OCCRA
Go to Post [how to read the rules] Slowly, carefully, word by word, taking your time as if it was the last corndog of the summer. - Foster [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 02:42 PM

Lord Nerdlinger has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Horribly behind??

right now we have nothing done like serously nothing, if you walked into our shop you would see no parts of any robot, i've very worried

is anyone else behind schedule?

Last year we made our robot really quickly but it was shoddy and this year we are trying to make it super quality by designing everything and milling stuff and so forth, but we aren't getting anywhere.

think we should sacrifice the qualityness and just make something that we can ship at the deadline?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Woodie Flowers Award
purple
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Ken Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Horribly behind??

Lord N-

One axiom that works for our team when we are in trouble (although usually we don't recognize it until much later in the 6 weeks) is the following:

"Cut something off"

Get rid of a function. It will save weight, time, controls effort. The risk, of course is that you will have a less-useful robot. But.... if you cut the right thing(s) off, you might have a better robot.

Hope this helps,
Ken
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:00 PM
YA TOAST!
AKA: David Butzin
FRC #0066 (The Flyers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
David66 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid66 has a spectacular aura aboutDavid66 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to David66 Send a message via Yahoo to David66

Get a drivetrain up and running, period. Set a goal. Since you are behind the best goal to set at this point is to have a drivetrain up and running by mid-meeting Friday period. If you don't already meet on saturdays plan on meeting this saturday, perhaps even sunday. But no matter what get that drivetrain done. because if worse comes to worst you have somehting to ship in two weeks.

After the drovetrain is complete set a goal of 3-4 days to have some mechanism/function of your robot complete. Meet extra days/hours whatever is necessary to complete that goal. that way when February 24 rolls around you can put a functioning robot in a shipping crate. Best policy is generally (for your team) one system at a time.

2005 West Michigan Regional Champions with team 107 (Holland Christian High School) and Team 93 (New Apple Corps)

2002 National Champions
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Mandy_Candy

Yea... our team (1236) is way behind too... but that was mostly due to 3 snow days! We dont even have a drive train together... but i suppose we'll finish it!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David66
Get a drivetrain up and running, period. Set a goal. Since you are behind the best goal to set at this point is to have a drivetrain up and running by mid-meeting Friday period. If you don't already meet on saturdays plan on meeting this saturday, perhaps even sunday. But no matter what get that drivetrain done. because if worse comes to worst you have somehting to ship in two weeks.

After the drovetrain is complete set a goal of 3-4 days to have some mechanism/function of your robot complete. Meet extra days/hours whatever is necessary to complete that goal. that way when February 24 rolls around you can put a functioning robot in a shipping crate. Best policy is generally (for your team) one system at a time.
the ridiculous thing is we've been meeting like non stop, everyday afterschool from 3:30 - 9:00 and weekends from 11:00 - 1 (AM), i think the problem is that we don't know how to really do anything, (just kids no mentors) so we end up wasting alot of time trying to figure stuff out / making something only to realize we did it wrong. We built a drivetrain / gearbox / and frame for the robot and had to scrap it all b/c it didn't work
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Class of OT9
FRC #0771 (S.W.A.T. (St. Mildred's Women Advancing Technology))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
shyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to shyra1353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nerdlinger
the ridiculous thing is we've been meeting like non stop, everyday afterschool from 3:30 - 9:00 and weekends from 11:00 - 1 (AM), i think the problem is that we don't know how to really do anything, (just kids no mentors) so we end up wasting alot of time trying to figure stuff out / making something only to realize we did it wrong. We built a drivetrain / gearbox / and frame for the robot and had to scrap it all b/c it didn't work
since you are having the problem with lack of mentors, is there another team in your area that would be willing to either help you ? or share their mentors with you ? or is there a parent from a team member willing to do this ? even if he or she cant stay for the whole time, from my understanding, any help will be a great deal.

Good luck
--Shyra

2006: 771 - SWAT - mentor
2007: 912 - Iron Lyons - mentor
if you're going around in circles...then maybe you're cutting corners
aim for the moon and if you miss at least you will land amongst the starts

Email: underscore.asdf@gmail.com
My Website!!
Shirts available for trade: 2005 SWAT 771, 2004 Team 1353, 2003 FIRST Canadian Regional, and 2005 Greater Toronto Regional.
I am also interested in operator/safety captain badges, pins, or any other handouts your team may have given out that you would be willing to mail to Canada.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:19 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

I see that you are in Irvine, California. LA, right?

The list of teams willing to mentor in California is located here.

Teams that I know are active on these boards and will have a better idea of location due to general proximity are 294 and 330.

If you need enginnering help, they will most likely be willing to help you either directly or more local help.

As for your question, some quality is better then no quality.

Wetzel
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetzel
I see that you are in Irvine, California. LA, right?

The list of teams willing to mentor in California is located here.

Teams that I know are active on these boards and will have a better idea of location due to general proximity are 294 and 330.

If you need enginnering help, they will most likely be willing to help you either directly or more local help.

As for your question, some quality is better then no quality.

Wetzel
last year (our rookie year) team 294 was our "mentor" but we only met with them twice i think and they did provide some advice, but it's nothing like having a resident engineer.

I'm not complaining about not having any mentors, I think it makes it more rewarding, it's just that we sometimes get frustrated at our inabilities and our lack of knowledge.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:28 PM
Door Opener Mint Mentor
AKA: Cheryl Miller
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Redhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
last year (our rookie year) team 294 was our "mentor" but we only met with them twice i think and they did provide some advice, but it's nothing like having a resident engineer.
I'm not complaining about not having any mentors, I think it makes it more rewarding, it's just that we sometimes get frustrated at our inabilities and our lack of knowledge.
Hey guys! We're still here. Earlier this season you said you didn't want mentoring. Doesn't mean you can't contact us or visit us anytime. Cell phone #'s are on our website press page. Our rookies Santa Monica call us often, and visit. Our rookies South High are more like you guys - "we'll do it ourselves" and Palos Verdes is 3rd year with all new member and mentors just getting their robot off the ground and visiting our facility today for help.
motto: Two Rival Schools, One Team...ride the Tide.
2004 So Cal Chairman's Award, Phoenix Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2003 So Cal Regional Finalist and Sportsmanship Award, Phoenix Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2001 So Cal Regional and National Champions, Regional Image Award
Gracious Professionalism Poster
Mint: To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion. Mentor: a wise and trusted guide and advisor.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

I know this is a little late in the game but you should try asking not only parents but also teachers if they would help. Even if they take turns showing up it's better than no direction. They might even know of others that would be happy to help. Did you try asking your sponsors or local businesses for help?

[edit] I didn't realize Redhead Jokes responded before I did (that's what I get for not hitting the refresh button enough!). From what I'm reading I'm a little confused. Redhead Jokes (294) said you turned down mentoring but your complaining about your inability and lack of knowledge. That's what mentors are for. I understand the satisfaction of building a robot all by yourself with no help, but to go it alone isn't wise. I'm not trying to be judgemental of your decision, I'm just trying to get a concept of what I've read in this thread.[edit}
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown

Last edited by Jay H 237 : 02-01-2004 at 03:55 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 04:01 PM
volunteer helper
FRC #6099 (Knights)

Rookie Year: 1997
meaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond repute

Just a suggestion - review the concepts before you build anything with a few folks on CD forum. Post digital photos even if they are of the stuff drawn on chalk boards or sketches. Ask questions with an open mind as you will more than likely get answers from many people that would be willing to help (online mentoring? - why not?) Can't be with ya, but we have always found that a fresh look from someone else validates ideas and provides a greater sense of assurance that something WILL work after it is made. Try it - you may be surprised with the results. Oh, by the way - meeting is great, but progress is easier measured against a plan of action and time schedule. I'm a nut for planning and I drive my team crazy - unfornately every team needs a task master.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 04:54 PM
#0811 (A.R.C.)

bigqueue will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bigqueue Send a message via Yahoo to bigqueue

Quote:
right now we have nothing done like serously nothing, if you walked into our shop you would see no parts of any robot, i've very worried

is anyone else behind schedule?

Last year we made our robot really quickly but it was shoddy and this year we are trying to make it super quality by designing everything and milling stuff and so forth, but we aren't getting anywhere.

think we should sacrifice the qualityness and just make something that we can ship at the deadline?

Join the club......we are going way over schedule on a number of things. We are talking about all sorts of things, most certainly extra hours...but perhaps cutting back to something do-able.

Ah, the fun of limitted time, limitted manpower and limitted budgets!!!!

-Quentin
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 05:11 PM
aKa - Steve Bennett
FRC #0125 (NUtrons)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
DaBruteForceGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DaBruteForceGuy

wait, you guys have built stuff already!?!?!? oh crud, um.... what is *behin schedule* defined as at this point in the game anyway?
..... and how can u be behind schedule if you don;t have a definitive schedule in the first place??

---The pessimist complains about the wind, the optimist hopes that the wind will change... the realist adjusts the sail.
***<Therapist> Tell me, is the glass half full or half empty?
***<Engineer> Neither, the glass is too big.---

....Uh, GO NUTRONS!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 06:53 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

talking about nothing is done... three weeks are gone... we just put together the transmission yesterday (saturday)... we dont meet that often... we get together on thursdays for updates and saturdays to build the robot... so basically we have 6 days to build the robot.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Team Role: Driver

MASherry has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy_Candy
Yea... our team (1236) is way behind too... but that was mostly due to 3 snow days! We dont even have a drive train together... but i suppose we'll finish it!
You guys should try to work during snow days. Usually there is a janitor there and they can let you in, that is if you work at the school. Snow Days help alot because then you have the whole day to work!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: