OCCRA
Go to Post And then I learned how to use the lathe...long story short, I ditched my plans to become a music major and became an engineering student. - Karibou [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:06 PM
FRC #3324 (Metrobots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
joe_balint is an unknown quantity at this point
Rumor or Real: RF Tether product

Some of my controls guys have been hinting that there is an RF tether out there somewhere. I've been searching the forums for about 25 minutes and the closest I got was an old link to team696 selling 25ft and 50ft tether cables for the old pre2004 control systems. Does anyone have any more info on a true wireless-RF tether for the current IFI controllers? If so, I would appreciate the link or any contact info. Thanks. -Joe
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." -Clausewitz 1832
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:07 PM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rumor or Real: RF Tether product

Whats the point?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:22 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute

How would this differ from just hooking up an IFI radio to the Radio port?
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:25 PM
AKA: Matt Syska
FRC #0195 (Cyber Knights)
Team Role: Electrical

Sscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Sscamatt

Maybe you could beef it up to like 2.4Ghz and use it at competition.
2006 Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award, UTC Regional

RIT Class of 2011
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Programming Wizard and Team Captain
AKA: Steven Schlansker
FRC #0114 (Eaglestrike)
Team Role: Programmer

steven114 is a jewel in the roughsteven114 is a jewel in the roughsteven114 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to steven114

I would much rather use it as a wireless programmer
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:50 PM
AKA: Matt Syska
FRC #0195 (Cyber Knights)

Sscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Sscamatt

You can do it with bluetooth:
http://www.codebluecommunications.co...Generation.htm

Expensive though, ~$300
2006 Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award, UTC Regional

RIT Class of 2011
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Electrical Engineer
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Mike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_balint
Some of my controls guys have been hinting that there is an RF tether out there somewhere. I've been searching the forums for about 25 minutes and the closest I got was an old link to team696 selling 25ft and 50ft tether cables for the old pre2004 control systems. Does anyone have any more info on a true wireless-RF tether for the current IFI controllers? If so, I would appreciate the link or any contact info. Thanks. -Joe
The thread you are looking for is http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31931

However, (1) you can not program the robot with a SMiRF and, more importantly, (2) use of any RF transmitter on the robot or OI during competitions is illegal under this year's rules.

We did purchase a SMiRF and we are using it for code development. It's cool! However, we will not be bringing same to our competitions.

Alumnus, Team 3518, Panthrobots, 2011
Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010
LRI, Connecticut Regional, 2007-2010
LRI, WPI Regional, 2009 - 2010
RI, South Florida Regional, 2012 - 2013

As easy as 355/113...
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 10:51 PM
54... What a good number!
AKA: Michael Dessingue
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Dez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond reputeDez has a reputation beyond repute

-All programming at competitions must be done via a serial cable from your computer to the RC.

-While in the pits there is no wireless communication allowed, that includes everything from your robot having to be on tether to test and the use of walkie talkie radios being "banned".

There are NO exceptions for these rules and must be followed at all times.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Vice-President of Caffine
AKA: Jonathan
#0619 (CA Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
cdawzrd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to cdawzrd

At one point, IFI was selling wireless program/debug modems... i dunno if you could tether with them, but you could program remotely. They seem to have discontinued them.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Software Engineer
VRC #0111 (Wildstang)

Dave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawzrd
At one point, IFI was selling wireless program/debug modems... i dunno if you could tether with them, but you could program remotely.
Those could only be used to program the old PBASIC-based robot controllers. The new C-based RCs require a baud rate of 115200 bps for programming which the Stamper radios are not capable of (likely the reason why IFI stopped selling them).
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 12:24 AM
#1430 (WRONG)

Rookie Year: 2004
russell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to all

I have been thinking about a way that one could reprogram the robot remotely using the provided radio modems. You could even do it in competition I think, though it would be so incredibly slow that there is no way you could download a whole program during one match. Basically, there is a way to use the radio modem to actually send bytes to the RC isnt there? If so you write your own dashboard type interface, which sends the program one byte at a time to the RC, which in turn uses the TTL port to give it to an external programming thingy. Then when the programming thingy has the whole program it goes and downloads it to the RC. I havent looked into what this programing thingy would have to be, but I know that one can get programmers for PIC microcontrollers which you plug into your serial port, and if you were to use the serial output ability of a PIC to drive the programmer, which in turn programmed the RC then you could do it. Like I say it would be incredibly slow. The other way would be to simply have an onboard computer which retrieves the user bytes from the RC then runs a modified ifi loader to download the program. Is it legal to put say an old 386 on our robot, and only use the RC for IO, and do all of the actual processing on the 386? If so how would we do the cost accounting stuff, as I dont think they exactly make them any more?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Programming Wizard and Team Captain
AKA: Steven Schlansker
FRC #0114 (Eaglestrike)

steven114 is a jewel in the roughsteven114 is a jewel in the roughsteven114 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to steven114

Whether you can find rules allowing it or not, the benefits of reprogramming the robot in the middle of the match seem negligible. Much more useful would to be able to not have to hook the laptop up to the robot to program it...
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 12:31 AM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

We've still got the 25' cables for $12 shipped priority. Add $2 for a small gender changer to get a female-female cable, in essence. Or you can use just the 25' M-F cable as an extension to your red F-F cable.

Upon request, we can get 50' M-F cables and 10' F-F cables. On the 50 footers, I am not sure about signal loss over the length. I know with a BASIC stamp it doesn't like to load code over a cable that long, but I haven't tried it with the Pic controllers. I am certain the 25' will not cause any problems in programming or tether on any controller.

http://team696.org/forsale.html
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Electrical Engineer
no team

Mike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell
I have been thinking about a way that one could reprogram the robot remotely using the provided radio modems. You could even do it in competition I think,...
What part of R53 do you not understand? Wireless communications to or from the robot is illegal.

Alumnus, Team 3518, Panthrobots, 2011
Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010
LRI, Connecticut Regional, 2007-2010
LRI, WPI Regional, 2009 - 2010
RI, South Florida Regional, 2012 - 2013

As easy as 355/113...
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Programmer Turned Engineer
AKA: SonKenshin
#1097 (Site 3 Engineernig)
Team Role: Leadership

Anthony Kesich has a spectacular aura aboutAnthony Kesich has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Anthony Kesich

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven114
Whether you can find rules allowing it or not, the benefits of reprogramming the robot in the middle of the match seem negligible. Much more useful would to be able to not have to hook the laptop up to the robot to program it...
Our team has been looking at this. We went out and purchased a low profile motherboard with a PII on it and a flash card reader. We then bought a one gig flash card. We're gonna put this setup on the robot if we have the available weight (which it looks like we will this year). At the very least, we are going to use it for blackboxing and programming.

We would have a wireless card on it and run XP. This way we could run remote desktop, trasnfer over the code, and program through an Ad-Hoc network. Granted we would remove the wireless card before matches, but it would be very useful for testing code and quick changes to programming.

Even if the wireless wouldnt be allowed in the Pits (though i dont see how WiFi would interfere) it is still going to be useful for blackboxing and programming during build season.

-Tony K

Horray for most things! -George Carlin

"Sure, I'll play rugby. Besides, I have a lot of experience running from really big guys who want to cream me." -Me, Freshman year
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: