OCCRA
Go to Post I have always been of the opinion that if the mechanicals are making noise they are trying to talk to you. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #166   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 05:45 PM
MIssin' the MItten
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #4640 (Metallic Panthers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Ekcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2013 Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri View Post
Except that most of the teams now cannot make it interesting or fun to watch. (Remember, there are 2,343 teams in FRC this year...how many autonomous modes make you go "wow"?)

Most teams struggle with the basics now--just look at the Hybrid OPRs. FRC is primarily teleop because autonomous--especially fully autonomous--programming at this level just doesn't look as interesting or work as well. FLL isn't an interactive head-to-head sport; FRC is (I think because, well, it's high school).

I'd appreciate more ways to score as well, though I think the reason FRC has shied away from it is to make the games more spectator-friendly. How many sports have 3-4 ways to score?
Well, football does. It's on its own island in that respect, however.
2012 Championship Newton Division Finalists—Thanks 330 and 639 for the Full Court Press! | 2013 Kettering University District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2014 Great Lakes Bay Region District Winners—Thanks 288, 4819, and 5166! | 2014 Waterford District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2014 Michigan FRC State Championship Chairman's Award Winners—Congratulations 33 and 503! | 2015 Center Line District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2015 Lansing District Winners—Thanks 314 and 1684! | 2015 FIRST in Michigan District Championship Chairman's Award Winners—Congratulations 503 and 2137!

#167   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM
1 + 1 = 0 (in Z/2Z)
AKA: Andy D.
FRC #1482 (Bishop Grandin Ghosts)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
lorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to beholdlorem3k is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebflippers View Post
As a programmer I would love to see more autonomous time next game. Maybe 30 seconds?
I'd like to see a longer autonomous period as well. The longer the autonomous time is, the more variables there are that need to be accounted for, which would help programmers learn about some of the challenges faced in "real-world" situations like automated assembly lines.
  #168   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Lead Designer
FRC #3335

jon-s is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
FLL isn't an interactive head-to-head sport; FRC is (I think because, well, it's high school).
FRC is a head to head competition not so much because it's for highschool, as that all the robots are in one large field (like most team oriented sports) and are thus able to interfere/aid one another. It would be drastically more difficult (many programmers already struggle with the current autonomous) if the whole FRC game was autonomous.

FLL can work easily as a (virtually) autonomous competition since the robots can only ever interact in one mission/task, which is either a race to activate/collect an object, or which will give both teams points. The robots are in otherwise entirely isolated fields.
  #169   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Dare greatly
AKA: 1640 coach 2010-2014
FRC #2641 (PCCR; Refs & RIs)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Siri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-s View Post
FRC is a head to head competition not so much because it's for highschool, as that all the robots are in one large field (like most team oriented sports) and are thus able to interfere/aid one another. It would be drastically more difficult (many programmers already struggle with the current autonomous) if the whole FRC game was autonomous.

FLL can work easily as a (virtually) autonomous competition since the robots can only ever interact in one mission/task, which is either a race to activate/collect an object, or which will give both teams points. The robots are in otherwise entirely isolated fields.
Of course, yes. At the manifest level, (virtual) autonomous works because FLL robots compete individually, whereas FRC work many at once. But can't be the root cause--FIRST themselves decided those structures.

I suspect (with no evidence besides knowing elementary & high school students) that the main reason FIRST made the decision to have multiple FRC robots on one large field is because, well, high schoolers like head-to-head sports. (The direct competition adding qualities seen in most of their...competing...interests in a way most elementary schoolers are not yet as motivated towards.) And as we've agreed, programming at this level just doesn't work as well--for anyone, but certainly for high schoolers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekcrbe View Post
Well, football does. It's on its own island in that respect, however.
Oh Ok. I thought it was like two. (The running thing and the kicking thing, yeah?) Maybe that sort of supports FIRST simplifying its rules for quasi-spectators. Lucky football doesn't have to rely on its own quasi-spectators like me!
  #170   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2012, 06:05 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh Ok. I thought it was like two. (The running thing and the kicking thing, yeah?) Maybe that sort of supports FIRST simplifying its rules for quasi-spectators. Lucky football doesn't have to rely on its own quasi-spectators like me!
Actually...

-You can get the football into your opponent's end zone (6 points).
--You can then either kick it through the uprights for one point or put it in the end zone again (1 and 2 points respectively).
-You can kick a field goal (3 points).
-You can bring your opponents down in their end zone with the football after they've crossed the plane of the goal line going towards the field (or they send the ball out the back of the end zone), also known as a safety (2 points+ possession of the ball).

That's 5 ways to score, two of which are repeats of others for fewer points under certain circumstances.

On to other things like separated fields... Not gonna happen. I've seen how it looks when FRC-sized robots are competing FLL style, admittedly for a longer match on a harder task. Spectator-friendly, not so much (that's where you need TV-type coverage to fill in gaps or what have you).

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#171   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:57 PM
AKA: Kevin
FRC #0675 (Tech High Robotics†)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
KevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud of

Okay so from looking at past games and history here is what I assume the 2013 game will be like.

Stacking will be involved and same with hanging. When I say hanging, I don't mean like 2010, I mean like 2004 when you have to hang off a bar like that.

I also image getting around the field quickly will be essential for a successful robot.

I have a feeling there will be some height restriction. Basically I'm imagine a mixture of 2010, 2003, and 2004. 2010 with something like the tunnel, 2003 with the stacking, and 2004 with the high-bar. Basically stacking will be hard with an obstacle about 3-4 feet tall you have to drive under. Designing a stacking robot with hanging capabilities and a height restriction/obstacle will prove difficult, but fun!

Thoughts?

Last edited by KevinGoneNuts : 06-07-2012 at 05:03 PM.
  #172   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:52 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGoneNuts View Post
I have a feeling there will be some height restriction. Basically I'm imagine a mixture of 2010, 2003, and 2004. 2010 with something like the tunnel, 2003 with the stacking, and 2004 with the high-bar. Basically stacking will be hard with an obstacle about 3-4 feet tall you have to drive under. Designing a stacking robot with hanging capabilities and a height restriction/obstacle will prove difficult, but fun!

Thoughts?
You mean like 2000, but with stacking objects instead of filling troughs? That could be highly entertaining. And in informal CD polling, 2000 is one of the best-liked games, right up there with 2004, 2006, and 2010 (and possibly 2012).

#173   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 01:08 PM
No capes
AKA: Olivia Gifford
FRC #1094 (The Channel Cats)
Team Role: Driver

OliviaG is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to OliviaG

I have a feeling their going to use crates in the 2013 game, and maybe inner tubes, because 2010 was using soccer balls, then 2011 was inner tubes, and this year was basketballs, so it kind of looks like a pattern. But I would like to see them do something different from the past games, well they do but its either balls or inner tubes, I hope they use crates though.
"Not everyone has the chance to do great things - to learn how to build a robot while working alongside some of the greatest mentors you will ever meet, to become one with your team, and learn to be a gracious professional while competing with exceptional teams. It's not every day you meet people who want to change the world. Being inspired, learning, creating, thinking, and doing things to shape the future. THIS IS FIRST." -Me

Last edited by OliviaG : 06-08-2012 at 01:12 PM.
  #174   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:56 PM
#StickToTheStratisQuo
AKA: Gregor Browning
no team

Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see something similar to 2005 where the robots were disabled when the human player loaded the robot. However I would also like to see some in-game importance to the human player that directly or indirectly effects the store (i.e. 2012/2011), but not game changing (i.e. 2009/2004), or menial (i.e. 2010).
FLL 2011-2015 Glen Ames Robotics-Student, Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-2015 Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Drive Captain
FRC 2011-xxxx Volunteer
How I came to be a FIRSTer
<Since 2011
  #175   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2012, 05:37 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor01 View Post
I would like to see something similar to 2005 where the robots were disabled when the human player loaded the robot. However I would also like to see some in-game importance to the human player that directly or indirectly effects the store (i.e. 2012/2011), but not game changing (i.e. 2009/2004), or menial (i.e. 2010).
2003's Human Player mode would fit it quite well, I think.

For those that don't know that game, the HP's actually played on the field. That's right, the first 15 seconds of each match were taken up by the 4 HPs each running 4 bins, marked with retro-reflective tape in addition to normal markings, onto the field, and then going back through the gates and standing on pressure pads. When all 4 were on the pads and the gates closed, the normal 2:15 match started, and the HPs retreated behind the glass with their drive teams. Then the robots started targeting the stacks... What do you expect from a game called "Stack Attack"?

#176   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

I still thnk water game - 20 feet of pool noodle is enough to float a 120 pound robot.....so they are bumpers on the land portion and floats on the water portion.
2018 IndyRAGE Planning Committee
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #177   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:46 PM
#StickToTheStratisQuo
no team

Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz View Post
I still thnk water game - 20 feet of pool noodle is enough to float a 120 pound robot.....so they are bumpers on the land portion and floats on the water portion.
oh please.
FRC 2011-xxxx Volunteer
<Since 2011
  #178   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:54 PM
AKA: Nathan
FRC #1178 (DURT)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
sithmonkey13 is a name known to allsithmonkey13 is a name known to allsithmonkey13 is a name known to allsithmonkey13 is a name known to allsithmonkey13 is a name known to allsithmonkey13 is a name known to all

I do not believe we will have to have our robots hang off a bar, as that was the goal in 2010, and the rookies (who were Freshman) in 2010 will now be Seniors and still on teams. From my understanding, FIRST usually only reuses some (of the major) elements at least every 4 years, so that students are not used to challenge.

Case in Point: use of inner tubes in 2007, use of inner tubes in 2011 when all students from that game were gone.
Note: You cannot tell the difference between "OK Go" and "OK No" when there 2 walls between you and the robot. At that point, the only thing between injury and safety for the mechanical guys is their ninja skills.
  #179   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:15 AM
#StickToTheStratisQuo
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithmonkey13 View Post
I do not believe we will have to have our robots hang off a bar, as that was the goal in 2010, and the rookies (who were Freshman) in 2010 will now be Seniors and still on teams. From my understanding, FIRST usually only reuses some (of the major) elements at least every 4 years, so that students are not used to challenge.

Case in Point: use of inner tubes in 2007, use of inner tubes in 2011 when all students from that game were gone.
2006 and 2009 were very similar in terms of robot specs. Intake with (maybe a hopper and) a shooter.
FRC 2011-xxxx Volunteer
<Since 2011
  #180   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Team Mentor
AKA: Sandra
FRC #0195 (Cyber Knights)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2006
Banderoonies is a name known to allBanderoonies is a name known to allBanderoonies is a name known to allBanderoonies is a name known to allBanderoonies is a name known to allBanderoonies is a name known to all

I'd like to see something original. Maybe large scales and various weights around the arena. As the weights picked up by the Bots and carried to the scales it rises a water level in a tube or something like that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: