OCCRA
Go to Post Real projects have good and bad aspects, problems that must be dealt with, and lots of things that dont make any sense from your side of the fence. - KenWittlief [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute
Team Update #14

Update #14 has been posted. No rules have been amended.

http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles...pdate%2014.pdf
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Teacher Mentor
AKA: Bill Pease
FRC #2836 (Team Beta)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1996
AcesPease has much to be proud ofAcesPease has much to be proud ofAcesPease has much to be proud ofAcesPease has much to be proud ofAcesPease has much to be proud ofAcesPease has much to be proud ofAcesPease has much to be proud ofAcesPease has much to be proud ofAcesPease has much to be proud of
Re: Team Update #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgannon View Post
Update #14 has been posted. No rules have been amended.

http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles...pdate%2014.pdf
I would take that as meaning that rule G22 will be enforced as written, along with the other game rules.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Got my degree and ready for more!
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)
Team Role: Mentor

Dan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond reputeDan Petrovic has a reputation beyond repute

I love how they describe the end of hybrid.

When the clock hits zero, you can step forward. fantastic.
Who knew silence could be so loud?

Mayhem in Merrimack hosts since 2005 - Week Zero hosts in partnership with FIRST HQ: 2014-2016
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoX14 View Post
I love how they describe the end of hybrid.

When the clock hits zero, you can step forward. fantastic.

That has actually always been the rule (and was in past years, too). It just has never been explicitly stated that well, and there is always some confusion and inconsistency from event to event. I'm glad that they made it plain and clear in this update.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 04:49 PM
FIRST Senior Mentor - Washington
AKA: Bob Steele
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Bob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond repute

It is nice to see that the GDC has seen fit to explain the deletion of section 9.4.2.

We could have really used our pit crew during eliminations but our referee crew chose to read this rule elimination as 'NO PIT CREWS DURING ELIMINATION ROUNDS" rather than the way GDC has intended it.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:06 PM
AKA: Joey
FRC #1714 (MORE Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Laaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond repute

I am honestly confused about this update. Why didnt they talk about blocking/impeding in hybrid mode. I really dont know why they didnt clarify this.
Joey
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Steele View Post
It is nice to see that the GDC has seen fit to explain the deletion of section 9.4.2.

We could have really used our pit crew during eliminations but our referee crew chose to read this rule elimination as 'NO PIT CREWS DURING ELIMINATION ROUNDS" rather than the way GDC has intended it.
For the NJ Regional we didn't allow the entire pit crew but we did allow one member per team to stay and help out with things b/c there was no set Queuing area for teams, Basically all the teams were constantly moving and there was def. a lack of space to just have alliance Queue spots. People who help setup each regional will determine what the safest amount of people allowed besides the drive team during elminiation matches. In one of the pictures (possibly Elgins I think) you'll notice a curtained off area in the NJ Regional that was only for the alliances. As you can see that space was not a whole lot of room for 6 alliances while 2 alliances were on the field. It only looks empty b/c I think we were down to the Semi Finals. In any case persons allowed w/ the alliance teams will I guess be decided on a event to event basis. We played it safely. To not allow ANY additional members was wrong.
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'15 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'15 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'15
2015 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2015 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg. & Championships
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
FIRST Senior Mentor - Washington
AKA: Bob Steele
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Bob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond reputeBob Steele has a reputation beyond repute

We had plenty of room in Oregon and the addition of one additional Pit Crew member would have been very helpful if even just to handle the batteries.
Our pit crew is a vital part of our team (as is probably true for most teams...) and to exclude their presence was tough on them after last year.

I can appreciate small venues and the limitations therein... I just think that in our case the referees/staff resorted to the rule book without looking at intent and this new update will make it easier for them to understand intent.

It is a good thing... and I appreciate that FIRST has recognized it and given us this update.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
no team (FRC Volunteer)

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Steele View Post
We had plenty of room in Oregon and the addition of one additional Pit Crew member would have been very helpful if even just to handle the batteries.
Our pit crew is a vital part of our team (as is probably true for most teams...) and to exclude their presence was tough on them after last year.

I can appreciate small venues and the limitations therein... I just think that in our case the referees/staff resorted to the rule book without looking at intent and this new update will make it easier for them to understand intent.

It is a good thing... and I appreciate that FIRST has recognized it and given us this update.
As Lead Queuer of NJ I went and asked a few people on how many people to allow with each team. I think I asked the FTA and someone else (maybe even 2 someones) referees were not part of who I asked though. Field Staff and Queuing were the only ones involved in my case and decision. Hopefully Week #2 and following regionals will be run much better and teams will have their pit crews with them or at least a runner for each team. I would expect week #1 to have some bugs in it. Lets pray there aren't anymore bugs that have to be worked out.
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'15 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'15 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'15
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

In St. Louis we allowed two extra team members to accompany each robot during eliminations. I (as the FTA) advised the Lead Queuer and the Field Supervisor of this site-specific policy. It was based on floor space available, placement of judges, media, fixed barriers, etc. The policy needs to be site-specific for those reasons.

I agree with FIRST's decision to delete 9.4.2 and let the policy fit each site.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM
no team (FRC Volunteer)

Yea see I wasn't sure who I talked to, I know I asked the FTA and we (the FTA, myself (Lead Queuer) and the Field Supv. all talked about it and agreed on one person only b/c of space and current layout constraints)

I agree that each site should make the right decision on their own instead of having a set amount.
Volunteer Resume:
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laaba 80 View Post
I am honestly confused about this update. Why didnt they talk about blocking/impeding in hybrid mode. I really dont know why they didnt clarify this.
Joey
I didn't see anything that needs to be clarified. The people who think the GDC's answer has discrepancies with the manual seem to be misreading the phrase "blocking the track" as if it meant "getting in the way of a single robot". Reading it as written should clear up any confusion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: