OCCRA
Go to Post Nothing worth gaining was ever obtained without effort. - Jaine Perotti [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 12:56 PM
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Mike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute
Shipping Logistics Services Presented by the Heroes of Tomorrow

We understand that constructing or modifying a crate, arranging pickup, and worrying if your robot will arrive on time and in one piece can be very stressful for teams – especially if you just found out you’re going to North Champs and you need to worry about lodging, funds, etc. We hope to alleviate some of this stress by providing an easy crate solution and helping to find a local drayage and transportation solution for teams that are within driving distance to Detroit. This is completely hassle free and far more environmentally friendly than using FedEx and does not require a special vehicle if you do not have a loading dock.

The shipping requirements for FIRST are outlined here: https://www.firstinspires.org/resour...transportation

Quote:
Teams may ship their robot to any event at their own cost without receiving an approved Robot Transportation Exemption from FIRST, however, teams MAY NOT ship their crate directly to the venue. You must make other arrangements to get your robot to the event. See the section below: "Denied Robot Transportation Exemption Requests" for suggestions.
Here’s how it works:

You will need to acquire a “crate”. I recommend you acquire a plastic one approximately 2 mm thick and flexible enough to conform to the size of your robot. You probably have something like this in your shop, it’s likely very close to your robot at the moment.

Remember do NOT ship your robot to the venue. You need to find a local Drayage Location near the venue. We can help with this. We will find you a local drayage that is driving distance to the venue. We guarantee it will be no further than what you would consider driving distance to Detroit, unfortunately it will likely be no closer than your shop.

Instead of contacting a shipping carrier in your area and requesting a quote to ship your robot to the drayage, we will recommend local STEM enthusiasts who can help you hand carry it to the drayage for free – this is step one of the savings.

Now the hard part – getting it from the drayage to the venue. We will help you find a team that is driving from your drayage location to the Detroit event. This might be difficult to arrange, but we’re confident there’s at least one team who is also storing their tools and robot cart at your drayage location and they likely have room on their truck / trailer for your “crate”.

Return shipping – This is the easiest part. Don’t. Throw away your crate at the venue.

Kettering University ('09-'13) University of Michigan ('14-'18)
FLL ('01-'02), FRC Team 27 ('06-'09), Team 397 ('10), Team 3450/314 ('11), Team 67 ('14-'??)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shipping Logistics Services Presented by the Heroes of Tomorrow

Have you run this past FIRST? Something tells me this is not an intended way to get around shipping it using the FedEx donation that teams going to champs get...
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 01:05 PM
this is so sad,alexa play despacito
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

this really makes my thinker the big thinker

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 02:17 PM
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)

Mike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
Have you run this past FIRST? Something tells me this is not an intended way to get around shipping it using the FedEx donation that teams going to champs get...
The FedEx donation over complicates getting local robots to championship (although the fact that it is donated is appreciated). Utilizing a local drayage (your shop) and "paying" your own shipping is allowed in the shipping guidelines so why would I need to run it by FIRST?

FLL ('01-'02), FRC Team 27 ('06-'09), Team 397 ('10), Team 3450/314 ('11), Team 67 ('14-'??)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 02:32 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Given the section immediately above the one you quoted, I personally would want to check. I'd hate for something that's miss-worded on the site to impact you and potentially other teams.

Quote:
Robots competing at the FIRST Championship must be shipped as soon as you have secured your spot, completed payment and received your shipping documents, and no later than the deadline provided to your team with your shipping documents.
FIRST will not be responsible for any robots not shipped by teams per instructions. Failure to ship robots in a timely fashion could result in robots arriving late to the FIRST Championship with the potential to miss matches.
There have been local teams attending champs for a long time - teams from the St. Louis area, teams from the Houston area, etc. I don't recall any of them carrying in their robots... I personally wouldn't want to take the risk based on the assumption that I read a loop-hole in their website. What do you do if they stop you at the door and say "You were supposed to ship your robot. We can't let you just carry it in, you'll have to find those shipping docs we sent you and ship it. Yes, it'll arrive late, but that's not our responsibility."?
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 02:41 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...What do you do if they stop you at the door and say "You were supposed to ship your robot. We can't let you just carry it in, you'll have to find those shipping docs we sent you and ship it. Yes, it'll arrive late, but that's not our responsibility."?
Any volunteer or event manager etc who acts that way should not be working for FIRST. Teams should try their best to follow the rules but no one in their right mind is gonna make you ship the robot to the competition it's currently at.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 02:48 PM
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)

Quote:
Given the section immediately above the one you quoted, I personally would want to check. I'd hate for something that's miss-worded on the site to impact you and potentially other teams.

There have been local teams attending champs for a long time - teams from the St. Louis area, teams from the Houston area, etc. I don't recall any of them carrying in their robots... I personally wouldn't want to take the risk based on the assumption that I read a loop-hole in their website. What do you do if they stop you at the door and say "You were supposed to ship your robot. We can't let you just carry it in, you'll have to find those shipping docs we sent you and ship it. Yes, it'll arrive late, but that's not our responsibility."?
Who is "they"?

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 03:00 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
Any volunteer or event manager etc who acts that way should not be working for FIRST. Teams should try their best to follow the rules but no one in their right mind is gonna make you ship the robot to the competition it's currently at.
And what we have here is a team that is, quite possibly, disregarding said rules. Savvy? If a team (deliberately)doesn't follow the rules and gets penalized, it is 100% the team's fault. Whether the penalty fits the crime is another discussion. I would consider making a non-compliant team compliant as a "crime-fitting" penalty, however it that also makes that team non-playing then it's a bit of an issue.

What would probably happen would be a big discussion with Frank and other HQ folks. I would suspect that the teams would be allowed to compete but under a significant time penalty for entry (see also: big discussion with Frank takes up lots of time).

Also: Remember that there are specifications for "crates". A robot bag doesn't exactly meet those specifications for some reason, starting with the skids required underneath.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 03:05 PM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So what part of the provided text are they actually missing with this strategy?

What is to be gained from local teams shipping to the event? Or is this just part of the challenge?

This sounds like a pretty HOT topic to me.

Last edited by notmattlythgoe : 04-16-2018 at 03:21 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 03:26 PM
Just a College Kid
AKA: Jacob Dara
FRC #7226 (Error 404)

darajaco is a jewel in the roughdarajaco is a jewel in the roughdarajaco is a jewel in the roughdarajaco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Yes but there has never been this large of a group of local teams. For most Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and even some NE teams it's more convenient for them to handle their own robot transport than have to spend time and money on a crate.

I get the reasoning behind "we've always done it this way". But its a huge waste of resources for what id estimate to be about 100 teams that would rather load in their robot themselves.

---------------------------------------------
2013-2017 2960 Automation Nation (Student)
2018-???? 7226 Error 404 (Mentor)
2015 Champs Tesla Division Semi-Finalist...2017 MSC Dow Division Finalist
2017 Southfield Event Winner......................2017 North Champs Daly Division Semi-Finalist
2017 St. Joseph Indiana Event Winner........2018 Shepherd Event Winner
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Why would FedEx as a corporation in capitalist America not commend HOT on such a cost saving strategy?

Local teams shipping things via sounds....dumb at best. Isn't that the whole point of the bag?

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

It might be because -

There are union rules and agreements that said the facility would handle moving robots and robot crates.

FIRST does not want teams carrying in their robots - it is quicker and safer if they are in their pit, in a crate, when teams arrive with their tools and carts.
2018 IndyRAGE Planning Committee
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 03:39 PM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz View Post
FIRST does not want teams carrying in their robots - it is quicker and safer if they are in their pit, in a crate, when teams arrive with their tools and carts.
It sounded to me like subcontracted shipping agents of the Heroes of Tomorrow logistics service would be the ones carrying in the robots.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 03:40 PM
Just a College Kid
AKA: Jacob Dara
FRC #7226 (Error 404)

darajaco is a jewel in the roughdarajaco is a jewel in the roughdarajaco is a jewel in the roughdarajaco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz View Post
It might be because -

There are union rules and agreements that said the facility would handle moving robots and robot crates.

Personally i think loading in a robot is a lot safer than our 400 pound toolbox...

2013-2017 2960 Automation Nation (Student)
2018-???? 7226 Error 404 (Mentor)
2015 Champs Tesla Division Semi-Finalist...2017 MSC Dow Division Finalist
2017 Southfield Event Winner......................2017 North Champs Daly Division Semi-Finalist
2017 St. Joseph Indiana Event Winner........2018 Shepherd Event Winner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: