Go to Post FIRST is not the end...it is the beginning - Greg Needel [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:00 PM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to behold
Snapping 775 Pro Shaft

So my team somehow was able to snap the shaft off while running a 775 Pro. We had an AM 12t Pinion on it when it snapped, connected to our drivetrain. For those teams that ran 775 drivetrains last year (2767, 2451, 3357, etc.), did you ever discover any failures similar to this?
We at first believed it was due to a lot of sudden forward and then reversing while driving but later we remembered our gearboxes became loose at one point and we are wondering if the sag of the motors put too much stress on the pinion, later causing it to fail. The pinion has an unusual wear pattern on it (flat teeth in a few spots but we have an enclosed gesrbox so could be due to getting wedged somewhere after failing).

And by the way, the motor still runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180213-125803.png
Views:	703
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	23008  

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Lead Mentor - Drive Coach
AKA: Adam Shroyer
FRC #0498 (Cobra Commanders)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
FRC_498 is a jewel in the roughFRC_498 is a jewel in the roughFRC_498 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Snapping 775 Pro Shaft

We blew through a Versa Planetary last night...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:20 PM
FRC #1817 (Llano Estacado RoboRaiders)

Rookie Year: 2013
BigTanBuilding is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you post a close up picture of the end of the shaft while it is not spinning? From your description of the sagging motors, my guess is bending fatigue.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:20 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type View Post
Was it running when that picture was taken? Most of the image is very clear, but the broken shaft surface looks blurry. A better look at that surface might help identify the failure mode.

When you said the gearboxes became loose, did you mean the motor screws?

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:29 PM
VEX Robotics
no team (No Team)

Rookie Year: 2005
Jon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond reputeJon Jack has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jon Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type View Post
So my team somehow was able to snap the shaft off while running a 775 Pro. We had an AM 12t Pinion on it when it snapped, connected to our drivetrain. For those teams that ran 775 drivetrains last year (2767, 2451, 3357, etc.), did you ever discover any failures similar to this?
We at first believed it was due to a lot of sudden forward and then reversing while driving but later we remembered our gearboxes became loose at one point and we are wondering if the sag of the motors put too much stress on the pinion, later causing it to fail. The pinion has an unusual wear pattern on it (flat teeth in a few spots but we have an enclosed gesrbox so could be due to getting wedged somewhere after failing).

Do you have a picture of your gearbox or at least how the gearing is laid out?

Team 1538 / The Holy Cows, 2005-2016
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:30 PM
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

Type is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to behold

I'll take a picture later of it not spinning. I took some without it spinning but they were blurry so I screenshotted a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
When you said the gearboxes became loose, did you mean the motor screws?
With our current setup, the screws holding the gearbox together holds the motors in, so technically the motor screws became loose.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Commander Canada
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth, AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute

Were these motors in a custom gearbox? Were the pinions double-loaded?

-Nick

Alumnus of 1503 Spartonics
Founding Mentor of 5406 Celt-X
Lead Mechanical Design Mentor of 3940 CyberTooth
Emceeing events since 2013 - come say hi!

Success doesn't always equate to match wins. It's about the wins off the field.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:45 PM
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jack View Post
Do you have a picture of your gearbox or at least how the gearing is laid out?
This is how the gearbox is currently setup. We are using AM DeCIMates connected to modified WCP SS (little smaller than normal configuration). If I can remember off the top of my head, we had a 26.775:1 reduction (total final reduction to the wheel, 6" wheel).
Since the picture was taken, plastic covers were added to keep grease in and dirt out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20180213-134009.png
Views:	475
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	23009  

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:46 PM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)

JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like either ductile torsional failure:

Or bending+rotating failure:

Possible that you got a motor without a heat-treated shaft, but perhaps more likely that the bending load from having the motor 'sag' induced a fracture that grew as the motor continued in use.

Edit: looks just like the fracture pattern for 'severe stress riser' in rotating+bending fatigue failure. Perhaps something to do with how the pinon was pressed on or made.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Imaginary Friend
AKA: Kevin Li
FRC #0596 (SciClones)
Team Role: Student

kevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to kevin.li.rit

I've had a RS550 fail like this when the motor mount to the GB got loose.

596 - Sciclones
1405 - Finney Falcons
2262 - Holliston Panthers
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 02:27 PM
3574 - The King's of Bling
AKA: Jim
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)

Rookie Year: 2012
InFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond repute

In the first picture; the lower mounting screw location looked damaged, and turned to an angle. It appears this motor bolt could have been cross-threaded off center.

There is also no indication of any red or blue traces on the threads, indicating no Loctite was used.

Last edited by InFlight : 02-13-2018 at 03:05 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM
FRC #2451 (Pwnage)

Rookie Year: 2011
Kevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Ainsworth has a reputation beyond repute

I would venture to guess it was the side loading from the gearbox coming loose. You could also have picked something up between the spur and pinion gear. A screw, rivet, washer, etc. The motor just doesn't have the torque to snap a shaft like that. If you started and stopped super quick, the armature would reverse direction before you could snap a shaft. The only other thought that comes to mind is the pressing of the pinion onto the shaft might have damaged the shaft which then broke.

2451 has never had a 775Pro shaft failure.
The motors we installed at the beginning of last season are still on our comp bot.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 04:26 PM
AKA: Mark
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)

Rookie Year: 2011
Mk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah in our off season 775pro drivetrain and in the history of abusing 775pros we've never seen a failure like that.

Team President: Team 3647 2010-2013
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2018, 11:48 PM
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

Here is a picture of the shaft snapped while not moving. If it's blurry, I'll try to re-upload. CD didn't like the original pictures size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20180213-235141.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	23015  

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2018, 07:17 AM
Electron Tamer
AKA: Ken Pontbriant
FRC #0230 (Gaelhawks)

Rookie Year: 2012
electroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the rough

All of the flaked-off plating around the motor mounting holes makes me think that motor was moving around a lot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: