OCCRA
Go to Post Once you get to college, remember that FRC is not your life anymore (or at least it doesn't have to be). Don't be afraid to try new things, and branch away from the things you swear by in high school - buildmaster5000 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Just Itinerant
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Registration 2018

This is a data thread that pops up once a year (10th anniversary) that is focused on the progress of FRC team registration.

Rookie team numbers have started being assigned beginning with 6800. (yea, even before event registration begins)

For pre-event selection they apparently have to have two team leaders completely registered and the initial team fee paid to get assigned their official team number.
Before that rookies get a number like 201800066 or some such and there are a bunch of those.
Once a rookie gets registered (accepted) into an event and listed, they will also get assigned an official number (before having to complete payment).
(I have rookie team 6806, Mineola Wild Reds, in my own LI backyard.)

With the introduction of this year's new Event Preference Selection process it will look a little different starting at the end of the month with a suddenly populated set of events and appearance of teams. I think we will still get the straggling team registration all the way through December that we usually see-late organizing return veterans and new rookies.

Here are the FIRST official links to event data:
2018 Season Event List (158 total)
FRC Events

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 09-20-2017 at 09:47 AM. Reason: reasoning confirmed by anonymous reliable sources
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2017, 10:31 PM
AKA: Tim Flynn
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe), #1228 (RoboTribe)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
tjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Registration 2018

I ran some stats on all of the currently registered pre-permanent teams and there are quite a few internationally. Linked is a pastebin with temporary numbers and country of origin. Some curious inclusions include (in no particular order):
  • Greece
  • Japan
  • Brazil
  • Turkey
  • Vietnam
  • Russia
  • Lybia
  • Netherlands
  • Bangladesh
  • Dominican Republic
  • Chinese Taipei
  • Taiwan
  • Romania (AutoVortex from FTC)

As of posting this, 6818 is the highest assigned team number permanently.

https://pastebin.com/raw/QywZD1qZ

1257 (2016) - Student
1257 (2017-Present) - Overactive Alumn | 1228 (2017-Present) - I do stuff
KD2KRT
My ideas and comments are my own, bla bla bla. If I say anything blatantly wrong, please do me the favor of correcting me. Learning is one thing I'd rather like to keep doing.

Last edited by tjf : 09-19-2017 at 10:36 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2017, 10:42 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf View Post
I ran some stats on all of the currently registered pre-permanent teams and there are quite a few internationally. Linked is a pastebin with temporary numbers and country of origin. Some curious inclusions include:
  • Greece
  • Japan
  • Brazil
  • Turkey
  • Vietnam
  • Russia
  • Lybia
  • Netherlands
  • Bangladesh
  • Dominican Republic
  • Chinese Taipei
  • Taiwan
Some to remove:
--Turkey (Istanbul Regional) shouldn't be considered curious--they'll be pushing hard to get more rookie teams to fill out the regional. I wouldn't be surprised if they had the highest number of rookies in just about anywhere, and less surprised if they had the highest percentage.
--Greece is right next to Turkey. So is Russia. If the teams from those countries are anywhere near the Turkish border, they're also beneficiaries of/heavily recruited by the Istanbul Regional.
--Likewise, China added a second regional. This would tend to draw more teams from that area. (Chinese Taipei, Taiwan)
--Brazil has had teams for YEARS. Even had a regional about 10 years ago, for a season, but couldn't keep it going. I might suspect they're trying to reboot, particularly with the Aussies being relatively close.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2017, 10:56 PM

tjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
[/list]Some to remove:
--Turkey (Istanbul Regional) shouldn't be considered curious--they'll be pushing hard to get more rookie teams to fill out the regional. I wouldn't be surprised if they had the highest number of rookies in just about anywhere, and less surprised if they had the highest percentage.
--Greece is right next to Turkey. So is Russia. If the teams from those countries are anywhere near the Turkish border, they're also beneficiaries of/heavily recruited by the Istanbul Regional.
--Likewise, China added a second regional. This would tend to draw more teams from that area. (Chinese Taipei, Taiwan)
--Brazil has had teams for YEARS. Even had a regional about 10 years ago, for a season, but couldn't keep it going. I might suspect they're trying to reboot, particularly with the Aussies being relatively close.
Brazil - I know there were teams, and a regional in Brazil a number of years back. I say curious as I'm glad there's a seeming resurgence.
Chinese Taipei & Taiwan - Mostly a logistical oddity considering (as far as my admittedly limited understanding of geopolitics is) they're the same country.
Countries surrounding the Istanbul regional - You got me here, it logically makes sense, but makes me happy to see more teams in a new regional.

Personally this is the first time I've been fortunate enough to "watch them roll in" so this is new to me, but I'm glad to see international expansion (at least from my limited point of view.)

1257 (2016) - Student
KD2KRT
My ideas and comments are my own, bla bla bla. If I say anything blatantly wrong, please do me the favor of correcting me. Learning is one thing I'd rather like to keep doing.

Last edited by tjf : 09-19-2017 at 11:00 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2017, 11:27 PM
AKA: Nic
FRC #3216 (Missoula Robotics Team)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2009
NicusTM is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf View Post
I ran some stats on all of the currently registered pre-permanent teams and there are quite a few internationally. Linked is a pastebin with temporary numbers and country of origin. Some curious inclusions include (in no particular order):
  • Greece
  • Japan
  • Brazil
  • Turkey
  • Vietnam
  • Russia
  • Lybia
  • Netherlands
  • Bangladesh
  • Dominican Republic
  • Chinese Taipei
  • Taiwan
Two other very interesting ones I noticed you'd omitted were Ethiopia and Paraguay.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Keeping Score
AKA: Doug Frisk
FRC #2512

Rookie Year: 2011
Doug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Frisk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicusTM View Post
Two other very interesting ones I noticed you'd omitted were Ethiopia and Paraguay.
Is Sweden that uninteresting?
2015 MNDU2, ILPE, MNMI2, Champs, MN Championship, Gitchie Gummie, MRI, Mini Minnie
2014 MNDU2, ILCH, MNMI2, Champs, MN Championship, Gitchie Gummie, Mini Minnie
2013 MNDU, CMP, Mini Minnie
2012 MNDU
Scorekeeper, Practice Field, UL Safety Advisor, Queuing, Field Supervisor
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2017, 12:06 PM
A Better Idiot
AKA: Wil "just give me crabcake" Payne
FRC #0422 (The Tex-Mex Drajones)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone please get this link to Manchester?

https://aws.amazon.com/what-is-aws/
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
Can someone please get this link to Manchester?

https://aws.amazon.com/what-is-aws/
Immediately followed by this URL?

https://aws.amazon.com/government-education/nonprofits/

In a serious note, there are now a handful more Chinese teams, a new US team, and another Romanian team.

1257 (2016) - Student
KD2KRT
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Just Itinerant

Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add in Frank's registration data from the FRC Blog...

As of September 24 @ 10 PM (3.5 days):
  • 2,226 teams had submitted event preferences (this is on par with last year's total of 2299 at the same 3.5 day point, although the circumstances are completely different)
  • 2671 (2226 + 20%) teams that have prepped by listed 2 leaders and getting them to complete the associated paperwork. They probably don't feel the rush to get it in until Thursday's deadline.
  • 46% (1024 teams - coincidence?) only want one particular event.

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 09-25-2017 at 07:47 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-26-2017, 07:58 AM
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McLeod View Post
[*]2671 (2226 + 20%) teams that have prepped by listed 2 leaders and getting them to complete the associated paperwork. They probably don't feel the rush to get it in until Thursday's deadline.
I think this should be 2782.5 teams (2226/0.8).

- Arizona North
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2017, 09:55 AM
Just Itinerant

Just copying this FRC Blog post data over, since Frank is our data source until the first event assignments get made:

As of September 27, 10:00 PM:

2,952 teams had submitted preferences. (726 added event preferences in the past 3 days)
This was about 93% of teams who were ‘Event Ready.’
We still had 231 teams who were ‘Event Ready’ but had not yet submitted preferences. (total 3183-that's about 400 teams who got their two mentor/leaders paperwork completed in preparation the last 3 days.)
46% of teams preferenced a single event (1358)

I'm busy with an Hudson Valley Rally the next few days, so any updates if the actual team lists are released tomorrow will be delayed.
Please post if anyone comes up with interesting numbers (including any corrections to my math .

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 09-28-2017 at 10:10 AM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
46% of teams preferenced a single event (1358)
Do you think this included district teams? If so, this number seems ridiculously high. What percent of all teams are district teams?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Just Itinerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Do you think this included district teams? If so, this number seems ridiculously high. What percent of all teams are district teams?
I think it must include district teams. The total number of teams so far is too high to be Regional-only teams.
In 2017,
- 1441 district teams
- 1906 Regional teams

About 43% of teams belonged to districts last year.

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 09-28-2017 at 11:51 AM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #5803 (Apex Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Quote:
I think it must include district teams. The total number of teams so far is too high to be Regional-only teams.
In 2017,
- 1441 district teams
- 1906 Regional teams

Worth noting that PNW and Michigan are using the Home Event system, and any team that wishes to accept their home event selects ONLY their home event as a preference. So that may artificially skew the numbers of single-preference-listed teams.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In 2017,
- 1441 district teams
- 1906 Regional teams

If 57% of all teams are Regional teams, and 46% of all teams only asked for one event, that means 80% of Regional teams are one-event-only? That seems absurdly high.

Edit: Saw Evan's post. I guess there are a bunch of PNW/MI teams. Still seems like a bunch of one-and-dones.

DoubleEdit: Perhaps Regional teams are only putting one regional down, not wishing to play Russian Roulette, and plan to get their second during open enrollment.

Last edited by Taylor : 09-28-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: