OCCRA
Go to Post We can't quite define FIRST according to past standards and traditions, because it is shaping the future and does not conform to today's model of sports. - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #121   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2010, 05:46 PM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The ultimate game breaker bot.

If I had come up with a chokehold strategy, I wouldn't talk about it on Chief Delphi.

That's just me though.
  #122   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Blitz Team 2470
FRC #2470 (Blitz Team)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2008
Hagar Topeka 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: The ultimate game breaker bot.

Here's a question: What if you designed the gripper(s) on your "god-bot" to include a rotating mechanism such that the robot was capable of swinging itself on the tower? Is that use of an "active mechanism" if you intentionally use it to provide momentum to the falling balls?

Will you be penalized if your robot, attempting to climb, initiates some accidental falling action, its erratic swinging then shooting a ball and scoring you a point?

In addition, no one has commented on an earlier post which questioned the appropriate definition of "above the bumper zone," posing the question, "what if you flip your robot and have a mechanism on the bottom?"
  #123   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2010, 11:44 PM
FRC #0016

RoboticBohemian is an unknown quantity at this point

That was one of the ideas put on our brainstorming board. We used a piece of Lexan and redirected the ball flawlessly into the goal. One of our mentors however came in and mentioned a rule stating that it isn't illegal but if there is any "damage" to the tower it is a penalty on you. And also keep in mind that if you are up there before finale, you are open game to get hammered. And we all know that if there is someone up there and within reach of ramming, they will get hit...hard.
  #124   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2010, 12:53 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar Topeka 1 View Post
Here's a question: What if you designed the gripper(s) on your "god-bot" to include a rotating mechanism such that the robot was capable of swinging itself on the tower? Is that use of an "active mechanism" if you intentionally use it to provide momentum to the falling balls?
Technically... the contacting part is not in motion relative to the robot, so it wouldn't be illegal.

Practically... Your entire robot is intentionally an active mechanism, so if I was your friendly neighborhood ref, I'd call it. Not to mention calling you for field damage if the tower went over.

Quote:
Will you be penalized if your robot, attempting to climb, initiates some accidental falling action, its erratic swinging then shooting a ball and scoring you a point?
You're going up, slip/swing, and somehow hit a ball into a goal. Not intentional, so no penalty. Now, if you did that every single match, I'd start calling it intentional. At that point, the penalty would depend on exactly how you did it whether it was a penalty or a card.

Quote:
In addition, no one has commented on an earlier post which questioned the appropriate definition of "above the bumper zone," posing the question, "what if you flip your robot and have a mechanism on the bottom?"
If you flip your robot and have your standard kicker mechanism do the hitting, I'd start calling it. Below the bumper zone? Yes, before the match. If the bumper zone is defined from the active bottom of the robot on a flat surface, that's definitely out; if it's defined in initial configuration and remains the same way the entire match, it depends. That's a Q&A one, but I think you'd get the same result as if a soccer player began running on his hands and using his feet to hold the ball above his head.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#125   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2010, 08:06 AM
FRC #2062 (C.O.R.E.)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2007
Durza16 is on a distinguished road

As long as the balls dont get stuck on top of your bot I don't see how this couldn't be legal...
  #126   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Killer Bee
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: Alumni

Norman J is a splendid one to beholdNorman J is a splendid one to beholdNorman J is a splendid one to beholdNorman J is a splendid one to beholdNorman J is a splendid one to beholdNorman J is a splendid one to beholdNorman J is a splendid one to beholdNorman J is a splendid one to behold

My team also came up with this, we call it the "ski jump" idea. Has anyone put something like this on Q and A yet?
  #127   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Your bot can score but can it dance
AKA: CJ
FRC #4451 (The Burning Magnetos)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
hipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to hipsterjr

469 That's all I have to say.
2008 Florida Regional Finalist Thanks 179 & 69
2007 Palmetto Regional winners Thanks 1319 & 832
2005 Palmetto Chairmens Winner
  #128   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:01 PM
AKA: Mark
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)

sparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsterjr View Post
469 That's all I have to say.
Yes, I was just thinking about digging this thread back up.

Well then, let's get to it!

I haven't found any video or pictures of the robot-- do they get an appreciable number of balls in themselves, or do they rely on a great teammate like the thunderchickens to clean each one up?
  #129   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:03 PM
100% charged 100% of the time
AKA: Scott
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
1902_Battery_SGT is a name known to all1902_Battery_SGT is a name known to all1902_Battery_SGT is a name known to all1902_Battery_SGT is a name known to all1902_Battery_SGT is a name known to all1902_Battery_SGT is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 1902_Battery_SGT

Yes we need photo and video of this robot in all of its awesomeness.
  #130   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Sunny
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)

ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowkc View Post

I haven't found any video or pictures of the robot-- do they get an appreciable number of balls in themselves, or do they rely on a great teammate like the thunderchickens to clean each one up?
When the ball return got jammed, they unhooked and then proceeded to kick in a couple of goals. They can hold their own, but with a good kicker, they definitely spell a championship alliance to me.
  #131   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:04 PM
The Freshman
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
BHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant futureBHS_STopping has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowkc View Post

On their own, 469 is pretty formidable. In auto they pop a few balls out of midfield and then maneuver into position, going into the tunnel while their ball handler unfolds above them. However, they have a good kicker and a good drive base, and would surely be an offensive threat if for some reason they couldn't recycle balls.

Edit: For those of you who were wondering, I don't have a picture of 469, but I do have a crude MSPaint drawing of what their robot does. Hope it clarifies things!

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/469i.png/

Last edited by BHS_STopping : 03-13-2010 at 07:42 PM.
  #132   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:11 PM
FRC #0217 (The Thunder Chickens)
Team Role: Programmer

JGurnow is on a distinguished road

It is also worth mentioning that 469 actually latched onto the tower from underneath the tunnel. They can choose which side to go to as well. On a clear field with no obstacles or uncirculated balls 469 can score probably 70-80% of their returns. They do rely on a teammate to get the cycle going, but with the right strategy and robots they can easily cycle balls as fast as the human players can return them. I think the time taken to score a single ball after getting the cycle going is about a ball every 4-5 seconds. Still, a game breaker robot is limited by the trident player, you need to give the ball the right speed repeatedly and do it quickly as well.
  #133   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Volunteer WPILib Developer, CSA
no team (WPILib)

Peter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Video of the 217, 469, 2960 26 point match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJh_tb9Ox6A
  #134   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2010, 03:11 AM
Code always works the first time!!!
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
leftylink is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

So I did some digging on youtube, and there are a few videos on 469. They're kinda low quality, but you take what you can get...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJh_tb9Ox6A - Semis #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXTSVZJcaYc - Finals #1

2012 Galileo Division Semifinalists - Great way to finish off my FIRST career and high school.
2011 Oregon Regional Champions - Thank you, alliance partners!
  #135   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2010, 03:38 AM
AKA: Mark
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)

sparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftylink View Post
Hey guys,

So I did some digging on youtube, and there are a few videos on 469. They're kinda low quality, but you take what you can get...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJh_tb9Ox6A - Semis #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXTSVZJcaYc - Finals #1

I find that my initial feelings of disgust towards a gamebreaker have been replaced by awe and amazement. That is beautiful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: