Originally Posted by Cyberphil
We noticed a few significant issues when building our field. Very much a shame that these modifications were made so late.
Edit: I think FIRST needs to hire a carpenter, or maybe outsource one for a few months to develop the team drawings. There were a bunch of really strange features that didn't make a lot of sense, and the assemblies were absolutely asinine. A cut layout would be really great so low-resource teams could get the most bang for their buck too, but baby steps.
Yep... took me a day to translate the supplied drawings into a useful format. It saved three sheeets of plywood relative to the recommended amounts. I have put it into my calendar to contact FIRST about this next November to offer assistance. Their engineers are likely great engineers, but they are lousy cabinet makers.
I did ask FIRST to share my layout drawings, but understandably (and now rather ironically) they could not because they could not confirm their accuracy. I shared the drawings here on CD. HQ really tries to get this right, but plywood layout and cutting diagrams arenít taught at many engineering schools, I donít think.