OCCRA
Go to Post I am a mechanical engineer. I have known since I was about 12 that I wanted to make complicated mechanisms. - Paul Copioli [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > CD Forum Support
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Unregistered User
AKA: Bailey Kahl
FRC #0195
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
bkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond repute
Changing CD for the better.

Alrighty... Lets try this again. I have attached my original post below. This thread was started based on the recommendation AND APPROVAL of the Mod Team, specifically Chris Picone, in an effort to stay focused on the problem at hand.

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen of Chief Delphi,

I think it’s time we look at updating our Forum Rules and guidelines for moderation. Seriously, when was the last time these were updated?

I think all of you will know where this started, so I’ll keep this short.

The rules are antiquated and vague, leaving all the power in the people that have been given the gift of being a moderator. There is no public guideline on what constitutes a removal of a post other than “moderators discretion”, which, if I’m being honest, is entirely inconsistent.

If we want to ban gifs, ban them.

What exactly is “off-topic”?

I have many more concerns, but I’d like to open this up for discussion first.

Thank you.
To summarize:

It appears everyone is in somewhat of an agreement that we need to bring our rules into the 21st Century, along with some potential changes to how the forum is moderated in its entirety.

Some Points I have liked so far:

1) Public Mod Logs of some sort.

2) New Blood in the Mods team. Some of the moderators have not been active on this site in months/years, and others have not actively been involved in FRC in recent seasons.

3) Updated Rules to account for Changing Times

4) Rules become more bulleted instead of a "Terms and Conditions"-like page

5) Added YPP info to CD Rules

Anything I missed?

Lets continue the discussion, everyone!

Last edited by bkahl : 09-16-2018 at 06:52 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:25 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing CD for the better.

While I approved another attempt at this thread, please keep this thread on topic and avoid intentionally provocative posts, short one-liner zing posts, or posts that entirely consist of a reaction GIF. While it's sort of ambiguous whether or not these are allowed by the current rules, the only way this discussion is going to work is if we all try and behave like adults here.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
While I approved another attempt at this thread, please keep this thread on topic and avoid intentionally provocative posts, short one-liner zing posts, or posts that entirely consist of a reaction GIF. While it's sort of ambiguous whether or not these are allowed by the current rules, the only way this discussion is going to work is if we all try and behave like adults here.
Can we ban reaction gifs entirely?

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Online Stripe & Drape Sales
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

How about ditching the rep system?
Clarke's Laws
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Pacific NorthBest Enthusiast
AKA: Luke Brandes
FRC #4131 (Iron Patriots)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
LukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
While I disagree that reaction gifs should be banned, I do think that codification of when/where they are acceptable is a good idea. For example, you could say in chit-chat threads they're allowed, but they aren't in technical threads.
FTC:
13502: Driver (2017-18)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:29 PM
Unregistered User
FRC #0195

bkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond reputebkahl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
While I disagree that reaction gifs should be banned, I do think that codification of when/where they are acceptable is a good idea. For example, you could say in chit-chat threads they're allowed, but they aren't in technical threads.
I think they can and should be allowed in all forums. However, they must be accompanied by a contextual message that would contribute to the thread in the case the image was not included.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:30 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
I support this idea. Hard to codify specifically what constitutes a "reaction gif" vs. another gif, and I don't want to ban ALL gifs (specifically those containing FRC robots, machinery, etc). Ultimately I think it's a bit of a judgement call, and I'm fine with that.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:31 PM
AKA: Eli Barnett
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)

Rookie Year: 2008
Oblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond repute

Implement and enforce a "no snark" rule.

Alternatively, if you want something even more broad, implement and enforce a "post in good faith" rule.

Member, FRC Team 449: 2007-2010
Drive Mechanics Lead, FRC Team 449: 2009-2010
Alumnus/Technical Mentor, FRC Team 449: 2010-Present
Lead Technical Mentor, FRC Team 4464: 2012-2015
Technical Mentor, FRC Team 5830: 2015-2016

FRC Drivetrain Characterization
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:33 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblarg View Post
Implement and enforce a "no snark" rule.

Alternatively, if you want something even more broad, implement and enforce a "post in good faith" rule.
Hard to enforce, but I support the central concept.

Similar to Woodie's "would you grandmother be proud of you?" evaluation tool for Gracious Professionalism, I think a "would you put this in an e-mail to your boss?" metric would be a good thing for posters to apply to Chief Delphi.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
How about ditching the rep system?
how else would i know if i spelt someones name wrong?

idk, when its used properly its okay, but its really easy to manipulate it or get a train going if someone says the wrong thing (though usually they are saying something fairly out of line to be getting negrepped a lot.)

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:35 PM
FF: TSIMFD
AKA: David Carpenter
no team (Lincoln Tech)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2010
carpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond repute

Add a combat robotics section to the forums. While I love pisting progress updates on my bot Iím sure some people donít like it being in General.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:35 PM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
Presumably only if the reaction gif is unrelated? Gifs are an effective way to communicate certain technical topics.

(I had a boss try to ban gifs in a work slack once, I primarily use gifs to communicate features)

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:36 PM
Data wins arguments.
AKA: Phil Lopreiato
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2010
plnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahl View Post
I think they can and should be allowed in all forums. However, they must be accompanied by a contextual message that would contribute to the thread in the case the image was not included.
I think this is a good way to define it - any post should be able to stand on its own without the gif. The rules can/should be different for some subforums (like Chit Chat).

Speaking of subforums, I think better categorization of threads is another good step (instead of dumping everything into the general forum). This means we can define rules that apply to each subform, with varying degrees of strictness. It'll be some additional work on the mod team to move threads to the proper location (or an interface change for thread submits to make the different forum choices more obvious), but one I think will be worth it. Better thread categorization also makes it easier for users to customize their portal page and better curate the types of content they want to see by default.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Pacific NorthBest Enthusiast
AKA: Luke Brandes
FRC #4131 (Iron Patriots)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
LukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to beholdLukeB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahl View Post
I quite like this rule. I was less trying to say that I don't think that gifs should be in technical threads and more trying to use an example that no one would find absolutely unacceptable.
FTC:
13502: Driver (2017-18)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2018, 06:40 PM
Unregistered User
FRC #0195

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnyyanks View Post

Speaking of subforums, I think better categorization of threads is another good step (instead of dumping everything into the general forum). This means we can define rules that apply to each subform, with varying degrees of strictness. It'll be some additional work on the mod team to move threads to the proper location (or an interface change for thread submits to make the different forum choices more obvious), but one I think will be worth it. Better thread categorization also makes it easier for users to customize their portal page and better curate the types of content they want to see by default.
Conversely, I think a re-evaluation of how many sub-forums we have would be beneficial. IIRC, the mods have already said they're spread thin across the sheer number of sub-forums we have.

It's likely the website would function fine with 15-20 broad sub-forums. I count appx. 40+ currently

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: