OCCRA
Go to Post Well, there goes my strategy of blowing out the opponent and then committing flagrant safety and sportsmanship violations to keep the margin close :D - Jared Russell [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 09:25 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Polycarbonate vs. Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperkowsky View Post
You can also cut polycarbonate with a xacto knife. The point is not just that it's possible to cut the material. The point is the ease of doing it.
I can see the point that you are making. My experience has been that aluminum is also very easy to cut, especially when using any sort of power tool with the appropriate blade.

If you're using a router, aluminum should be chipped at about the same rate as PC because aluminum can be machined at around 2x the SFM at about 1/2x the chipload per tooth.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 09:52 AM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knufire View Post
See the original intake from the 111 2012 robot or the 1678 2014 robot for examples of polycarbonate intakes.

The idea here is that you want a material that is tough, not strong. While strength is a measure of the amount of stress a material can take before failure, toughness is a measure of how much energy the material can absorb before failure, and is a mixture of the strength and ductility of the material. You want the polycarbonate intake to deflect when it is hit instead of breaking, but this naturally means that your intake won't be stiff. On the other hand, you can have a very stiff aluminum intake that will always be in the same spot relative to your robot frame, but you will then have to build it to be strong/tough enough to withstand impact.
+1

Definitely take a look at their After the Game video on their 2012 intake. Stacking up lexan plates will give you strength and flexibility and are incredibly easy to make replacements of if you break them and you can stack up more plates to add strength and rigidity.

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ty Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond repute

I think the important thing to realize here is that both materials will work and the best material for you depends on availability and your ability to work with the material.

Try not to fall into the trap of choosing a material because it had the most supportive comments on CD.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 10:09 AM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
To play devils advocate: I can replace every instance of PC in your post with aluminum and everything would still be true. I say this owning my own CNC router that I routinely cut aluminum with and having cut plenty of aluminum with a jig saw.
You can definitely get away with a much crappier CNC router when cutting polycarb. Not every CNC router is good with aluminum, but I've yet to find one that isn't good with polycarb.

It's certainly a material that is for the most part easier to work with.

---

I like polycarb intakes. I like them to be a bit stiffer than 1678's 2014 intake (that violent shaking back and forth gives me the heebie jeebies even though it was fine), so I like to use either Vex's 2x1 polycarbonate tubing or McMaster's 1x1 tubing for some structure. It certainly can be strong enough to do the job - a rough rule of thumb is to double the thickness of the equivalent aluminum part.

Aluminum can work too, it just likes to stay bent and doesn't absorb impact energy in the same way.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 11:47 AM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I like polycarb intakes. I like them to be a bit stiffer than 1678's 2014 intake (that violent shaking back and forth gives me the heebie jeebies even though it was fine)
A lot of people were unnerved by the swaying from them. If asked about it I would grab one and bend it over 45 degrees and let go to demonstrate my confidence in them.

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 12:34 PM
FRC #3357 (COMETS)
Team Role: Marketing

Rookie Year: 2014
Sabrina3357 is an unknown quantity at this point

My team (3357) switched out our aluminum shooter deck/intake aluminum for polycarb in the middle of the season because we had a small crack in it. We also did it because we wanted to decrease weight. It worked well and was able to bend without cracking.
Here's a video of us with it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o-mdnlaoFbs
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboChair View Post
A lot of people were unnerved by the swaying from them. If asked about it I would grab one and bend it over 45 degrees and let go to demonstrate my confidence in them.
Floppy Intakes unite?

I don't understand why teams don't take advantage of material properties like that more often.

#23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 01:16 PM
Breathe in... Breathe out...
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Rookie Year: 2002
Michael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
How did those VP mounts hold up?
We didn't have issues with it, besides being difficult to assemble.

The key was 2 bearings in the VP mount tube (one on each side of the tube), and then a third bearing on the other polycarb arm. This meant that, even as the arms twisted, the C-C for the chain was held constant. But since the polycarb arm is flexy, the intake shaft isn't over-constrained, even with three bearings (as it would be if all three bearings were held constant relative to each other).

Hope this makes sense.

Best,

-Mike
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 01:29 PM
Hardcore Dork

JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

To play devil's advocate: consider for this year is the potential violations of R03 with a highly compliant mechanism. An intake that can bend over 45 sideways is great for avoiding damage, but may not meet R03 to an inspector's satisfaction.

Quote:
The ROBOT must remain constrained to the maximum inspected volume at all times during the MATCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Tremblay View Post
I think the important thing to realize here is that both materials will work and the best material for you depends on availability and your ability to work with the material.

Try not to fall into the trap of choosing a material because it had the most supportive comments on CD.
Exactly, you found the words I couldn't.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 01:46 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corsetto View Post
The key was 2 bearings in the VP mount tube (one on each side of the tube), and then a third bearing on the other polycarb arm. This meant that, even as the arms twisted, the C-C for the chain was held constant. But since the polycarb arm is flexy, the intake shaft isn't over-constrained, even with three bearings (as it would be if all three bearings were held constant relative to each other).
Just to go on a tangent here, but any time you have a long shaft like this (>2 feet between supports), you can sometimes get away with more than two bearings per shaft since the span is so long. It's not something that can be only done with polycarbonate or anything like that, especially if 2 of your 3 bearings are in pockets milled into the same tube. Just another fun fact to add to the conversation here.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 01:56 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Just to go on a tangent here, but any time you have a long shaft like this (>2 feet between supports), you can sometimes get away with more than two bearings per shaft since the span is so long. It's not something that can be only done with polycarbonate or anything like that, especially if 2 of your 3 bearings are in pockets milled into the same tube. Just another fun fact to add to the conversation here.
Confirmed. Here are 4x bearings on the same shaft!

#27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 01:56 PM

Michael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Corsetto has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Very true, key word being "sometimes"
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 02:01 PM
Registered Muser
no team (AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2013
Cothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond repute

This is a pretty significant tangent, but it's not worth making a new thread over. What actually happens when you overconstrain a shaft? Does it automatically bind? Is it somewhat more prone to binding? Is the resistance (load) substantially increased? I know not to do it, but I don't know that actual effects of doing it.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothron Theiss View Post
This is a pretty significant tangent, but it's not worth making a new thread over. What actually happens when you overconstrain a shaft? Does it automatically bind? Is it somewhat more prone to binding? Is the resistance (load) substantially increased? I know not to do it, but I don't know that actual effects of doing it.
If you have a significant gap between bearings and good manufacturing/assembly tolerances (as in James' example above), you won't see much negative impact to performance.

Some potential effects:

1) You won't be able to install the shaft. This is an easy problem to spot. You have three bearings, try to slide the shaft in, and no dice.

2) You figure out a way to install the shaft, with a axially mis-aligned set of three bearings (maybe you constrained the bearings to a rigid member AFTER installing the shaft). In this scenario:

2a) The shaft rotates, but with additional load due to the shaft constantly bending/additional radial load on bearing. This inefficiency can sometimes be hard to spot right away, but can suck power from your system

2b) The whole thing seizes up and won't move. I've seen this happen, especially when the torque applied to the shaft is fairly weak (obviously, since the system is more susceptible to inefficiencies).

Like Chris said, do it right, and you won't have issues. But people don't always do it right, so it is important to understand where things can go wrong.

Best,

-Mike
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2017, 03:04 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
I have only heard of teams having success with hot-bending PC, but I would be very interested to see good cold-forming results.
We commonly bend polycarb on a break to 90 degrees and have never had a failure. Not that it *can't*, of course--but thus far it hasn't.

As to the OP, we generally treat 1/8" and 1/16" polycarbonate as if it's indestructible in terms of impact damage, and it has yet to let us down.

I've been tempted to prototype a "sheet metal robot" made from poly instead of aluminum and take it to an off-season competition, just to see how well it would stand up to full gameplay. ...maybe some day.
The Bausch Foundation and Naples High School

I write books, too!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: