OCCRA
Go to Post there should be a continuous cascade of knowledge spilling over to the less experienced team members and and continuous upward flow of members gaining experience. - ebarker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 12:57 PM
AKA: Nick Schatz
no team ('Snow Problem, 3184 Alum)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
nickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond reputenickbrickmaster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Greater Kansas City and Heartland Regionals 2018

I want to echo most of the rest of this thread and congratulate 1710 and 1730 on their RCA and EI wins. Our outreach team was super impressed talking to both of you, obviously well deserved awards.

A big thanks to our alliance partners 1108 and 4499. We couldn't have asked for better partners during a crazy playoffs run.

Overall this was a fantastic event. Great venue, always on time, super nice volunteers. It's a bit of a jog, but the KC regionals will likely stay on our event shortlist.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 01:54 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Travis
FRC #2723 (Team Rocket)

Rookie Year: 2011
BSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud of

How many more years will these events exist as regionals? Is MO/KS going to districts, soon?
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 04:59 PM
AKA: Xavier Kriege; Scouting Captain and Tactician
FRC #1775 (Tigerbytes)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2013
Tesla XK is an unknown quantity at this point

The main difference between the two regionals will be time. My mom, who works for KC STEM told me that the field was never taken down and most issues from Heartland have been resolved. I expect GKC to be more streamlined than Heartland, but with different teams could be nothing like each other.
One big thing I have is why not set it up like FLL in Kansas City is: 2 qualifiers (in FRC would be regionals) and 1 big regional (mini-championship) of the best from the qualifiers. Either that or orchestrate a KC mini competition between the winning alliance of each regional.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 05:12 PM
AKA: Colin Sherman
FRC #1710 (The Ravonics Revolution)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
Csherm is just really niceCsherm is just really niceCsherm is just really niceCsherm is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla XK View Post
The main difference between the two regionals will be time. My mom, who works for KC STEM told me that the field was never taken down and most issues from Heartland have been resolved. I expect GKC to be more streamlined than Heartland, but with different teams could be nothing like each other.
One big thing I have is why not set it up like FLL in Kansas City is: 2 qualifiers (in FRC would be regionals) and 1 big regional (mini-championship) of the best from the qualifiers. Either that or orchestrate a KC mini competition between the winning alliance of each regional.
What you are essentially describing is the district model. The split regional is partially meant to start moving our region in that direction. Hopefully, they will make the full change in a year or two. However, if someone wants to host the two winning alliances in an exhibition match after this season that would be awesome. I can't speak for the other teams from the, all Kansas, Heartland alliance but I know my team would love to attend that.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2018, 06:54 PM
Will MC/GA for food
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla XK View Post
Can't answer officially, but that'd require the events to be run concurrently (space issue), having teams attend a third event in KC (unlikely for teams to buy into), or having the ultimate match in the offseason (at which point you'd need to find a venue and a field).
  • Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together - nothing works and nobody knows why.
MMR 2410 Student (2010 - 2013) | MMR 2410 Mentor (2013 - Present)
FTC Game Announcer / MC (2014 - Present) | FTC Referee (2017-Present)
FRC MC (2015 - Present) | FRC Referee (2016-17) | FRC A/V (2017) | FRC Robot Inspector (2018)
VEX MC (2017-Present)
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Reader of Things
AKA: Victoria
FRC #1939 (Kuhnigits)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
vhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTran View Post
Can't answer officially, but that'd require the events to be run concurrently (space issue), having teams attend a third event in KC (unlikely for teams to buy into), or having the ultimate match in the offseason (at which point you'd need to find a venue and a field).
Also, since a number of teams will attend both events, there was a very real possibility (until the first one was played) that the same team might have been on both winning alliances, which makes playing a head to head match logistically challenging.

#37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2018, 11:32 AM
Mentor | Drive Coach
AKA: Sarah Soriano
FRC #1810 (Jaguar Robotics)

221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future221Sarahborg has a brilliant future

A big thanks to all of the great teams we were able to compete at the Heartland Regional! It was weird to see only a small amount of local teams, but getting to see some new faces and having some breathing room in the pits was definitely nice.

Like everyone else, I want to congratulate 4522, 1710, and 1982 on a great set of Finals! You guys were great opponents, and I'm glad that we'll be able to join you in Houston. A huge thanks to 1730 and 1806 for being awesome alliance partners, it was an honor to work with you guys. This year is huge for 1810, since this was the farthest our team has gotten in Playoffs in a long time and I'm glad we got to do it with some great partners. It was awesome to strategize, compete, and celebrate with you guys. 1730, 1806, and even the first backup team 2353 all checked in on us to make sure we were okay when we had technical difficulties after our first finals match which we for sure appreciate.

Congrats to all other winners as well, your work does not go unnoticed! I loved seeing the large variety of robots this last weekend, and I can't wait to be able to visit the one this weekend and see everyone else!

Jaguar Robotics & KU School of Design
2016-Current Mentor 2015-2016 Team Captain 2014-2016 Drive Team 2014-2016 Electrical Captain 2013-2014 Safety Captain
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2018, 12:12 PM
Master of Tactics
AKA: Scott Hasek
FRC #1987

New Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to beholdNew Lightning is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSV View Post
How many more years will these events exist as regionals? Is MO/KS going to districts, soon?
I will preface this by saying that all of this is unofficial to the best of my knowledge, but this is what I know from people who are involved in the decision making process.

As far as I know there will actually be three smaller regionals next year in KC. Due to the fact that we are losing the MCC Business and Technology Center as a venue for next year. The locations of these smaller regionals is still TBD as far as I know.

As for districts, this process has been in the works for some time now however there have been some issues. One issue has been venue selections about how many events we would need to have and where would these events be located.

Again most of this information is second hand and so I can't say with certainty that these are the only issues with a move toward districts or that these have not been solved already and I just don't know about it.

#39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2018, 10:48 PM
Lead Mentor
AKA: Travis
FRC #2723 (Team Rocket)

Rookie Year: 2011
BSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud ofBSV has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Lightning View Post
As far as I know there will actually be three smaller regionals next year in KC. Due to the fact that we are losing the MCC Business and Technology Center as a venue for next year. The locations of these smaller regionals is still TBD as far as I know.
Thanks for the information. Since Texas is going to districts we can't play there any more and so are getting concerned that if MO/KS goes to districts there will be not be many options left outside of OKC (which seems to be on Easter every other year and we can't attend despite being the closest team to the venue). I am pretty sure we will be either in Kansas City or Little Rock next year.

Personally, I'd be all for an Oklahoma/Arkansas district, or a MO/KS/OK/AR Mid-America district.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2018, 11:25 PM
AKA: Michael Hartwig
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)

Rookie Year: 2008
Jaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant futureJaxom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Personally, I'd be all for an Oklahoma/Arkansas district, or a MO/KS/OK/AR Mid-America district.
I'll vote for a 4-state district. But I suspect that'll have to wait for super-regions (or super districts, or whatever they're going to be called when or if we eventually get there. )

RI 2010-present, LRI 2018 GKC

Mentor 2008-present http://www.teamtitanium.org/
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2018, 10:22 AM
I like team t-shirts!
AKA: Evan Schimmel
FRC #2410 (Metal Mustang Robotics)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2017
EvanRS1023 is a glorious beacon of lightEvanRS1023 is a glorious beacon of lightEvanRS1023 is a glorious beacon of lightEvanRS1023 is a glorious beacon of lightEvanRS1023 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Lightning View Post
I will preface this by saying that all of this is unofficial to the best of my knowledge, but this is what I know from people who are involved in the decision making process.

As for districts, this process has been in the works for some time now however there have been some issues. One issue has been venue selections about how many events we would need to have and where would these events be located.

Again most of this information is second hand and so I can't say with certainty that these are the only issues with a move toward districts or that these have not been solved already and I just don't know about it.
From what I've heard from KC FIRST unofficially, this all sounds correct. MCC will not be a venue and this may force them to go to three regionals, but that's really stretching teams thin, both financially and students missing many days of school in a few weeks time.

#42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2018, 09:52 AM
FRC #6886 (Synthesizers)
Team Role: Coach

BCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud ofBCR-Jim has much to be proud of

Team 6886 wants to congratulate 1986, 1723, & 5098 on their winning alliance. Our team learned a lot by watching these experienced, well-run teams manage their robots and resources throughout the competition. Pitting next to 1723 and 935 on back to back weekends allowed our team to see and experience how to keep things together and organized throughout an entire event.

We also want to congratulate 3284 on your chairman's award. Your team is in an inspiration on how to build a program from the FLL kids all the way to FRC.

We also want to say thank you to all of the volunteers and judges. The hard work they put in on back to back weekends did not go unnoticed. Having the CSA's and inspectors work with us on troubleshooting and reinspecting with our multiple changes over the course of the weekend was great.

Lastly, we want to thank our alliance partners 2352 and 5126. It was great working with both of you. 2352 stepping up and trying to keep our alliance strategy on track, and having your mechanical team help completely rebuild our elevator lift between selections and our 1st quarterfinal was really appreciated.
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2018, 02:40 AM
Regional MC/GA Championship Lead Q
AKA: Ben James
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
MC_Stitch is a splendid one to beholdMC_Stitch is a splendid one to beholdMC_Stitch is a splendid one to beholdMC_Stitch is a splendid one to beholdMC_Stitch is a splendid one to beholdMC_Stitch is a splendid one to beholdMC_Stitch is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Unofficially, the original plan was to go Districts this year (after Champs left St. Louis). As I understand, the hold up is that there are teams on the STL side of the state that come from Southern Illinois, Kentucky, and Arkansas. Many of whom, call the STL Regional their home event.

So, the challenge sitting on the table, is what do you do? Do you add IL with MO and KS to make a bigger district? But if you do that, how do you convince the Chicago and Central Illinois (Peoria) folks to give up their regionals?

Then you have to rotate where you hold the District Champs (Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City). So, you would be telling Chicago they only get a championship every 3 years. Chicago natives will flip at that news.

The complication comes from FIRST (IIRC) mandating districts to include whole states. Otherwise, I could easily see southern IL, MO, and KS becoming Mid-America or Heartland District. Then Northern IL, IA, and Wisconsin becoming the Midwest District.

Championship

St. Louis Regional

Midwest Regional
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2018, 05:03 AM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC_Stitch View Post
The complication comes from FIRST (IIRC) mandating districts to include whole states. Otherwise, I could easily see southern IL, MO, and KS becoming Mid-America or Heartland District. Then Northern IL, IA, and Wisconsin becoming the Midwest District.
I believe FIRST also wants to avoid making multi-state districts as well, further complicating things. Implementing districts in the Midwest is going to be a mess if the restrictions can't be lifted. So many teams cross areas that you'd either have to make a huge district consisting of several states or wait for certain areas to get an unrealistic number of teams so they can have enough to play with each other in their own state. (For example, Iowa has likely topped out on teams now that the state grant program for FRC is over and all the populated areas have teams representing them)
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Ardent Supporter
AKA: Mr. Aaron Bailey
FRC #1986 (Team TITANium)

Rookie Year: 2007
Alpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha Beta has a reputation beyond repute

On behalf of Team Titanium, FRC 1986, I wanted to thank the regional planning committee and volunteers for putting together a terrific event. Having two smaller regionals in KC has allowed teams more opportunities to play, more matches per event, more teams experiencing elimination play and opened up a no travel option for many teams to transition from a science fair mentality to a sport like season. I know this change came with a greater sacrifice of time for many, and I thank you for making that sacrifice.

FBI, FRC 1723, was the real deal. One of the best robots at Heartland, and even better at KC. Our scouts salivated over the chance to pick you guys, and our drive team fought their tails off to be #1 to avoid getting split up. Robust, quick, and impressive decision making on the sticks. Thank you for accepting our invitation. You made it an easy choice for us.

In 5098 we found the potential to fill the exchange along with a clean electrical system that would be easy to trouble shoot if the need arose. Thrilled to find such quality still available this late in the draft

We have great respect for each of our opponents. #8 had 2 of the best switch/exchange bots in the field. Along with a strong all around captain they had a real threat to execute some cube starvation strategies. The #4 alliance featured a very flexible 932 who we had already lost to twice that morning. And in the finals... letís just say we were happy during alliance selection to see 5801 and 3824 on the other side of the bracket. A great field of competitors that kept us on the edge of our seats each match.

Wanted to publically acknowledge Nancy Spatzís WFFA. She is the heart of our team, and a real key to all of our successes. Kids love working with her. She models how to give back to the FIRST community both for and beyond our team and itís been awesome to see our students and alumni follow that example in giving back too. Congrats Nancy.

Weíve got one more chance to tune things up at Seven Rivers before heading down to Houston. At times we took the safer, more consistent route this weekend. Looking forward to taking the gloves off.
Dean's List Finalists: 2018(Justice W), 2016(Jacob S), 2014(Cameron L), 2013(Jay U), 2012(Laura S), 2011(Dominic A), 2010(Collin R)
Woodie Flowers Finalist 2018 (Nancy Spatz), 2013 (Aaron Bailey)
Championships: Einstein Finalist (2017), Sub-Division Champion (2017, 2016), Finalist (2013, 2010), Semifinalist (2014), Quaterfinalist (2018, 2015, 2012, 2011)
Other Official Awards: Gracious Professionalism (2013) Entrepreneurship (2017, 2013), Quality (2017, 2015, 2015, 2013), Engineering Excellence (Champs 2013, 2012), Website (2011), Industrial Design (Curie/Darwin 2017, Archimedes/Tesla 2016, 2016, 2015, Newton 2014, 2013, 2011), Innovation in Control (2018, 2014, Champs 2010, 2010, 2008, 2008), Imagery (2009), Safety(2017), Regional Finalist (2017, 2016, 2015, 2008)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: