Go to Post I think its great that some teams are 100% student built; but I would also hope that 100% of their students are mentor advised. - =Martin=Taylor= [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2002, 08:45 PM
College? What?
no team (Gompei and the Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ian W.
RPU

After a nice rookie year (well, it's not over yet ), i've noticed a few things about FIRST, and my job (on the team). I'm a programmer, and i've noticed that programmers seem to get the least respect. Sure, the guy who can go and build the robot is amazing, but the person who made all the little parts inside work, well, who cares about him? All you programmers know what i'm talking about. So, i've decided to do something about it. That's where RPU comes in.

Robotics Programms' Union. Yes, that's right, the programmers will rise up and become noticed! Fellow programmers, unite! We must show the rest of FIRST that we are important! We must demand respect! We need to get recognized! Plus, Dan already made us a nice logo, so you'll make him cry if you don't join .

Speaking about the logo...

See, now you have to join! Otherwise, you'll be forced back into the programming cave, fed fish heads, and only let out to upload the new program, tell the drivers the controls, then beforced back in. It must stop now! Join RPU!!

Wow, i really need to get out more . Also, this is posted in the Chit Chat section to raise more awareness about RPU, cause i don't think everyone frequents the Programming Forum.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2002, 08:49 PM
Crusty Mentor
FRC #0097
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
DanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to DanL
Yes, Comrades - join The Cause today! Fight the oppression! We MUST either band as one, or we die as one!

-Proud RPU Member

Last edited by DanL : 04-17-2002 at 08:52 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2002, 09:05 PM
Freelance Goon
FRC #0293 (SPIKE Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Ameya is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ameya Send a message via AIM to Ameya
Coders of the world unite! We have nothing to lose but our chains!

--R.P.U. Member number 00000011 (0x03)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 10:15 AM
AKA: Angela (Hall) Leese
FRC #3455 (Carpe Robotum)

Rookie Year: 1998
A. Leese has a spectacular aura aboutA. Leese has a spectacular aura about
*sits in the corner and laughs*

BTW..i do HTML programming..do I count? prob not..I've been told by several hackers that HTML "programmers" are the "scum of the earth.." Eh, oh well..you all are psycho.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 11:48 AM
Now at sub 14's in a 5000lb vehicle
AKA: Maher Attallah
FRC #0005 (Robocards)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Matt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Attallah Send a message via MSN to Matt Attallah Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Attallah
Hey, I like the ideas! I am printing them out w/ my Nvidia poster! W00T!! Man, we are such dorks, but we are the cool-dork species!!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 01:34 PM
College? What?

Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
Yay! We have new members! I think Dan made some RPU Button logos, but we just used up all of our buttons (we were making buttons for our team). If anyone wants the logo, i think we can print them out, and give them out. You need to supply your own buttons and button makers though.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 02:48 PM
boiler up!
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)
Team Role: Engineer

Greg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg McCoy
I didn't realize that we were that oppresed

By the way, HTML in itself isn't really programming, but if you use Java/Javascript/Perl/PHP or whatever else, I would guess that you qualify as a programmer. Sort of
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 03:29 PM
Robogeek
no team

Gui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Gui Cavalcanti
::raises hand::

Dude, what happened to the CODEX?

Maybe a joint venture between the RPU and the CODEX, to make a resource for all the FIRST programmers out there? A place to get ideas from, a place to find a shoulder to cry on... hehe, jk.

You know all the programmers on 422 will glady join. If you could, print out the logo on sticker paper, so we can all just paste them to our shirts at Nats or some such. That'd be easier than bringing along button makers, and I'd try to convince my team that our robot needs to wear the RPU logo... We'll be needing at least 4 stickers

All-Purpose College Mentor with a Mechanical Specialty

Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Class of 2008
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 04:30 PM
College? What?

Hmm, sticker paper you say.

Dan-
Where can we get sticker paper here?

Also, maybe we can make a joint RPU/CODEX logo. Does CODEX even have a logo yet? It's an idea, and we can get lots of stickers, and hand them out to all the programmers. then, when they're not respected, they just show off the RPU?CODEX sticker, and then the team will step back in fear . Power to the Programmers!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 04:50 PM
Robogeek
no team

Gui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to allGui Cavalcanti is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Gui Cavalcanti
CODEX logo

Here it is... the CODEX logo. This has been the official one for a year, but I personally think it could use some spiffing up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	logo.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	436  

All-Purpose College Mentor with a Mechanical Specialty

Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Class of 2008
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 04:52 PM
'The' drive behind the drive
None #0226 (TEC CReW Hammerheads)

Rookie Year: 1999
Matt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

I hope you aren't all going to start a programming slow down.

LOL!!!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 05:16 PM
College? What?

programming slow down or show down?

gui-
i'll be seeing dan tonight (in about 30 minutes actually) so i'll tell him to go and look at the logo for CODEX. if he feels like it, i'll ask him to make a CODEX/RPU logo. not sure if he has the time, but i'm guessing he will have some time this weekend. hmm, a cross between the CODEX and RPU logo would look pretty cool. i'll have to find dan now.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 06:19 PM
Crusty Mentor
FRC #0097

DanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to DanL
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg McCoy
I didn't realize that we were that oppresed
To quote the Grail,
We're living in a dictatorship! A self-perpetuating autocracy in which us, the working class - yes, it's all about class - are constantly the butt of everyone's anger! We take the blame for anything that goes wrong! We are the ones being repressed! For example, littlefish180's comments... come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, we're being repressed!!

As for the buttons, click here to download the RPU button templates from my home-brewn webserver (psd format, 12 buttons from one 8.5x11). They're in approximately 2.25 inch form. We would make some for everyone, but we ran out of blanks to work on. I'm managed to... er... 'set aside' 5 blanks for the Glory of Cause, but 5 buttons aren't enough to encompass everyone that shall become a member of the Cause. We must band together and each contribute to the Cause!

As for the CODEX logo, I can't do anything tonight, but I'll work on something over the weekend.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 08:49 PM
#0122 (Nasa Knights)

srawls is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to srawls
Smile

I proudly rise up and support my fellow programmers. Why, the engineers job is relatively easy to understand, any monkey could do it. But we programmers, we're the sorcerers, we're not understood, but we have unbelievable power. I say we unite, and in one big voice say "It's a mechanical problem!"

Stephen, proud prospective member of the RPU

Programmers of the world UNITE!!!!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2002, 09:37 PM
boiler up!
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Greg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McCoy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg McCoy
I don't know about that...matching gear ratios, building transmissions, and stuff like that seems hard to me. Programming is pretty easy: The computer does exactly what you tell it to.

My $0.03
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: