Go to Post What is this, presto change-o rules every week? - Racer26 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy > Scouting
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2018, 08:43 AM
FRC #4103 (Roborioles)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2016
cassirole4103 is a splendid one to beholdcassirole4103 is a splendid one to beholdcassirole4103 is a splendid one to beholdcassirole4103 is a splendid one to beholdcassirole4103 is a splendid one to beholdcassirole4103 is a splendid one to behold
Keeping people motivated?

I know there is another thread about this, but for 4103 we are using pencil/paper and, for our week 2 comp., will have people doing looooong shifts on scouting. Because we're going to be a couple hours away, we are taking a select few returning members for scouting, so these people have gone through it with me before. I was wondering how people keep their scouters motivated and hyped? Last year, I didn't have anything planned and felt like people lost focus towards the end of their one hour shift. I want to make scouting a bit less boring, but can't think of anything. Any ideas would help!!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
Scout mentor
FRC #4481

Rookie Year: 2012
Noudvanbrunscho is a name known to allNoudvanbrunscho is a name known to allNoudvanbrunscho is a name known to allNoudvanbrunscho is a name known to allNoudvanbrunscho is a name known to allNoudvanbrunscho is a name known to all
Re: Keeping people motivated?

https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...g+motivat ion

Maybe this thread will help you?
2017 - Regional Winners (Orlando)
2017 - Quality Award sponsored by Motorola Solutions Foundation (Orlando)
2017 - Industrial Design Award sponsored by General Motors (South Florida)

2016 - Imagery Award in honor of Jack Kamen (New York Tech Valley)
2016 - Creativity Award sponsored by Xerox (New York City)

2015 - Team Spirit Award (Tesla-Archimedes Division)
2015 - Engineering Inspiration (Virginia)
2015 - Finalist (Virginia)

2014 - Imagery Award (Newton Division)
2014 - Engineering Inspiration (North-Carolina)

2013 - Rookie All-Star (North-Carolina)

Forty fooouuuuurrrr --- Eighty ooooooonnnnneeee!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #0876 (Thunder Robotics, #all27everything, Team FUN)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond reputeSkyehawk has a reputation beyond repute

An average, consistent robot and spectacular scouting wins regionals. That should be motivation enough in itself.

One thing you can try is to partner with another team, not to share scouting, but just to sit with another group of friends they don't usually see. For example 876 is great friends with 2512. We usually have a meal with them on Thursday night when we attend the same event & play laser tag Sat. night if we are in Duluth. Everyone looks forward to catching up, they aren't worried about being board with scouting & instead are looking forward to team interactions.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:44 PM
AKA: matthew soderstrom
FRC #0203 (SOUPer BOTS)
Team Role: Programmer

mattsodes1031 is a name known to allmattsodes1031 is a name known to allmattsodes1031 is a name known to allmattsodes1031 is a name known to allmattsodes1031 is a name known to allmattsodes1031 is a name known to all

i was just at a week two comp where i scouted 3 ,2 hour shifts, and i find that there are two main factors that affect peoples ability to scout. the most important factor (for my team at least) is to have the scouting team like each other, you cant just have 6 random people scout because they will get bored. When you watch competitions for however many hours, you need someone to talk to so you don't get bored. The other thing i find pivotal is the ability of the scouts. WHen you scout, yo do that for reliable data. You shouldn't pick people to put on the scouting team based solely on the fact that they don't have anything else to to , you want to make the the people you put on that group are compadant. So thats my two cents on how to make scouting less of a chore, and more of a actual subdivision
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2018, 12:58 PM
AKA: Josh P.
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
BigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few things we do:

1. We show the team that their scouting efforts have direct impacts on the team's success

2. We try to schedule people on scouting shifts with someone they are close to on the team so they have someone to talk to between matches

3. We try to limit shifts to 90 min max.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2018, 04:25 PM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

We make a game out of it (with incentive!). Our scouting software has a game built in where scouters guess the scores of the match they're about to watch. Most accurate people get an Amazon gift card. It provides incentive to actually remember who is good and to pay attention.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2018, 06:01 PM
I only ride segways.
AKA: Callie Pilkington
FRC #5498 (Wired Devils)
Team Role: Leadership

SpookyWire is a jewel in the roughSpookyWire is a jewel in the roughSpookyWire is a jewel in the roughSpookyWire is a jewel in the rough

We usually don't have our scouts do long shifts. Competitions are fun, so no one wants to spend a huge chunk of time watching robots run around. We usually pair our scouts up with some of their friends and we only give them about 4-5 round shifts. We've got two (maybe three this year) cycles of scouts as well, 6 people per round. As a bonus we try to pick people who find genuine interest in watching the matches. It's way easier to keep them interested if they find it interesting in the first place!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2018, 06:58 PM
AKA: Brick
FRC #1507 (Warlocks)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2013
brickleberry is a glorious beacon of lightbrickleberry is a glorious beacon of lightbrickleberry is a glorious beacon of lightbrickleberry is a glorious beacon of lightbrickleberry is a glorious beacon of light

On 1507 we try to really drive home the point that scouting is the difference between winning and losing an event. In doing this we've been able to create a really positive and encouraging culture around scouting. We usually have several shifts of 6 scouts each for 10 or so matches at a time to keep them from getting too bored.

https://youtu.be/sJOfH-lomEQ
Karthik makes some good suggestions in this video (timestamps for different topics are in the description, scouting starts at 38:52)

Scouting can be one of the toughest things to motivate students to do, especially those who were really excited about the prospect of being on the pit crew or drive team. We try our best to make sure everyone on the team realizes the importance of scouting, and views it with the same importance as driving or being on the pit crew.

Hope this helps!

2018 FLR Champs with 340 and 3550
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2018, 07:02 PM
AKA: Owen Dray
FRC #2067 (Apple Pi)
Team Role: CAD

OwenD will become famous soon enoughOwenD will become famous soon enough

I definitely agree with what has been said above. In addition, when kids understand the value of quantitative scouting I have seen they are more likely to be motivated. Also, involving kids in the pick list/general strategy process often makes them more motivated to scout.

Lastly, I know this doesn't help you this year, but we (2067) switched from a pen and paper system to a tablet system this year and kids have actually refused to give up the tablets because they want to keep scouting, so that may help you for next year if you have the resources.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Strategy/Rules/Scouting/Volunteer
AKA: Tom Byrne
FRC #5137 (Iron Kodiaks)

Rookie Year: 2014
Boltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant futureBoltman has a brilliant future

We usually don't need that many scouts. When I am not volunteering I am the Scouting Mentor at games , we always fully scout the regionals.

The way we keep scouts motivated:

First off scouting is a third of a whole championship run, the team buys into this.

Driver---Engineering/Coding----Scouting

Any of those legs fail you sit after your events. (Unless you get in somehow else), we can trace which leg(s) failed each season

So we always have one or two Lead Scouts and since we go to two competitions they both each get to select the bots for our elimination alliance (we go in with a captain mentality regardless of our rank) If we carry two leads each will be our team representative in at least one event... its a very important role for us. Their job is to find the top 28 bots for use to win the event with. Critically important. They then recruit regular scouts some do it all others fill in for some games.

Key bots: Those that are on the same arcade as us, potential captains, unique ones that help (defense etc)

One way we keep them engaged is by only watching key bots with the other regular scouts... they each have one bot per game to take metrics and notes on, the lead scouts are more birdseye or fill in as a regular scout if needed as people need a break. The lead scouts look for performers and also are the ones that we would want to partner with based on how they scouted our own team. Qualitative scouting verified by the BA stats to find 1 or 2 stat outliers we watch day 2.

Never had a problem with motivation, the entire team know the importance of scouting and its an ongoing thing...pre scout we watch games ahead of time, look up past histories (In horseracing that called "class" past performance indicates future results)

We watch list our competitors in all their matches until we play with them very same watchlist for our partners . Initial 28 end of day 1 lead scout lists for day 2 we add any other potential captains learn to win with and beat them...the rest can't help us get there because they are 29 or below on our final list.

The students learn a valuable lessson about key performance metrics and scoping a problem correctly. The drive team drive coach has a book of all the teams we scout about 2/3 the field after 88 games. 100% of the time scouts are watching. The drive team always knows all the details of who they are playing 100% of the time by their second match of the event.

I guess the way we do it is simple... they want to do it and know its important as they see the effects in games. We always get some of the best seats too. In SD we used four scouts including me primarily with three or four rotating ones hat helped here and there as they were not needed elsewhere. They get great seats and can enjoy the games. I get there hours before to grab them.

The rest of the team knows how hard the scouts work and always appreciates them. We inform them of our chances to get picked or be picking.

Teams will fib , we know what they can do that helps to cut through the wishful thinking and devise a real strategy to win each game if our alliance performs it we win. The drive coach always has an in person chat and a notbook with the scouts in the stands then goes to talk to teams.

I would advise for motivation elevate the importance of the position and select a LEAD SCOUT every event and have them represent your team with their top 28 pick list when selections come. Have them recruit others. For regular scouts ease their workload one key bot per game. Get the drive team to appreciate the scouts and their extensive knowlege of who is on the field with them. The other 1/3 of bots never on our radar as a helper or potential captain but we probably still observed them with some small notes of any performance just in case after 88 games.

Find students that want to learn. They are out there.
Scouting should be fun to some it is.

Iron Kodiaks Team #5137 San Marcos, CA
2018 Orange County Elimination Alliance (5477.5209) QF
2017 Ventura Captain 3 (8, 3882) QF
2016 Central Valley Captain 2 (973, 2135) SF
2015 Ventura Elimination Alliances (696, 1836) SF
2014 San Diego Rookie All-Star Galileo Division
San Diego (Home regional/practice days) : Not chosen '18 Elimination Alliances:'17 (399, 968) SF ,'16 (1159, 812) SF , '15 (3021, 1772) QF

Volunteer @ Orange County 2016, 2017, 2018 Ventura 2018

Last edited by Boltman : 03-12-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: