OCCRA
Go to Post Hey Don, if the [Woody Flowers] award doesn't impress the non-FIRST friends and family, just tell them you have your own "inter-web thread" - tell them you are like a Chuck Norris on the internet!!! - ebarker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 08:22 PM
AKA: Sam Baumgarten
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
baumgartensam will become famous soon enoughbaumgartensam will become famous soon enough
Re: Probably the coolest robotics competition I've ever seen

This video from their website was super informative as to what their goals are and what the game is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECr4zgK6cPA.

It seems to be fairly complicated with a bit of everything.

I also thought it was interesting that they are using ROS (see 3:20).
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 08:29 PM
6th Gear Developer; Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
no team (6th Gear)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

• 200 Universities competing.
  • Small Robots
  • Large field with plenty of terrain
  • Each team fields four different robots, including one quadcopter, and one full-auton
  • Matches are 1 team vs 1 team
  • The robots shoot at each other and targets
  • Sexy video feeds for drivers and the audience

Watching the highlights/explanation video on the DJI website was fun. I certainly give it a thumbs-up.

Maybe there are more than N ways to skin a cat.
Words/phrases I avoid: basis, mitigate, leveraging, transitioning, impact (instead of affect/effect), facilitate, programmatic, problematic, issue (instead of problem), latency (instead of delay), dependency (instead of prerequisite), connectivity, usage & utilize (instead of use), downed, functionality, functional, power on, descore, alumni (instead of alumnus/alumna), the enterprise, methodology, nomenclature, form factor (instead of size or shape), competency, modality, provided(with), provision(ing), irregardless/irrespective, signage, colorized, pulsating, ideate

Last edited by gblake : 08-02-2017 at 08:31 PM.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 08:44 PM
that Georgia girl
FRC #4468 (Fernbank LINKS)

Rookie Year: 2012
kristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumgartensam View Post
I also thought it was interesting that they are using ROS (see 3:20).
Doing some digging through the rules, there are actually very few limitations as to what you can use to build and program the robots. Something interesting about the competition is that they seem to try and simulate many "real world" robotics norms, such as requiring the base robot to be fully autonomous, limiting the drivers' vision to only the camera feeds from the robot, and (what it looks like from the video) suggesting that teams use ROS to program their robots.

FRC Survival Guide
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 09:03 PM
in hibernation
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs), FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
I have a feeling that the RoboMaster competitors do not hold to the "Its more than a robot" mantra.
I wouldn't be so sure. FIRST may have a trademark on "gracious professionalism", but we don't have a monopoly on it.

Whether in VEX, IEEE competitions, the DARPA Robotics Challenge, or BattleBots, at every competition I've been to I've watched firsthand as competitors help each other out in the pits, exhibit sportsmanship and respect for opponents on and off the field, and create a general sense of camaraderie and inclusiveness. (Sure, there have also been exceptions at times - including some egregious examples in FRC - but that's by far the minority).

Just because a competition doesn't give out a trophy for things totally unrelated to robotics doesn't mean that the competition is "all about the robot".
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 09:12 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Russell View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. FIRST may have a trademark on "gracious professionalism", but we don't have a monopoly on it.
[...]

Just because a competition doesn't give out a trophy for things totally unrelated to robotics doesn't mean that the competition is "all about the robot".
Yeah, what he said!

At most college competitions (robots or not), while there may be some smack talk, when a team is in trouble other teams will help out. Parts, supplies, "hey where's our pilot", you name it somebody probably has something that will work, somewhere. Just start asking.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 12:17 AM
no team

FRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these parts

Gotta give it to them, they definitely got the presentation nailed down in an easy to watch, non-cringy manner.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 12:18 AM
TSIMFD
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Interesting to see how much praise the production value of this event is getting, despite having camera views that only show small portions of the field at a time (something that FRC gets eviscerated for).
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 12:25 AM
no team

FRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
Interesting to see how much praise the production value of this event is getting, despite having camera views that only show small portions of the field at a time (something that FRC gets eviscerated for).
IMO, it's not the camera angles I'm impressed with, it's like Citrus Dad said, they follow a model that is very similar to many Esports platforms; which is very popular right now.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 12:30 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm sure if I was a competitor who was scouting matches or trying to see a specific robot, I would hate the lack of a full field view. But a a random spectator who just wanted to see what this was all about, the zoomed in shots and on board cameras showed me more than enough.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 12:35 AM
GA w/ a voice made for silent films
AKA: Entitled volunteer - do not hire
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics) #299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You bring up a good point. I'm slightly more okay with it because of the smaller robot size : field size ratio. In FRC the ratio is such that a full-field view still allows you to see the necessary information to understand what is going on in the match while providing the advantage of showing everything there is to see. I feel like Robomaster's changing cameras aren't ideal, but given the size of the robots with respect to the field I'd guess that a full-field camera view would be too zoomed out to clearly see some of the necessary information.

I believe a good compromise that would better enhance the Robomasters viewing experience would be using a similar camera setup that was mandated at most events this year in FRC. Show a full-field view on the bottom with three moving closeups or robot-view shots on top where the airship views + center info block was in the FRC overlay.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 08:21 AM
FRC #0999 (MechaRAMS)

Rookie Year: 2004
Eric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant futureEric Scheuing has a brilliant future

Quote:
That's a good point. They might benefit from a minimap or something that shows a basic overview of where each robot is at a given time, and where the camera is pointing/shooting from. Of course, that would probably require some kind of true-positioning system on the field... actually, maybe we should consider that for FIRST?

2005-2007: Bobcat Robotics 177
2015-2017: MechaRAMS 999
2017-???: Elm City Robo Squad 558
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 09:52 AM
FRC #0744 (744 Shark Attack)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
AlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Scheuing View Post
That's a good point. They might benefit from a minimap or something that shows a basic overview of where each robot is at a given time, and where the camera is pointing/shooting from. Of course, that would probably require some kind of true-positioning system on the field... actually, maybe we should consider that for FIRST?
I actually saw this on the webcast when I was watching. It helped a lot to get a feel for the flow of the match.

But I agree that I would probably hate the up close views if I were really invested and trying to see the whole strategy and specific robots.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Yeah I'm pretty hooked on this competition. It definitely feels fairly polished and following that esports model puts some meat into the competitive aspect of the entire thing.

I'm really impressed with some of the bots, but more impressed with how developed some of the strategy is. I've seen teams win matches in so many different ways, or get destroyed in the 1st match only to come back with a completely different strategy to destroy the other team in the 2nd (sound familiar?)

Color me a fan.

-Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
2015 South Florida Regional Chairman's Award, NU District Winners, NEDCMP Industrial Design Award, Hopper Division Finalists, Hopper/Newton Gracious Professionalism Award
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 11:11 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Scheuing View Post
In the one minute that I watch the webcast, I heard that the drivers actually do get a mini-map, but only with their team's robots on it. Not sure how they managed to get absolute positioning, but apparently they did it.
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 11:18 AM
User
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari423 View Post
In the one minute that I watch the webcast, I heard that the drivers actually do get a mini-map, but only with their team's robots on it. Not sure how they managed to get absolute positioning, but apparently they did it.
Overhead cameras, RFID, BTLE, Wifi...

There's a lot of options.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: