016
lukekaiser is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe Sanddrag is trying to say that before his very original team name there was no such thing as circuit breakers he should have trademarked it! Darn-it-all!

Also I agree with Sam.

Also great looking overhead view
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Engineering Mentor
AKA: Brian O'Sullivan
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Monochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So if I started a new team, and just to happened to have named it the "Cheesy Poofs" or "Simbotics" or "Citrus Circuits" or "Robowranglers" that would be okay? If I started a business that made rockets that launch satellites, and decided to name it SpaceX that would be okay?
We had a rookie team last year nearby that called themselves Robonauts. Sure it's not ideal, but most people just find it humorous.

2018 | Gracious Professionalism x3, Asheville Winners, NCCMP Finalists, NC District - 3rd Rank
2017 | Industrial Design, Gracious Professionalism, NCCMP Winners, NC District - 1st Rank
2016 | Innovation In Controls, Industrial Design, Quality Award, NC District - 4th Rank
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)

MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamcFuchs View Post
Sometimes I'm genuinely impressed by Chief Delphi's ability to go off topic. Is this a record?
We could go farther. I doubt this was the worst.

Back on topic, I went back and properly made the orthographic field in 4k this time, and in perspective too if anyone wanted that.

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 02:20 AM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute

But we aren't companies, we are high school teams. A lot of high school sports/school mascots have overlapping names, it's more common than not in high school sports I would wager. That's why we also have our team numbers to make us unique.

Just look at the Wikipedia disambiguation page for the Blue Devils, the mascot and team identity of the Davis Senior High School sports teams.

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 02:29 AM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
We could go farther. I doubt this was the worst.

Back on topic, I went back and properly made the orthographic field in 4k this time, and in perspective too if anyone wanted that.
This resolution pleases me!

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 02:43 AM
FIRST? What's SECOND?
AKA: Anish De
FRC #0020 (The Rocketeers)

Rookie Year: 2008
anishde will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So if I started a new team, and just to happened to have named it the "Cheesy Poofs" or "Simbotics" or "Citrus Circuits" or "Robowranglers" that would be okay? If I started a business that made rockets that launch satellites, and decided to name it SpaceX that would be okay? If I started a big-box hardware and materials store and called it Home Depot that would be okay? In my mind, due diligence is a part of naming your team. In this day and age of the internet, TBA, and Google, it's easier than ever to do your due diligence when naming a team, to make sure the name is unique. It's beneficial to all teams to have unique names and brands to avoid confusion.
Not to drag this topic on longer than it has to go, but to accuse another team of copying a generic robotics-related name is definitely not GP. Not one of the 7+ teams who are currently called "Circuit Breakers" (or an alternate form) invented the concept, and they definitely don't have a patent registration over that name - just like our team can't claim to have invented dogs.

------------------------------------------------------------
2015-2018: Team 5123 (Mechadogs - Yonkers, NY)
2019-present: Team 20 (The Rocketeers - Clifton Park, NY)
------------------------------------------------------------
2018 New York Tech Valley Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2018 New York Tech Valley Regional Finalists
2017 New York Tech Valley Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2016 New York City Regional Dean's List Finalist Award
2016 New York City Regional Entrepreneurship Award
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 02:55 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukekaiser View Post
I believe Sanddrag is trying to say that before his very original team name there was no such thing as circuit breakers he should have trademarked it! Darn-it-all!
*plants tongue firmly in cheek*
Except he's wrong.

sanddrag, the NASA/JPL Southern California Circuit Breakers would like to talk. Since their first season in 1997, they have 25 Regional wins, 2 Division wins, and additionally 1 Championship Finalist and 4 Championship Wins.

This sounds impressive, except that particular team went through a couple of splits in the following years, resulting in three teams (and the founding lead mentor now mentors a fourth, with a higher number than 696). The number for the original team was 61, as I recall, but that was during the time that FIRST didn't see the benefit of fixed numbers for the teams and sorted by sponsor name instead, so someone else has that number now.

Exactly which three (four) teams I'm referring to... well, that's left as an exercise for the reader. One of them has a similarly-named team AND a similarly-named offseason event, just as a hint.

(And I will admit that as a young team member, or pre-team-member, I may have thought that 696 was swiping the name. )

*removes tongue from cheek*

Nice view of the field, even if the view type listed was wrong.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 05:34 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
Not to go too off topic, but there is a LOT of name overlap in FRC teams, it's not like new teams are expected to search through all the thousands of team names out there and come up with something original.
I remember going to the Buckeye regional years ago and there were three Robocats teams present.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2018, 06:09 AM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbale2000 View Post
Not to go too off topic, but there is a LOT of name overlap in FRC teams, it's not like new teams are expected to search through all the thousands of team names out there and come up with something original.
I was shocked to find out that there's no other Team ASAP out in FRC. Basically every other well known acronym has been used, and it took until 2013 to choose the one most applicable to FRC? (More or less, depending on interpretation)
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2018, 08:42 PM
Pacific NorthBest Enthusiast
AKA: Luke Brandes
FRC #4131 (Iron Patriots)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
LukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLast View Post
Heck, it hasnt stopped a team from naming themselves the "Circuit Breakers" this year.
Excuse you, they're the "Centralia Circuit Breakers #6959." Clearly a world of difference there
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 02:15 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Sounds like in the spirit of gracious professionalism and being
Consistent with one's own statements 696 is obligated to rebrand as not the Circuit Breakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
*plants tongue firmly in cheek*
Except he's [i]wrong[/I

sanddrag, the NASA/JPL Southern California Circuit Breakers would like to talk. Since their first season in 1997, they have 25 Regional wins, 2 Division wins, and additionally 1 Championship Finalist and 4 Championship Wins.

This sounds impressive, except that particular team went through a couple of splits in the following years, resulting in three teams (and the founding lead mentor now mentors a fourth, with a higher number than 696). The number for the original team was 61, as I recall, but that was during the time that FIRST didn't see the benefit of fixed numbers for the teams and sorted by sponsor name instead, so someone else has that number now.

Exactly which three (four) teams I'm referring to... well, that's left as an exercise for the reader. One of them has a similarly-named team AND a similarly-named offseason event, just as a hint.

(And I will admit that as a young team member, or pre-team-member, I may have thought that 696 was swiping the name. )

*removes tongue from cheek*

Nice view of the field, even if the view type listed was wrong.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2018, 04:24 PM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also, is your team aware that another team (696) had the name and brand "Circuit Breakers" a full decade before your team ever came into existence?
If only there were other examples of this. Oh wait there are. A crap ton in fact...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: