OCCRA
Go to Post 2010 game piece--- participation medals - johnr [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #181   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM
#StickToTheStratisQuo
AKA: Gregor Browning
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2013 Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banderoonies View Post
I'd like to see something original. Maybe large scales and various weights around the arena. As the weights picked up by the Bots and carried to the scales it rises a water level in a tube or something like that.
inb4cries of a water game
FLL 2011-2015 Glen Ames Robotics-Student, Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-2015 Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Drive Captain
FRC 2011-xxxx Volunteer
How I came to be a FIRSTer
<Since 2011
  #182   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:46 PM
FF: Cup of Joe
AKA: Joseph Cupchack
no team (FiM Volunteer Extraordinaire)

Rookie Year: 2011
JosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond repute

Eric and I actually came up with a game that the GDC can use for a water game. Which is more then I can say for anyone else.

Main Game: There are several lunacy like goal weighted down on the bottom of a pool. 1 or more robots on a 3 robot alliance must go underwater to pick up at least one of the goals. the remaining robot(s) must score balls filled with a substance less dense then water so they float. each ball scored would be X amount of points, they must remain in the basket until the buzzer to be counted.

End Game: X points are awarded per ball to any alliance that can then take their basket(s) and set them upside down on the bottom of the pool.

Alternate End Game: X points are awarded to each Robot that hangs on a bar(s) located in the middle of the field. Bars are X distance from the water. Robots must be completed out of the water to count.

I haven't thought up an autonomous yet. Ideas?

Last edited by JosephC : 06-10-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Grammar
  #183   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:10 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephC View Post
Eric and I actually came up with a game that the GDC can use for a water game. Which is more then I can say for anyone else.
I've cut out most of the post due to length, but I must ask one question: How deep is the pool? 3"? 3'? 8'? And how big of an area will it cover? Think very carefully about all the implications before you answer.

The reason is this: You have to move the entire pool into and out of the venue. (Unless there's one already there, which I highly doubt.) You also have to avoid damaging stuff that's already there. And there are other things that I could go into.

tl;dr: There's a reason nobody's seriously proposing a water game.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#184   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:22 PM

JosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
I've cut out most of the post due to length, but I must ask one question: How deep is the pool? 3"? 3'? 8'? And how big of an area will it cover? Think very carefully about all the implications before you answer.

The reason is this: You have to move the entire pool into and out of the venue. (Unless there's one already there, which I highly doubt.)
Answer 1: Average swimming pool size I suppose.

Answer 2: I personally believe that First is slowly switching to venues to have pools. In Michigan this year our newest district competition was at Northville. Northville has a swimming pool, the previous venue did not. And Saint Louis does have a river...
  #185   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:47 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Answer 1: Average swimming pool size I suppose.

Answer 2: I personally believe that First is slowly switching to venues to have pools. In Michigan this year our newest district competition was at Northville. Northville has a swimming pool, the previous venue did not. And Saint Louis does have a river...
I think that switching to venues that happen to have pools is a coincidence. FWIW, most high schools in the U.S. would have a pool (or have one nearby), but would also be cheaper to put a FRC event in than a sports arena. With FRC moving to more events for less money, it just makes sense to go to cheaper venues. Whether said cheaper venues have a pool or not at that point is a non-issue--it just turns out that way or not.

But here's the kicker: if the pool is in the Midwest, it's going to be either indoors or empty during competition, something about winter and pools not being filled during winter if outdoors. If the pool is in the South or Southwest, there's at least a 50% chance if not much higher that it'll be outdoors! That introduces a whole new dimension to the game, known as weather, which in some areas of the country could result in everybody watching getting soaked by rain or heavily sunburned. Plus you get varying lighting conditions, debris "on" the field, you get the picture. And oh, yeah, throw in some rather annoyed swim teams because there went their practice space for a week (gotta set up, gotta remove all debris afterwards, and don't forget to check all the chemical levels).

Also, in 2008 the Los Angeles regional shared a venue with a "pool". It should be noted, however, that the venue was double-booked that weekend. (And there were some not-too-happy teams due to the resulting crowded pits.) The following year, the regional moved to across the street from a harbor. No water game yet...

#186   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:59 PM

It's just a joke of course. To feed the "Water Game" hype.

However, to deal with the weather, just put a tent up over the pool. We just played at IGVC this weekend in 90 degree weather.
  #187   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Quote:
It's just a joke of course. To feed the "Water Game" hype.

However, to deal with the weather, just put a tent up over the pool. We just played at IGVC this weekend in 90 degree weather.
I have to say, a tent over the pool might help... but it depends on the type. Also see "Epcot parking lot pits" and "It comes in anyway" for an enclosed or a popup, respectively.

#188   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I have to say, a tent over the pool might help... but it depends on the type. Also see "Epcot parking lot pits" and "It comes in anyway" for an enclosed or a popup, respectively.
We actually managed to fit 25 team's pits under a enclosed tent with the field. And that was with the other 1/2 being used by Robofest.
  #189   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Physics Major
AKA: Roger Romani
FRC #0100 (The Wildhats) and FRC#971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
DampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And oh, yeah, throw in some rather annoyed swim teams because there went their practice space for a week (gotta set up, gotta remove all debris afterwards, and don't forget to check all the chemical levels).
After all these years thinking that a water game would be a boon for a swimmer, I just realized that it would involve kicking me out of my pool for long periods of time! I suppose build season does this anyway...

There are many weird sports that have yet to be emulated by an FRC game, but Swimming/Water Polo always seems to come up more than the rest in 20xx game threads. Why don't equally improbable sports like rock climbing or dirt biking, for example, get the attention that the mythical "water game" always seems to?

-Plutarch
  #190   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampRobot View Post
After all these years thinking that a water game would be a boon for a swimmer, I just realized that it would involve kicking me out of my pool for long periods of time! I suppose build season does this anyway...

There are many weird sports that have yet to be emulated by an FRC game, but Swimming/Water Polo always seems to come up more than the rest in 20xx game threads. Why don't equally improbable sports like rock climbing or dirt biking, for example, get the attention that the mythical "water game" always seems to?
They might actually happen. It would remove the "mystical" part.
  #191   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:35 AM
MIssin' the MItten
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #4640 (Metallic Panthers)

Ekcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor01 View Post
2006 and 2009 were very similar in terms of robot specs. Intake with (maybe a hopper and) a shooter.
But scoring those balls, driving, and the endgame were drastically different. The 2009 challenge was very heavy on being able to drive effectively compared to other years.
2012 Championship Newton Division Finalists—Thanks 330 and 639 for the Full Court Press! | 2013 Kettering University District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2014 Great Lakes Bay Region District Winners—Thanks 288, 4819, and 5166! | 2014 Waterford District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2014 Michigan FRC State Championship Chairman's Award Winners—Congratulations 33 and 503! | 2015 Center Line District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2015 Lansing District Winners—Thanks 314 and 1684! | 2015 FIRST in Michigan District Championship Chairman's Award Winners—Congratulations 503 and 2137!

#192   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:39 AM
MIssin' the MItten
AKA: Erik Boyle
FRC #4640 (Metallic Panthers)

Ekcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond reputeEkcrbe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Main Game: There are several lunacy like goal weighted down on the bottom of a pool. 1 or more robots on a 3 robot alliance must go underwater to pick up at least one of the goals. the remaining robot(s) must score balls filled with a substance less dense then water so they float. each ball scored would be X amount of points, they must remain in the basket until the buzzer to be counted.

End Game: X points are awarded per ball to any alliance that can then take their basket(s) and set them upside down on the bottom of the pool.

Alternate End Game: X points are awarded to each Robot that hangs on a bar(s) located in the middle of the field. Bars are X distance from the water. Robots must be completed out of the water to count.

I haven't thought up an autonomous yet. Ideas?
A. It was a thought we joked around with at lunch after a demo one day, not something we actually expect to happen.

B. SPELL MY NAME RIGHT! I'm on your team.
2012 Championship Newton Division Finalists—Thanks 330 and 639 for the Full Court Press! | 2013 Kettering University District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2014 Great Lakes Bay Region District Winners—Thanks 288, 4819, and 5166! | 2014 Waterford District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2014 Michigan FRC State Championship Chairman's Award Winners—Congratulations 33 and 503! | 2015 Center Line District Chairman's Award Winners! | 2015 Lansing District Winners—Thanks 314 and 1684! | 2015 FIRST in Michigan District Championship Chairman's Award Winners—Congratulations 503 and 2137!

#193   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2012, 01:54 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Quote:
We actually managed to fit 25 team's pits under a enclosed tent with the field. And that was with the other 1/2 being used by Robofest.
Not bad. I just remember in Florida a few weeks back, 55 robot teams (college level) in an enclosed tent. They fit with plenty of space, but the air conditioning needed help, though it was better than outside. (The field, for other reasons, was in a different enclosed tent. That A/C still needed help, but not because of number of people--everyone in that tent was in a "bunny suit". See my avatar if you don't know what one is.)

Yeah, I think water game just gets too much attention. So, I say we try for a curling-based or cricket-based game...

#194   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:59 PM
#StickToTheStratisQuo
no team

Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So, I say we try for a curling-based (snip) game
Sounds like regolith
FRC 2011-xxxx Volunteer
<Since 2011
  #195   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2012, 06:13 PM
#StickToTheStratisQuo
no team

Due to recent comm issues, I think we will use wired connection next year.

The job of the human player will be to suspend from the ceiling and hold the cable.

Any takers?

FRC 2011-xxxx Volunteer
<Since 2011

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: