OCCRA
Go to Post A chop saw may cut aluminum, a knife can also be used to eat ice cream. - fox46 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2017, 07:25 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: We need a new adviser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobD View Post
Yes, I believe previous advisers were offered $3000 for the entire season. At the beginning of this school year our principal posted a job listing for a robotics mentor with engineering background and no one called about the listing. That is why our old adviser had to get her neighbor to help out.
Can the principal re-post that listing, and give you a link (that naturally you'd post on CD/email to MAR contacts/otherwise make known to the FRC community)? It may just be that there wasn't enough knowledge of said listing.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2017, 08:08 AM
FRC #1672 (Robo T-Birds)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
kylemikableh is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow guys, I really didn't expect this much help and so fast! It really means a lot that so many people and teams care about every team. I have read many of your suggestions many of which none of us thought about and will be attempting many of them in the upcoming weeks. I will keep you guys posted

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? Insanity is building the same robot everybody else does, expecting to win"
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2017, 08:19 AM
FRC #0868 (TechHOUNDS)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
aryker will become famous soon enougharyker will become famous soon enough

I've noticed that your team website is not functioning at the moment(I followed a link from The Blue Alliance and got a blank page). If you were to put up a page on your website describing your need for an adviser along with a job description and a list of things to expect, that might help you reach more potential candidates for the position.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2017, 08:13 AM
FRC #1672 (Robo T-Birds)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
kylemikableh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryker View Post
I've noticed that your team website is not functioning at the moment(I followed a link from The Blue Alliance and got a blank page). If you were to put up a page on your website describing your need for an adviser along with a job description and a list of things to expect, that might help you reach more potential candidates for the position.
Oh wow that is an amazing idea! And yeah im incharge of the website thats on me ill fix that

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity? Insanity is building the same robot everybody else does, expecting to win"
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry to hear that Mr. Light is leaving, but I suppose it is for a well-deserved retirement. I remember the day 1672 was formed.

Definitely get some of the MAR folks involved. Don Bosco has a team, and 1676 and 223 are near by and might be able to help, even if it is just to explain to prospective mentors what to expect

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2017, 09:17 AM
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)

Rookie Year: 2010
jgerstein has much to be proud ofjgerstein has much to be proud ofjgerstein has much to be proud ofjgerstein has much to be proud ofjgerstein has much to be proud ofjgerstein has much to be proud ofjgerstein has much to be proud ofjgerstein has much to be proud of

The new technology teacher your district is hiring could very easily be a good candidate for a robotics adviser as well. In addition to all the other good advice you've received, you may want to have somebody (perhaps your outgoing adviser?) suggest to the administration that they post the tech ed job opening on the NJTEEA jobs board, and that they mention the open robotics team adviser position in that listing. I've sent one person your district's way, but visibility on this position will help.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2017, 06:06 PM
AKA: Jacob
FRC #1672 (Mahwah Robo T-Birds)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2013
JacobD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerstein View Post
The new technology teacher your district is hiring could very easily be a good candidate for a robotics adviser as well. In addition to all the other good advice you've received, you may want to have somebody (perhaps your outgoing adviser?) suggest to the administration that they post the tech ed job opening on the NJTEEA jobs board, and that they mention the open robotics team adviser position in that listing. I've sent one person your district's way, but visibility on this position will help.
I will be meeting with the school principal soon about creating some listings that I can post here on CD and distribute around MAR. Also, my plan is to create a short presentation to give some teachers an insight into what it takes to run a FIRST team so that they don't jump into something that they won't be able to handle.

If I was going to be local next year, I would be at a minimum mentor the team but since I am going to college in Rochester, I am only of use up until the end of August. The team is hoping that we can at least confirm one adviser before the end of the school year so that we can do some off-season training not just for team members, but the advisers as well. With a limited machine shop, I would like to pass down some fabrication tricks before I'm gone. I've certainly learned a lot since the beginning of build season this year and it is stuff that would've helped a lot to know before we built our 2017 robot.

I also have some metal cutting rigs I want to make for versa stock.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2017, 07:39 AM
Once an engineer-always an engineer
AKA: Kevin Killian
FRC #1676 (Pascack PIoneers)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
PiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to beholdPiKman is a splendid one to behold

Kyle,

We would love to help. Check Kyle's PM or Jacob's email.
Team 1676, The Pascack πoneers
Proud to be sponsored by Dassault Falcon Jet, Inserra Supermarkets, BMW Group, Rockland Electric, BAE Systems, and Dimensional Communications

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: