Go to Post Adaptability is the key folks. Your job will not be the same 10 years from now (when I retire), or 20 years or 30 years from now. The tools and systems you use will change, and you must be able to adapt along with them. - Bill Moore [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > Computer Graphics
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Computer Consultant
AKA: Sammy
FRC #0393 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2007
Lilszamora is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lilszamora Send a message via MSN to Lilszamora Send a message via Yahoo to Lilszamora
Gimp vs Photoshop

ok, I was just wondering what all photoshop has on it compared to the freeware gimp...I would really like to keep costs down for the team, so I'd like to use as much freeware as possible.

So if there is anything that would extremely help out by getting photoshop I'd spring for it, but otherwhys I'm going to stick with GIMP. So far though it seems as though this should have everything I need.

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Ambitiously Disappointing
AKA: Andy Burchardt
FRC #0171 (Cheese Curd Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
AndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond reputeAndyB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gimp vs Photoshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilszamora View Post
ok, I was just wondering what all photoshop has on it compared to the freeware gimp...I would really like to keep costs down for the team, so I'd like to use as much freeware as possible.

So if there is anything that would extremely help out by getting photoshop I'd spring for it, but otherwhys I'm going to stick with GIMP. So far though it seems as though this should have everything I need.
Though I have never actually used GIMP myself, I can attest that it is probably the best option if you don't feel like forking out the cash for an Adobe product.

Do your school computers have any available software? My high school had Photoshop and Fireworks available.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Building cars now....
AKA: Tyler Moser
FRC #2016 (Mighty Monkey Wrenches)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Lowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lowfategg

I have used Photoshop and I have used gimp. I find that Photoshop is way better, but its also more expensive.

Mightly Monkey Wrenches FRC #2016 - 2010-12 (Mentor)

Past: FTC #74, FVC #3179, FVC #73, FRC #303, FRC #2753
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

My only issue with GIMP is the user interface, this isnt to say it is bad merely that I am not used to it.

http://grimthing.com/archives/2007/0..._vs_Photoshop/ is an article that does a reasonable job. It made me think, do I really need Photoshop? Give it a read, the author does use some language that may not be appropriate for young children but he raises some very good points.

This being said, I shoot with a DSLR in RAW format, GIMP supports 8bits per channel, my raw files are 10bits per channel. If you, or your team, shoot using DSLRs in RAW format this may be an issue if you want to work directly with the RAW files.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2008, 07:57 PM
AKA: Brian Graham
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Not2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond repute

what about paint.net?

It's at http://www.getpaint.net

It's not to bad either.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2008, 08:13 PM
AKA: Brennan Ashton
FRC #2605 (A2D_16)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2008
comphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to comphappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
This being said, I shoot with a DSLR in RAW format, GIMP supports 8bits per channel, my raw files are 10bits per channel. If you, or your team, shoot using DSLRs in RAW format this may be an issue if you want to work directly with the RAW files.
You need the ufraw plugin (also free and opensource) it supports up to 16-bits, I use it all the time with my DSLR.

I also have not found anything in photoshop that I cannot do in GIMP (might be hidden in that rather odd UI). I am not at all bashing Photoshop as I use it at work all the time.

What in particular were you wanting to do with GIMP, I have a bunch of tutorials for Web, Photos, and Animations.

All of the images on our team page were done (in a rushed fashion so the quality suffered on some of them) with GIMP, www.shsfirst.org
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Computer Consultant

Send a message via AIM to Lilszamora Send a message via MSN to Lilszamora Send a message via Yahoo to Lilszamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
Though I have never actually used GIMP myself, I can attest that it is probably the best option if you don't feel like forking out the cash for an Adobe product.

Do your school computers have any available software? My high school had Photoshop and Fireworks available.
the school computer thing might have been a good idea, but we use all our own computers and labtops that we buy with our funds because the room we use don't have any working computers, and to another person, I plan on making my team logo and other items with GIMP. All the userbars in my signature were also made with GIMP, but since I'm used to it, and can actually use it better than photoshop I'm going to stick with it, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some super amazing thing you can do with photoshop that was unavailable with GIMP.

Thanks guys

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the school computer thing might have been a good idea, but we use all our own computers and labtops that we buy with our funds because the room we use don't have any working computers, and to another person, I plan on making my team logo and other items with GIMP. All the userbars in my signature were also made with GIMP, but since I'm used to it, and can actually use it better than photoshop I'm going to stick with it, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some super amazing thing you can do with photoshop that was unavailable with GIMP.

Thanks guys
If you are making logos I cannot urge you enough to use Inkscape, a free vector graphics program. Logos should be done in vector format, it will save you if you try to get them printed.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:06 PM
FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics) #254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 1999
AustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond reputeAustinSchuh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you are making logos I cannot urge you enough to use Inkscape, a free vector graphics program.
I second that. My brother used Inkscape this summer at his job for creating logos after finding it online, and it was an awesome tool for the job. I am pretty sure that he views it as on the same level as Adobe Illustrator in terms of capability, which is saying something.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2008, 11:25 PM
No Stolte No
AKA: Chris
FRC #2194 (Fondy Fire)

Cow Bell Solo is a jewel in the roughCow Bell Solo is a jewel in the roughCow Bell Solo is a jewel in the roughCow Bell Solo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Cow Bell Solo Send a message via MSN to Cow Bell Solo Send a message via Yahoo to Cow Bell Solo

I have used both, and personally would prefere the GIMP. I can find that most of the functions that you are going to use can be done with both. I will agree that sometimes with the GIMP it can be hard to know exactly on how to do it. All of the photos and images on our team website, this year and last years website(which I don't have currently up(last years)), were edited using the GIMP. For what you can do with both I would say go with the GIMP as it is free. Also my avatar was made with the GIMP(I know that it isn't that good as I threw that together in a second), and also the animation that I had before using (it was a robot that came in off screen and removed the red X when a picture is unable to load in windows, for those that might of seen it before). Okay now time for me to be quiet and and let you choose.
Iowa FIRST LEGO League Planning Team Member - 2010-Present - http://www.isek.iastate.edu/fll
FIRST LEGO League volunteer - 2008-Present

2008: MN Regional Quarterfinalists, Website Excellence
2009: MN North Star Quarterfinalists, recognized for safety, Website Excellence
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Computer Consultant

I'll be sure to check out inkscape, but I've been doing pretty well with gimp, even got a new logo for our team in the works with it, but I'll see if inkscape can do any better

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Mechanical Design Engineer
AKA: That silly panda girl from back in the day.
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
Nica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond reputeNica F. has a reputation beyond repute

I used to use Gimp at school, seeing it was always installed on the school laptops and it was good for doing pretty general things such as free transforming, basic picture alterations, and a lot of other things. I personally went online and looked for "how to's" if I got stuck but really need to do something and GIMP was the only thing available. I survived for a year on the team designing things on GIMP after getting used to the program.

Photoshop is so so so great though. You can do so much on it and is much more flexible with scans and major alterations, and of course graphic design. Overall it blows GIMP out of the water, but you're paying for the quality. It's not cheap but definitely worth it. After a year of GIMP we actually invested in putting photoshop on one mac for me to use and it did me good, and made my life so much better when it came to making logos, working on banners, etc etc. Photoshop is worth its price if you are going to use it and you figure out how to use the functions.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute

The Adobe Creative Suite is an awesome piece of software.

If you purchase it you are almost certainly eligible for the educational discount.

Unfortunately the new suite is significantly more expensive even with the discount.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 12:33 PM
AKA: Natalie
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
princessnatalie has much to be proud ofprincessnatalie has much to be proud ofprincessnatalie has much to be proud ofprincessnatalie has much to be proud ofprincessnatalie has much to be proud ofprincessnatalie has much to be proud ofprincessnatalie has much to be proud ofprincessnatalie has much to be proud of

I have used both, Photoshop at school for all our Yearbook stuff and Gimp at home for personal use.
One thing I have noticed that Photoshop can do that Gimp cant is clip paths (or I just havent figured it out yet), which you may or may not care about, but for yearbook its wonderful. Clips are when you take a picture, cut the background out and just have the person, or whatever. Also, I agree with most of the people above, Gimp's userinterface is harder to work with than PS.
However, if you havent used either, it may not make a difference which program you choose.
Autodesk Oregon Regional

--
2011 Seattle Cascade Regional Champions
thanks 1510 & 2660
&
2011 Autodesk Oregon Regional Champions
thanks 360 & 3711
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:39 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you are making logos I cannot urge you enough to use Inkscape, a free vector graphics program. Logos should be done in vector format, it will save you if you try to get them printed.

Quote:
I'll be sure to check out inkscape, but I've been doing pretty well with gimp, even got a new logo for our team in the works with it, but I'll see if inkscape can do any better
I couldn't agree more with Andrew's statement.

I have been in the print business for a very long time and I can't state more emphatically that logos should be done in vector format.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: