OCCRA
Go to Post I am definitely not a battery or battery charging expert (far from it) but I do know enough to be dangerous (I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night)... - Don Wright [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-19-2017, 04:23 PM
AKA: Ryan Blue
FRC #1018 (Pike RoboDevils)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
firecrafty will become famous soon enoughfirecrafty will become famous soon enough
Re: 2018 Game Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by morierrrty View Post
Human players will BE the robot
That's already a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4gnySgM22I

"Programming is a science. Writing beautiful code is an art."
  #107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2017, 08:34 AM
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)

LazerHeadshot21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a cold war-themed game would be cool. The goal could be to put fuel and/or uranium in a ICBM, a mechanic could be the uranium mine which would be the neutral zone and retrieval zone, but could also act as a hazard zone in which you could only stay in for x amount of time or would be penalized (tech fouls, robot disabled due to high radioactivity, etc.). I am thinking it would look similar to stronghold.
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-06-2017, 12:56 PM
AKA: Owen Dray
FRC #2067 (Apple Pi)
Team Role: CAD

OwenD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OwenD Send a message via MSN to OwenD Send a message via Yahoo to OwenD

Correct me if I am wrong but, isn't this years MTG expansion pack Egyptian?
  #109   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-06-2017, 04:17 PM
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant future

A large volcano has emerged in the center of the FIRST field. A crust of volcanic rock is causing pressure to rise dangerously. You've been tasked with building a robot to dismantle the lava rock crust to cause smaller, less damaging eruptions. The center of the volcano is inaccessible, but you may work from a narrow platform to collect lava rocks from the center. You then must cross the outer slope to reach one of three unloading stations. Each station, when filled, is enough to trigger a mini-eruption. Work quickly to fill each station, as every 30 seconds the eruption strength increases. Filling a station within 30 seconds will erupt only a few (four) alliance-colored lava gamepieces (tbd) with it progressing (to ten per station) throughout the match. A final eruption (for any unfilled stations) will happen at 30 seconds remaining. After an eruption, pickup and deposit the lava (tbd) into cleanup bins. Any unbinned lava pieces count against the final score. HP can add additional opponent's lava to the field, but if they cross an invisible plane while doing so they are sacrificed to the volcano. Endgame: a battle for the platform. Game alternatives: a double volcano with cross traffic for loading/unloading. *tbd - frisbees, whiffle balls part deux, 6" pieces of tubing, foam rings, etc. Names: FIRST Core, Hot Spot...but please no wifi hotspot in the stands, Dean's Peak, FIRST Eruption (w/ theme song by Van Halen).
  #110   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-06-2017, 05:05 PM
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

KaranY is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes, I wonder if the Game Design committee actually comes to threads like this to gain inspiration for future games. One of these could be a 2019 game!
  #111   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 11:53 AM
AKA: Erin Fraser
FRC #4946 (The Alpha Dogs)
Team Role: Marketing

4946alphadog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayTownR View Post
It's never too early to start.
Depends what time it is, now is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too early to start speculation about water/ flying games.
  #112   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2017, 09:20 PM
FRC #5985 (Project Bucephalus)

Rookie Year: 2017
Kathryn_Lynn02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mension View Post
At Houston champs they talked a bunch about mars and robots on mars could this be a hint?
This was what I was thinking!! I think a really interesting game would be a game based on mars or another planet
  #113   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2017, 09:37 PM
AKA: Tim Flynn
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe), #1228 (RoboTribe)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
tjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn_Lynn02 View Post
This was what I was thinking!! I think a really interesting game would be a game based on mars or another planet
As long as it isn't Lunacy I'm happy. Mars game, normal gravity, no altered friction coefficients... I am peachy!

1257 (2016) - Student
1257 (2017-Present) - Overactive Alumn | 1228 (2017-Present) - Mentor of The Hour
KD2KRT
My ideas and comments are my own, bla bla bla legal. Send CADs.
  #114   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Love/Hate Relationship with Swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie)

pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope we get a different end game. Both of my years in FRC have had climbing endgames (Steamworks and Stronghold) so something like the bridge balance (2012) or mini bots (2011) would be pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian25 View Post
We've been waiting for a water game since our team was founded. We're prepared.
I think we can all relate to that.

2016: Northern Lights Regional Semifinalist (4/60) (Programming Lead, Operator)
2017: 10,000 Lakes Regional Dean's List Finalist (13/63) (Captain, Programming Lead, Driver)
2018: ??? (???)
2019: ??? (???)

Last edited by pkrishna3082 : 06-26-2017 at 09:49 PM.
  #115   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2017, 10:53 PM
FF: TSIMFD
AKA: The Semi-Obsessive Head Scout
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2015
nomythicalbeast is a jewel in the roughnomythicalbeast is a jewel in the roughnomythicalbeast is a jewel in the roughnomythicalbeast is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
I hope we get a different end game. Both of my years in FRC have had climbing endgames (Steamworks and Stronghold) so something like the bridge balance (2012) or mini bots (2011) would be pretty cool.
I agree, but I would like it if it is something completely new. The main thing I want out of an endgame, though, is for it to not be able to completely decide a match outcome like climbing did this year (I don't know much about the other endgames).
  #116   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 09:40 AM
FRC #3340 (Magnegeeks)
Team Role: Leadership

PrimeHourglass is on a distinguished road
Post Re: 2018 Game Speculation

I was thinking like an Electrical Revolution themed game.

Reasoning
1. It fits the timeline: Stronghold(15th century) -> Steamworks(19th century/First Industrial Revolution) -> Electrical Revolution/The Second Industrial Revolution(late-19 to early-20th century)
2. One of the pics showed an Cup Anemometer and Neck-frills that resembles the Sun: Wind and Solar Energy

Conclusion:
Electrical Revolution or Clean Energy-themed

On wikipedia it states:

"There have been other times that have been called "second industrial revolution". Industrial revolutions may be renumbered by taking earlier developments, such as the rise of medieval technology in the 12th century"

This statement proves my timeline theory
  #117   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 03:45 PM
FRC #3340 (Magnegeeks)
Team Role: Leadership

PrimeHourglass is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeHourglass View Post
I was thinking like an Electrical Revolution themed game.

Reasoning
1. It fits the timeline: Stronghold(15th century) -> Steamworks(19th century/First Industrial Revolution) -> Electrical Revolution/The Second Industrial Revolution(late-19 to early-20th century)
2. One of the pics showed an Cup Anemometer and Neck-frills that resembles the Sun: Wind and Solar Energy

Conclusion:
Electrical Revolution or Clean Energy-themed

On wikipedia it states:

"There have been other times that have been called "second industrial revolution". Industrial revolutions may be renumbered by taking earlier developments, such as the rise of medieval technology in the 12th century"

This statement proves my timeline theory
Adding on to my previous theory; I believe 2018's game is 87% going to be electrical revolution.

In 2016 FIRST Championship, in the opening ceremony, the band who played were in STEAMPUNK Outfit
Link of Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1uk3as9Zd8

In 2017 STEAMWORKS was the game

In 2017 FIRST Championship, in the opening ceremony, the band are dress like mad scientist with static-y hair and lab coats
Link of Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAY2id2MEtc

It is too close to be a coincidence. Perhaps this is what FIRST meant by 'Change is Coming' when they release Stronghold? They are going to give a hint of next years' game through championship events? If this is true we can just make our outfit whatever theme ahead of times; before September!
  #118   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2017, 10:59 PM
AKA: Owen Dray
FRC #2067 (Apple Pi)
Team Role: CAD

OwenD is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to OwenD Send a message via MSN to OwenD Send a message via Yahoo to OwenD

Here is my prediction. First off, it will most likely be a primary shooting game. If we follow this pattern, then a primary shooting game makes sense. While it may seem strange to do three years in a row of shooting, very few teams had a shooter this year and even less shot, shooting was really not something most teams did. Regarding ball size, I think it will be slightly smaller than a stronghold ball, but bigger than a steamworks ball. My thinking is teams will be limited by size regarding how many balls they can hold, so no one will be able to hold more than like 15 at once. A ball game like this has not been done in while, so it makes sense.

In terms of actually scoring, I imagine direct shots, like stronghold, but also Shot rapidly, like large disks at different heights. (possibly that move?!)

Following the previously mentioned pattern, there will most likely be very little that does not involve manipulating a ball to shoot or score it in some manner. There could be some minor obstacles or other twists, but nothing you need to design a robot around. There will be minimal ways to score other than shooting, I have strong doubts there will be a second way to score that is significant like defenses in 2016.

For an end game I don't think it will be very major. I think FIRST probably wants to avoid games being controlled by tye end game like they were at the start this year. If there is one, climbing is very unlikely because we have had it the past two years. Mini bots may be possible, but personally I think they are saving that for space game 2019. This leaves some sort of balancing, or possibley something entirely new for an end game.

Lastly, I honestly have no idea what a theme could be. There is a lot of speculation around it, but in the end theme does not effect the game itself, so I am not going to speculate.

Whatever happens we are sure in for a interesting and fun season! (Unless it's another recycle rush)
  #119   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian25 View Post
We've been waiting for a water game since our team was founded. We're prepared.
My boyfriend got me hooked on the whole water game joke like 3 weeks into the season, but it does look like it could happen this year or next year
  #120   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranY View Post
Sometimes, I wonder if the Game Design committee actually comes to threads like this to gain inspiration for future games. One of these could be a 2019 game!

It could be possible but I think it is unlikely

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: