OCCRA
Go to Post I owe it to the FIRST community and the awesome users of this site to keep working on this site and making it better. I will do so until someone from Chief Delphi pulls me away from it and tells me to stop. - Brandon Martus [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #196   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-17-2012, 11:30 PM
FF: Cup of Joe
AKA: Joseph Cupchack
no team (FiM Volunteer Extraordinaire)

Rookie Year: 2011
JosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond reputeJosephC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2013 Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor01 View Post
Due to recent comm issues, I think we will use wired connection next year.

The job of the human player will be to suspend from the ceiling and hold the cable.

Any takers?

Only if I get a full harnness
  #197   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM
FRC #3711

lucasking94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: 2013 Game?

Since FIRST robotics has conquered tubes (2011) and balls (2012) it would only seem logical to use something like a frisbee in 2013 or another very different object.
  #198   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Robots For All
AKA: noops
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Anupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh Ooh! We should so see something with stacking bins. Stacking bins filled with Hexagonal wire mesh game pieces. And playground balls. Bring all of them back!
  #199   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
Wayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to see a game with hollow cylinders. For example, a 24" long section of 6" PVC drain pipe, etc. Length, diameter, material, and weight could be whatever works for the game. There could even be multiple size game pieces.

There are several ways to pick up a cylinder, so we would see a variety of new and reconfigured manipulator concepts. Orienting the manipulator/chassis to pick up a cylinder and then reorienting the game piece to release it for scoring would require some fresh thinking. Multi-piece handling would be even more ambitious.

The game could reward the ability to control and orient the game piece when released - lowest points for pushing them into a low goal, more for depositing them randomly in an elevated goal, more points still for stacking them like logs, even more for hanging them on pegs, etc.

FRC 1918 (Competing at St. Joseph and West MI in 2017)
FTC 6043 & 7911
  #200   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Excellence is Bliss
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Alumni

AlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne TenBrink View Post
I would like to see a game with hollow cylinders. For example, a 24" long section of 6" PVC drain pipe, etc. Length, diameter, material, and weight could be whatever works for the game. There could even be multiple size game pieces.

There are several ways to pick up a cylinder, so we would see a variety of new and reconfigured manipulator concepts. Orienting the manipulator/chassis to pick up a cylinder and then reorienting the game piece to release it for scoring would require some fresh thinking. Multi-piece handling would be even more ambitious.

The game could reward the ability to control and orient the game piece when released - lowest points for pushing them into a low goal, more for depositing them randomly in an elevated goal, more points still for stacking them like logs, even more for hanging them on pegs, etc.
Using PVC pipe as a game piece has already been done by FTC in 2010 with "Get Over It" and I have to say that the execution was particularly bad. Few teams could actually pick up and score the game pieces. I remember being in the division near the FTC field while playing Logomotion. Watching those FTC elims matches was painful .

Not saying that FIRST can't do it right, but I'm just sharing my experiences.
  #201   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Lead Technical Mentor
AKA: Robert Cory Molloy
FRC #2659 (RoboWarriors)

Rookie Year: 2009
rcmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond repute

Since rehashes of old games are in the agenda for the last time next year, I am believeing to expect that we will see a 2005/2004 where tetras will be the main scoring element having 3 scoring locations. Two at the ends of the fields in the corner/middle in between driver stations and one in the middle of the field on each side touching the wall. In between these two scoring areas, you now have a bar similar to 2004 where you can hang from for extra points. Hanging from another robot would be more points as well.

That's the most likely scenairo I can see being used now.

"Life's about making mistakes but it's also about trying to be great."
  #202   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Sunny
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMataloni View Post
Using PVC pipe as a game piece has already been done by FTC in 2010 with "Get Over It" and I have to say that the execution was particularly bad. Few teams could actually pick up and score the game pieces. I remember being in the division near the FTC field while playing Logomotion. Watching those FTC elims matches was painful .

Not saying that FIRST can't do it right, but I'm just sharing my experiences.
From my experience in FTC, this speaks more to the kits rather than the game. I'm sure if something similar was set up in FRC, it wouldn't be half as bad.

Where's the game hint? It should be around here somewhere...

No, but really, I feel like the veterans are getting bored, to a certain degree. It'll be interesting to find a game in which the veterans lack experience, the rookies can potentially play focused roles, and people can still easily understand what's going on.

Irregularly shaped objects seems about right on this note, as it allows teams to second guess their rollers/intakes and step back from the board.

- Sunny G.
  #203   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Division by Pirates
FRC #0229 (Division by Zero)

Rookie Year: 2012
Jay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond reputeJay O'Donnell has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasking94 View Post
Since FIRST robotics has conquered tubes (2011) and balls (2012) it would only seem logical to use something like a frisbee in 2013 or another very different object.
I've actually been thinking about a frisbee game (actually I designed one as part of an English essay) and i think it would be very interesting. I feel like getting a robot to throw a frisbee would be inredibly difficult. Whatever the game is next year it'll sure be fun!
FRC Intern (Summer 2017)
  #204   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 03:39 PM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)

Wayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttldomination View Post
... I feel like the veterans are getting bored, to a certain degree. It'll be interesting to find a game in which the veterans lack experience, the rookies can potentially play focused roles, and people can still easily understand what's going on.

Irregularly shaped objects seems about right on this note, as it allows teams to second guess their rollers/intakes and step back from the board.

- Sunny G.
Not that our team has mastered rollerclaw or anything, but it would be great if the game piece manipulator required/rewarded teams that were able to think outside of the roller box. What was the last game piece that wasn't best handled with some sort of roller/roller claw? Triple Play in 2005?

FRC 1918 (Competing at St. Joseph and West MI in 2017)
FTC 6043 & 7911
  #205   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne TenBrink View Post
Not that our team has mastered rollerclaw or anything, but it would be great if the game piece manipulator required/rewarded teams that were able to think outside of the roller box. What was the last game piece that wasn't best handled with some sort of roller/roller claw? Triple Play in 2005?
Yep, 2005. The best handling device for the tetras tended to be a stick of some form with a crossbar, at least if placing them one by one was your goal.

The one before that was 2003's bins, which a roller would work very well for.

Then you have to go back to 1999's floppies... those would be rather tough with a roller.

I'm also leaving out the large exercise balls used in several years before 2005, and the mobile goals that fall into the same category, simply because on the balls you can use a roller, though a claw may be a better option, and on the goals there are too many types to go through good handling options.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#206   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
FIRST is inherently political
AKA: Wil "just give me crabcake" Payne
FRC #0422 (The Tex-Mex Drajones)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

I think FIRST really wants to develop games that are easy to understand and follow through simple rules, obvious scoring methods and foul calls, and live score counts. It's very important to engage people not in the competition but still attending them.

That being said, there are only two games in the modern era that have come close to those goals, but I expect them to carry those principles in game design with them in the future just like colored bumpers and 120 pound limits. I can't really predict what will come in 2013, but I expect you'll get a weird game piece that no one has dealt with in FRC before, and it will be offense-driven.

With Gracious Professionalism, fierce competition and mutual gain are not separate notions. Gracious professionals learn and compete like crazy, but treat one another with respect and kindness in the process. They avoid treating anyone like losers. No chest thumping tough talk, but no sticky-sweet platitudes either. Knowledge, competition, and empathy are comfortably blended.

In the long run, Gracious Professionalism is part of pursuing a meaningful life. One can add to society and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing one has acted with integrity and sensitivity.
  #207   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-24-2012, 08:51 PM
In a server room somewhere...
AKA: Dustin Shadbolt
FRC #1555 (Team PULSE)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Dustin Shadbolt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
I think FIRST really wants to develop games that are easy to understand and follow through simple rules, obvious scoring methods and foul calls, and live score counts. It's very important to engage people not in the competition but still attending them.

That being said, there are only two games in the modern era that have come close to those goals, but I expect them to carry those principles in game design with them in the future just like colored bumpers and 120 pound limits. I can't really predict what will come in 2013, but I expect you'll get a weird game piece that no one has dealt with in FRC before, and it will be offense-driven.
I really hope they do develop games that are easy to relate guests with, but also provide the kids the challenge they want. I truly loved Breakaway. It was a game I could explain to someone in less than a minute and they could completely understand everything. It was also a challenge for the drivers/teams. I also agree it's time for a stacking game! cough underwaterstacking cough.
  #208   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2012, 09:53 PM
AKA: Kevin
FRC #0675 (Tech High Robotics†)

Rookie Year: 2008
KevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud ofKevinGoneNuts has much to be proud of

Does anyone know if in 2003, anyone actually built a stacking bot? I'm looking at video from stack attack and they're all pretty much small bots designed to just knock the wall to their side which would inevitably win the game.

I also want to know if there were any prohibited zones that the other alliance We're not able to enter without getting penalized?

I feel like if they wanted to encourage stacking and not hording in the 2013 game then they would have to have some type of stacking zone that other alliances were unable to touch until some point in the match.
  #209   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2012, 10:32 PM
When in doubt use Sugru
AKA: Daron Chandler
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Dchandler is an unknown quantity at this point

Since it has been awhile since I read the posts in this thread, I hope that I'm not repeating anything.

The possibility of stacking game seems highly probable either this year or maybe the next. If people's assumptions are true, I'm interested in seeing on how FIRST plans to make it viewer-friendly like Rebound Rumble. Robot Jenga maybe? I wouldn't mind too much of a reinvention of Triple Play. The matches I watched online didn't seem too bad and the game was easy to follow.

Also, with the minibots being made from FTC parts and the bridges this year being taken from Get Over It!, I wonder if the GDC will add another FTC element into 2013 also. Bowling ballsmaybr? Why stop there drivetrains made from Legos.

I'm more interested in the end game next year. It's going to be hard topping the excitement of a split-second triple balance.
  #210   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2012, 10:58 PM
#StickToTheStratisQuo
AKA: Gregor Browning
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGoneNuts View Post
I also want to know if there were any prohibited zones that the other alliance We're not able to enter without getting penalized?
The manual to the 2003 game (and any other game between 2002 and 2012) can be found here
FLL 2011-2015 Glen Ames Robotics-Student, Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-2015 Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Drive Captain
FRC 2011-xxxx Volunteer
How I came to be a FIRSTer
<Since 2011

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: