OCCRA
Go to Post “FIRST is your experience and you cannot let anyone else hinder what you can achieve.” - fuzzwaz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 07:28 AM
FRC #5556 (Carriagetown Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
StephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of light
Torque needed

I have a project for engineering where I need to lift a chain by using a 2 volt motor to lift it. It does not matter how fast it lifts the chain all I need is to be able to lift it and if I can then and only then may the speed matter. If I get a full lift and someone else does then whoever was faster gets more points.

Any ideas on how to increase torque without changing the motor at all. I do know that if I increase the size of the lift gear it will increase the torque and the smaller the drive gear the more torque, any other ideas and what gear ratios should I use.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Registered Muser
FRC #4462 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
Cothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Torque needed

You'll need to figure out some more information before you can determine the best gear ratio for lifting the chain as quickly as possible. First, what is the weight of the load you'll be lifting? Second, what is the power output of the motor? Voltage is not a measurement of power, so you'll need to figure out how much power the motor can output. Once you get that info, you can start to figure out what's next.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 07:41 AM
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKohnle53 View Post
I have a project for engineering where I need to lift a chain by using a 2 volt motor to lift it. It does not matter how fast it lifts the chain all I need is to be able to lift it and if I can then and only then may the speed matter. If I get a full lift and someone else does then whoever was faster gets more points.

Any ideas on how to increase torque without changing the motor at all. I do know that if I increase the size of the lift gear it will increase the torque and the smaller the drive gear the more torque, any other ideas and what gear ratios should I use.
Do you have to use a specific 2 volt motor or just a 2 volt motor? Do you have the spec sheet for the motor?

What is the weight of the chain?

Edit: Here are two resources you can use to learn more about motors and gearing.

2007 FIRST Conference on Robot Drive System Fundamentals

Ken Stafford (Team 190 mentor and professor at WPI) talking about motors

- Arizona North

Last edited by ATannahill : 10-11-2017 at 07:48 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 07:51 AM
AKA: Paras Singh
FRC #4787 (Axiom)

Rookie Year: 2015
pax589 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Usually if you want to increase torque without changing the motor, as you mentioned changing the drive gear ratio is a good idea. The larger the gear ratio, the higher the torque, however the speed decreases. If that still doesn't give you enough torque then you would need to use a gearbox. I can't comment about what the recommended ratio should be because you need to know the minimum torque and motor specs to get that information.

There are many websites that allow you to input information such as motor torque, rpm, and a gear ratio and it will give out the output torque and speed. We used them a lot during Steamworks when working on our climbing mechanism.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 07:52 AM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
no team (Looking For A New Team); formerly FRC #228 & 2170)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Given enough gear reduction, any motor can lift any load. It's just a matter of how fast.

To solve this problem for optimal speed, you will need the specifications of the motor (free speed, stall torque, free current, stall current). You will also need the size of the load.

You say you are lifting a chain. Is the chain on a sprocket? How much weight is on the chain (including the chain itself)? This linear force (weight) can be converted into a torque once we know the size of your sprocket (effective diameter - this can be approximated by measuring it, or you can get the exact diameter with the number of teeth and the pitch of the chain).

When designing your reduction, you probably want to opt to do so at about 50% of stall torque (or a little less) - this is the "max power" of a DC motor, and thus where you will get the most speed / torque at the same time. This is assuming your motor will not burn out due to heat buildup, which isn't necessarily a given, it depends on the motor.

This should help you get started.
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 07:56 AM
FRC #5556 (Carriagetown Robotics)

StephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of lightStephenKohnle53 is a glorious beacon of light

I do not know the output power of the motor, I will try to get that, my teacher does not have the chain yet so I will get it tomorrow to tell you the weight. Is there a way to measure the power output of a motor. (As you can guess I know very little about engineering). I think I have a voltmeter at home that can measure power as well so I will try that after school.

Also the focus is to lift the chain not necessarily quickly that is a secondary objective.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Breaking Out
AKA: Alastair
FRC #4613 (Barker Redbacks)

pilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond repute

Increasing voltage will increase torque and speed while allowing you to use the same motor. 2x the voltage= 4x the output power.

Little hobby motors will happily run overvolted for a while.

However overvolting should not be used as a replacement for adequate gear reduction.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 08:18 AM
AKA: Paras Singh
FRC #4787 (Axiom)

Rookie Year: 2015
pax589 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Is there a way to measure the power output of a motor. (As you can guess I know very little about engineering). I think I have a voltmeter at home that can measure power as well so I will try that after school.

Also the focus is to lift the chain not necessarily quickly that is a secondary objective.
If you know the model number for the motor (sometimes listed on the side) and go to a seller's website like Andymark or McMaster Carr usually they would have information on the motor such as the power and stall torque.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 08:53 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

If you can lookup or figure out the motor specs (i.e. free speed, stall torque, free current, stall current), you can use the Mechanism Ratio part of my spreadsheet to calculate the gear ratio needed. You can manually enter the motor specs*, enter the radius of the sprocket (when you get it) and the load it needs to lift. Then you can figure out the gear ratio needed to get max power (fastest speed), max efficiency, a certain linear speed, or a certain current draw.

*The spreadsheet assumes that the motor specs are at 12V, so if the specs are at 2V you should leave 12V in voltage applied.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 08:55 AM
foote stepped in
AKA: E. Foote
FRC #0868

Rookie Year: 2005
efoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So the motor is given to you, is the power supply given to you as well? Is this purely a mechanical gear ratio problem or do you get to adjust the inputs (voltage + current into the motor) as well as outputs (some type of mechanical advantage translating to lift of chain)?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 12:43 PM
CAD Designer/ Electrical Consaltant
AKA: Anthony Cardinali
FRC #0997 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Munchskull is a splendid one to beholdMunchskull is a splendid one to beholdMunchskull is a splendid one to beholdMunchskull is a splendid one to beholdMunchskull is a splendid one to beholdMunchskull is a splendid one to beholdMunchskull is a splendid one to beholdMunchskull is a splendid one to behold

Well if speed is a non-issue I would say that you could use this.
Class of 2017

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Electromechanicadchining Mentor
AKA: Craig Hickman
FRC #0114

Rookie Year: 2004
Mechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchskull View Post
Well if speed is a non-issue I would say that you could use this.
One could argue hat using this WOULD lift the chain at some point in existence. One would be technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

But, one would still not meet the goal of the assignment, which is (presumably) to lift the chain BEFORE the heat death of the universe.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 01:25 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

sound like a fun problem.

If we could get an idea of the size of the motor, we might be able to offer more useful suggestions.

I wonder if a very simple winch would work? ie. extend the motor shaft with a thin rod or tube, and tie a piece of string on to the chain and tape it to the shaft, rod, and wind er up.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 02:00 PM
FRC #6072 (Triton Tech Robotics)

johncooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Like others, you need to gain more information about the test configuration. The torque required is one piece of the problem and it may be that you will have to experiment to determine the torque.

Some other information you need to collect. What is the overall system configuration? This should include the power supply with voltage, how the motor is mounted, how you interface to the motor spindle (at a minimum the shaft diameter).

Do you have access to the test setup in advance?

What tools or equipment will the teacher supply? The motor? Gears or pulleys that interface to the motor? Chain or Belt to connect the gears or pulleys? The power supply? Method to control power delivered to the motor? A volt meter? A scale?

How much does the chain weigh, how is the chain lifted and how far do you lift the chain.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Electromechanicadchining Mentor
AKA: Craig Hickman
FRC #0114

Rookie Year: 2004
Mechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to beholdMechvet is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForbes View Post
sound like a fun problem.

If we could get an idea of the size of the motor, we might be able to offer more useful suggestions.

I wonder if a very simple winch would work? ie. extend the motor shaft with a thin rod or tube, and tie a piece of string on to the chain and tape it to the shaft, rod, and wind er up.
Take this a little further, and add a snatchblock pulley setup to increase torque.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: