OCCRA
Go to Post #TeamFrank - Libby K [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2017, 08:22 PM
ArchdukeTim
FRC #1418 (Vae Victis)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
TimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Programming Language selection Pro's and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by lriddick View Post
what i need is speed, flexibility, and debugging capability.
All languages will give you the speed you need unless you're doing something really advanced, or more likely, something wrong.

Debugging is a hard thing to compare. Print statements are great, but C++ doesn't give stack traces by default so a bit harder that way. Both java and python do.
There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult.

2012 - Gracious Professionalism - Greater DC
2014 - Regional Finalist - Virginia | Industrial Design - Virginia | Regional Finalist - Greater DC
2015 - Innovation in Control - Greater DC
2016 - District Event Winner - VAHAY | Innovation in Control - VAHAY | District Event Winner - MDBET | Industrial Design - MDBET | District Champion - CHCMP | Innovation in Control - CHCMP
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheGreat View Post
Also, helping someone remotely is hard with labview. With text based languages you can type out some example code. You can't do that with labview.
That's not really true. Any pseudocode easy enough to type out is easy to wire up in LabVIEW.

Every year or two we see this thread started, and every one ends the same way. It's almost like political parties. Sheesh. (Not directed at you Tim, just at the general direction these threads always take).

Tim's last statement is truth. If you're looking for a competitive advantage in one language over another - there isn't.

Last edited by Tom Line : 05-15-2017 at 08:32 PM.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2017, 08:39 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
helping someone remotely is hard with labview. With text based languages you can type out some example code. You can't do that with labview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Line View Post
That's not really true. Any pseudocode easy enough to type out is easy to wire up in LabVIEW.
Tim clarified his point in a subsequent post, and he seems to have a valid point:

Quote:
But that means I have to have labview installed, open it up, and create the code.

With python I can just type out what I need to in a few seconds. I can do it from any computer, including one that doesn't have python installed.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2017, 09:08 AM
FRC #2468 (Team NI & Appreciate)

Rookie Year: 2008
Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute

I've been out of pocket and just catching up on this thread.

At almost every regional, I saw teams surprised by integration issues with coprocessors, in various languages. Can you please provide details that caused you to call this out with LV?

Greg McKaskle
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2017, 09:33 AM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKaskle View Post

At almost every regional, I saw teams surprised by integration issues with coprocessors, in various languages. Can you please provide details that caused you to call this out with LV?

Greg McKaskle
For those of you not using threaded display mode, Greg seems to be referring to this post.

#36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKaskle View Post

Greg McKaskle
So I'm not saying it is an issue because I know for a fact it isn't, having done it successfully for the past like 4 years BUT I suspect a lot of confusion comes from the fact that these embedded systems largely aren't targets for LV deployment.

A lot of LV teams seem to think that they can just use LV to program everything and that's not the case sadly. In general though, I feel like as more teams want external systems the number of examples for how to get teams to do that needs to increase. There isn't enough 1st party documentation for how to do it or at least it's not well known.

For what it's worth, I think ROS makes this A LOT less of a challenge compared to WPILib... not that those two are really comparable but I guess they kinda are?
Clarke's Laws
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-18-2017, 06:58 AM
FRC #2468 (Team NI & Appreciate)

Rookie Year: 2008
Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that documentation would go a long way. I was just wondering where the stumbles and/or bugs are.

Greg McKaskle
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

For C++ & Java, there are ways do address the shortcomings of each language when compared to the others. For example, great logging and a rock-solid build system can more than make up for C++'s lack of human-readable coding errors. It's enough to allow large groups of concurrent developers to program advanced science integrations for large systems like ships & planes. Proper object re-use, threading awareness, and JVM startup parameter tuning can lead to a Java program which is capable of low-footprint high frequency trading if it's left as raw Java (i.e. no JNI...).

At my prior job, I noticed one thing that C/C++ has, which Java does not, is a (paid) advanced programming API from Intel. This type of thing can also be a determining factor when choosing a language for something specific, like a mechatronic control framework I see some teams use.

If the desire is to get as close to real-time as possible in FRC, C++ is the eventual winner due to the Java wpilib JNI taking up a few dozen microseconds. Only the top 0.5% are concerned with it though, since understanding why it's important means a team needs to address the learning curve & time investment for the advanced control libraries in addition to the basics of programming.

With that said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaci View Post
C++
Commonly seen as the "most difficult" programming language, that is easy to "shoot yourself in the foot" with, C++ is really not as bad as many people talk it up to be. Sure, there's more to be aware of, you can't just hand out heap memory willy-nilly, but this is a caveat that comes with low-level programming. C++ will give you the best performance, efficiency, and teach some very important coding practices for those that want to go into mechatronics, embedded systems engineering, or other related fields.

Java
Java is the most used language in the FRC community. Part of this success is related to its common use in schools, and its apparent ease of development. Although Java hogs memory and CPU time, most teams don't require extra performance or efficiency.

LabVIEW
LabVIEW is commonly seen as the outcast of the 3 official languages, being a proprietary visual language from National Instruments. As with many things, the loudest opinions on LabVIEW come from those who have no idea how it works or what it does. There are some benefits to LabVIEW, so let's take a look.
This is easily the most-concise differentiation from an FRC perspective I've seen.

Drive Coach, 1885 (2007-present)
Latest Project: Codex-based FRC Comms in Java

2017: Scoring Model | COPR Rank Simulator
1885: YouTube Channel | CAD Library | GitHub
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-19-2017, 08:22 AM
Programmer
AKA: Sam Fuchs
FRC #0236 (TechnoTicks)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
SamcFuchs has much to be proud ofSamcFuchs has much to be proud ofSamcFuchs has much to be proud ofSamcFuchs has much to be proud ofSamcFuchs has much to be proud ofSamcFuchs has much to be proud ofSamcFuchs has much to be proud ofSamcFuchs has much to be proud of

Jaci's FRC programming boogaloo post was always my go-to for this question, but she has since taken it down. If anyone knows where we could find an archive of it, that would be great.

2015 - Programming, Electrical
2016 - Lead Programmer, Co-Driver
2017 - Lead Programmer, Co-Driver
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-19-2017, 10:49 PM
http://imjac.in/ta/name
AKA: Jaci R Brunning
FRC #5333 (Can't C#) #5663 (Ground Control) | (OpenRIO, FRC West Aus)

Rookie Year: 2015
Jaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamcFuchs View Post
Jaci's FRC programming boogaloo post was always my go-to for this question, but she has since taken it down. If anyone knows where we could find an archive of it, that would be great.
I've taken it down since there have been a lot of changes in the FRC software pipeline since I first wrote it. I'm planning to write another one at some point but I did reply to this post earlier with a summary more geared towards what OP was asking

Curtin FRC (5333+5663) : Mentor, Former [Captain | Programmer | Driver]
OpenRIO : Owner

Website | Twitter | Github
jaci.brunning@gmail.com
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2017, 12:00 PM
no team

DanChef is an unknown quantity at this point

In my opinion if I have another change to choose programming language I will go for C++, its fast, popular and you will find a job if you know C++. I have few friend and they said that it's easy to learn and Another thing is if you know one of the programming language you will learn other easily, but its up to you
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2017, 12:08 PM
ArchdukeTim
FRC #1418 (Vae Victis)

Rookie Year: 2011
TimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to beholdTimTheGreat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanChef View Post
In my opinion if I have another change to choose programming language I will go for C++, its fast, popular and you will find a job if you know C++. I have few friend and they said that it's easy to learn and Another thing is if you know one of the programming language you will learn other easily, but its up to you
In my opinion if I have another change to choose programming language I will go for Java/Python. They're fast, popular and you will find a job if you know Java/Python. I have few friend and they said that they're easy to learn and Another thing is if you know one of the programming language you will learn other easily, but its up to you

You could say this about lots of languages these days. There is a demand for every language if you know where to look.
There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies. The first method is far more difficult.

2012 - Gracious Professionalism - Greater DC
2014 - Regional Finalist - Virginia | Industrial Design - Virginia | Regional Finalist - Greater DC
2015 - Innovation in Control - Greater DC
2016 - District Event Winner - VAHAY | Innovation in Control - VAHAY | District Event Winner - MDBET | Industrial Design - MDBET | District Champion - CHCMP | Innovation in Control - CHCMP
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-28-2017, 10:15 PM
FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics) #254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
AustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
If the desire is to get as close to real-time as possible in FRC, C++ is the eventual winner due to the Java wpilib JNI taking up a few dozen microseconds. Only the top 0.5% are concerned with it though, since understanding why it's important means a team needs to address the learning curve & time investment for the advanced control libraries in addition to the basics of programming.
real-time isn't about speed. It's about consistency. I forget who told me the story, but someone was working on a huge RT system. They had a deadline of 2.5 minutes, but could *not* miss that timing. That's just as real-time as a 1 khz control loop.

The challenge with Java in a RT environment is that you can't strictly bound the amount of time that the garbage collector takes. Most of the time, it's fast enough that you won't notice. Sometimes, it'll take 5-10 milliseconds. That lack of determinism is what makes it challenging. LV and C++ don't have that challenge. Python and most other non-compiled languages do.

That all being said, unless you are pushing the limits on the control system, you likely won't notice and should prioritize other things.
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-29-2017, 12:23 AM
Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2012
AlexanderTheOK has much to be proud ofAlexanderTheOK has much to be proud ofAlexanderTheOK has much to be proud ofAlexanderTheOK has much to be proud ofAlexanderTheOK has much to be proud ofAlexanderTheOK has much to be proud ofAlexanderTheOK has much to be proud ofAlexanderTheOK has much to be proud ofAlexanderTheOK has much to be proud ofAlexanderTheOK has much to be proud of

Quote:
In my opinion if I have another change to choose programming language I will go for Java/Python. They're fast, popular and you will find a job if you know Java/Python. I have few friend and they said that they're easy to learn and Another thing is if you know one of the programming language you will learn other easily, but its up to you

You could say this about lots of languages these days. There is a demand for every language if you know where to look.
Perhaps my field is just a bit narrower, but I'm not seeing as much java any more in the data science community at least. Everything seems to be moving to a c/c++ Python workflow, with room for some more niche stuff like scala and Julia depending on what you're working on.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2017, 02:45 PM
RobotPy Guy
AKA: Dustin Spicuzza
FRC #1418 (), FRC #1973, FRC #4796, FRC #6367 ()

Rookie Year: 2003
virtuald has a brilliant futurevirtuald has a brilliant futurevirtuald has a brilliant futurevirtuald has a brilliant futurevirtuald has a brilliant futurevirtuald has a brilliant futurevirtuald has a brilliant futurevirtuald has a brilliant futurevirtuald has a brilliant futurevirtuald has a brilliant futurevirtuald has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderTheOK View Post
Perhaps my field is just a bit narrower, but I'm not seeing as much java any more in the data science community at least. Everything seems to be moving to a c/c++ Python workflow, with room for some more niche stuff like scala and Julia depending on what you're working on.
"big" data stuff seems to almost entirely be done with Java/scala (hadoop, spark, etc).

2017 Season: Teams #1973, #4796, #6367
Team #1418 (remote mentor): Newton Quarterfinalists, 2016 Chesapeake District Champion, 2x Innovation in Control award, 2x district event winner
Team #1418: 2015 DC Regional Innovation In Control Award, #2 seed; 2014 VA Industrial Design Award; 2014 Finalists in DC & VA
Team #2423: 2012 & 2013 Boston Regional Innovation in Control Award

Resources: FIRSTWiki (relaunched!) | My Software Stuff

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: