Go to Post I used to wonder if the FRC staff would read the CD game hint posts and just laugh to themselves..now I know they do. - rachelholladay [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 07:56 AM
FRC #2848 (All Sparks)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1997
Steve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond repute
You Cannot Graciously Accept

Hi All,
Hey I notice a lot of teams out there accept their invitation to an alliance by saying "Team xxxx Graciously accepts your invitation" (xxxx = your team number smartie!) This is a contradiction of terms. Gracious is one of those adjectives you cannot apply to yourself. Others have to apply it to you. Calling your own action gracious is a form of self praise, being a bit presumptuous and lacking the humility that goes along with tact and courtesy. So you can never really self apply the word "Gracious". It's like saying "We silently accept".
Yes I KNOW what you mean and I agree that the spirit and understanding among FIRSTies (Is that a word?) is that the acceptance is in the spirit of gracious professionalism. SO why am I bothering if we all understand?
OK Here's the deal. It's bad English. Your English teachers might start dumping essays on FIRST team members over the regional weekends if they hear you misuse "Gracious".
Just kidding, they'd never do that.
The bigger reason is simple. The media usually show up at the finals hoping for a story. If they could accurately predict the timing they would show up for the last round of the last match...(Sorry kids, good news don't sell newspapers and FIRST is always good news!) But I have seen them there for the alliance picks. These are men and women who have been savaged by unscrupulous modifiers of otherwise perfect text, AKA Editors. They will pick up immediately that you are misusing "Gracious" and if they are really mean will quote you so that the Editor can't correct it and well... your school will come across as one that teaches robotic but whose students ain't got no sense of good grammar.
It's far safer to "...Happily accept your gracious invitation..." or "...Gratefully accept your invitation..." something that doesn't sacrifice proper wording and yet still shows the spirit of FIRST.
Having said all this, if someone can demonstrate that "Gracious" actually CAN correctly be used as a self description, then I will "Graciously stand corrected."

JUST A THOUGHT!

Best wishes

Steve Alaniz
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:00 AM
One T
AKA: Mat
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute65_Xero_Huskie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You Cannot Graciously Accept

uhm...wow?

When the person says this they are showing that their TEAM is accepting the offer graciously. not them, they are a representative so it makes it alright to say that. Its the same as saying "Team xxxx accepts your iinvitation with great honor".
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
O-H
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

This topic has been covered before. Go here for all the fun....

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ciously+accept

Travis Hoffman, Enginerd, FRC Team 48 Delphi E.L.I.T.E.
Encouraging Learning in Technology and Engineering - www.delphielite.com
2017 Miami Valley Regional Champions w/ 2451 & 4085
2017 Smoky Mountains Regional Champions w/ 744 & 3140
NEOFRA - Northeast Ohio FIRST Robotics Alliance - www.neofra.com

Last edited by Travis Hoffman : 03-21-2007 at 08:08 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Always a MidKnight Inventor.
AKA: Libby Kamen Drost
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a personal fan of "Team XXXX accepts Team XXXX's gracious offer."

or ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
Instead of "Team XXXX graciously accepts" how about just a big "yeaaaahhhhh!" ?
2010-Present: Proud Alumni, Mentor & Drive Coach.
2015 Woodie Flowers Finalist Award.
2017-Present: Robotics Advisor, West Windsor-Plainsboro Regional School District

-
229: Division By Zero / 4124: Integration by Parts
2010-2013: Clarkson University Mentor for FLL, FTC & FRC

-
questions? comments? concerns? | twitter: @libbyk | libby.kamen@wwprsd.org
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:07 AM
FRC #0141
Team Role: Parent

Rookie Year: 2004
ALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to all

"In the spirit of Gracious Professionalism, Team XXXX accepts your invitation."
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

"Thanks for thinking of us, it would be WICKED AWESOME to join you guys."
-paraphrased from 166.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM
FRC #2848 (All Sparks)

Steve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_Alaniz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65_Xero_Huskie View Post
uhm...wow?

When the person says this they are showing that their TEAM is accepting the offer graciously. not them, they are a representative so it makes it alright to say that. Its the same as saying "Team xxxx accepts your iinvitation with great honor".
No... if you are part of the team, calling your team gracious is the same as calling yourself gracious. As you said, you ARE the entire team's representative.
Accepting "with great honor" is also bad English because the meaning is ambiguous (Who's being honored? and who's honoring them? and who's on FIRST! (sorry...))"... you are "Honored to accept..." I'm not saying people don't say it the way you propose... but it's incorrect.
So I stand by my comment for the moment... but ever ready to accept correction.

Steve Alaniz
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:15 AM
AKA: Peggy
FRC #0190 (Gompei & the HERD)

Rookie Year: 2005
dpraedan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dpraedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler View Post
"Thanks for thinking of us, it would be WICKED AWESOME to join you guys."
-paraphrased from 166.
We did that when we were in SVR, thought it'd be fun to bring a little of the east coast out west with us
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:16 AM
FRC #2848 (All Sparks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hoffman View Post
This topic has been covered before. Go here for all the fun....

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ciously+accept
Whoa! MY APOLOGIES!
I didn't see that thread! Still the fact that this is continuing to happen means it still needs to be dealt with. All I can say is, you wouldn't violate the rules for programming language no need to violate the rules of the English language.

Steve Alaniz
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Retired
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
Jack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree. It's the kind of thing up with which I am fed!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:19 AM
probably needs a new WAI
FRC #0075 (RoboRaiders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Rohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond reputeRohith Surampudi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rohith Surampudi

hehehe, or one could use the answer 237 used at NJ..." Team 237 would like to accept with a YEAH!"
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:21 AM
FRC #2848 (All Sparks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jones View Post
I totally agree. It's the kind of thing up with which I am fed!
Touche!

Steve Alaniz
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 08:58 AM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Rookie Year: 2003
Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

For the record "Heck yeah man!" is not the best response to an alliance request either... (Wisconsin 06...)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:03 AM
FTC #0478 (Mustang Robotics 478)

Rookie Year: 2005
fredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud offredliu168 has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to fredliu168

my way of accepting is:

"omg omg omg you actually picked us... omg we accept"

but of course... thats VEX
Pennsylvania VEX Competition WINNERS
Atlanta World Championships Runner-up alliance
Only team to win two regionals in 2006

In 2007
Team Name: 478 Mustang Robotics and 163 UHS Robotics
Events:
Toronto FTC Competition - Finalists (478, 163, 298)
MA FTC Competition - Winners! (738, 478, 427)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Lead Technical Advisor
FRC #1208 (MeTool Brigade)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1996
DavidGitz has much to be proud ofDavidGitz has much to be proud ofDavidGitz has much to be proud ofDavidGitz has much to be proud ofDavidGitz has much to be proud ofDavidGitz has much to be proud ofDavidGitz has much to be proud ofDavidGitz has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to DavidGitz Send a message via MSN to DavidGitz Send a message via Yahoo to DavidGitz

how about:
"It is a Glorious day to die!"-Worf

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: