Go to Post Personally, I think the solution involves looking at the past. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 07:22 AM
AKA: Steven Kao
FRC #4904 (Bot-Provoking)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2017
Kaorin is on a distinguished road
pic: Mars Game 2018 (Work in Progress)

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 07:25 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Mars Game 2018 (Work in Progress)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaorin View Post
Anyways, although it's not really a serious design, tell me what you think![/cdm-description]
Looks totally serious to me.

Assuming 2018 rules include something like R1, R22, R23, R24 from this year, you'll need to think about how to get a legal set of bumpers on it. The MER designers had many challenges, but bumper rules were not among them.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 07:28 AM
FirstUpdatesNow.com
FRC #3015 (Ranger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Justin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Justin Montois

This is very cool!

Team 3015
2017- Finger Lakes Regional Champions with 191 and 3799
2016- World Championship Finalists and Tesla Division Champions with 2056, 1690 and 1405
2016- Greater Pittsburgh Regional Chairman's Award
2016- Pittsburgh Regional Finalists with 1023 and 4050
2015- Newton Division Finalists With 195 and 1756
2015- Finger Lakes Regional Champions with 4039 and 378
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 07:31 AM
FRC #1768

Rookie Year: 2015
FrisbeeFunTime is on a distinguished road

What do you have the drive geared for?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 07:52 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
Ari423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond reputeAri423 has a reputation beyond repute

Any reason you have the drive motors vertical instead of parallel to the wheel axle? Would probably eliminate some inefficiency and allow the modules to turn 360*.

Also why 775pros for drive motors over CIMs? 6 775pros (with voltage/current limits) is barely enough power to drive a full weight robot and not burn up. 6 CIMs is still legal, requires less reduction (smaller gearbox), and is a lot more resistant to high torques, which is likely in a rocker-bogie suspension system. If you think 6 CIMs is too much power, you can use 6 miniCIMs, which is about the same amount of power as 4 CIMs.

FYI, there are 16 slots in the PDP (8 40A max, 8 30A max). Your system uses 12 of those (assuming 6x 30A and 6x 40A), so you would have 2x 30A slots and 2x 40A slots left for manipulators. That combined with pneumatics and servos is enough to have a decent manipulator for pretty much any game since at least 2010.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 08:59 AM
Mentor (in airquotes)
AKA: Tim Flynn
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
tjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud of

This is absolutely nuts. *Please* build this, at least a small one, simply to say you did. I mean, how many people can say "I used a rover drivetrain design for a robotics competition... and it worked."

Legal... who knows with bumpers. Awesome? Well, that's a given.

1257 (2016) - Student
1257 (2017-Present) - Overactive Alumn | 1228 (2017-Present) - Mentor of The Hour
KD2KRT
My ideas and comments are my own, bla bla bla legal. Send CADs.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Go YETI!
AKA: Robbie
FRC #3506 (YETI)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
OccamzRazor has much to be proud ofOccamzRazor has much to be proud ofOccamzRazor has much to be proud ofOccamzRazor has much to be proud ofOccamzRazor has much to be proud ofOccamzRazor has much to be proud ofOccamzRazor has much to be proud ofOccamzRazor has much to be proud ofOccamzRazor has much to be proud of

I love it. Crazy enough, there is actually more gearing required in this to make it work. You have to have a differential gear box set in between the left and right side on the front pivot so that as one side goes up the other goes down to compensate on rough terrain. I had to build one of these with banebots gearboxes for a lunar mining competition. It does get heavy quick and there are some other things you have to do to keep the chassis level but it worked swell at Kennedy Space Center.
2016 NC District Championship Winner
2016 NC Regional Chairman's Award
2016 NC Woodie Flowers Award Finalist - Lia Schwinghammer

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 10:40 AM
AKA: Noah Brooks
FRC #3620 (The Average Joes)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2016
NoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud ofNoshBrooks has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
you'll need to think about how to get a legal set of bumpers on it.
Challenge accepted.

FPV Pilot, gamer, band kid, VR enthusiast, tinkerer, and all around nerd
When Mama Richard ain't happy, nobody happy
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 01:05 PM
I'm over here. Not over Thayer.
FRC #0159 (Alpine Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
Thayer McCollum has a brilliant futureThayer McCollum has a brilliant futureThayer McCollum has a brilliant futureThayer McCollum has a brilliant futureThayer McCollum has a brilliant futureThayer McCollum has a brilliant futureThayer McCollum has a brilliant futureThayer McCollum has a brilliant futureThayer McCollum has a brilliant futureThayer McCollum has a brilliant futureThayer McCollum has a brilliant future

We seriously considered building something similar in 2016. A rocker-bogie suspension at least, not one that slapped swerve drive on top of it.

As to making bumpers work... in 2016 we did build an actuating drive train to help us clear defenses. One drive rail was an integral part of the frame. Then the frame was lifted a couple inches on opposite side. The second drive rail was mounted on a pivot underneath the frame. The bumpers were mounted to the frame and the frame was deemed by inspectors to be non-articulating (the drive rail articulated) as such the bumpers were non actuating as well.

I expect you could design a similar system for the bogie suspension. You mount both suspensions to a solid frame and mount bumpers to it. The question becomes, if both halves of the drive train articulate does the frame articulate?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
Looks totally serious to me.

Assuming 2018 rules include something like R1, R22, R23, R24 from this year, you'll need to think about how to get a legal set of bumpers on it. The MER designers had many challenges, but bumper rules were not among them.
Yeah... I haven't really figured out what to do about bumpers. Mounting them at normal height would also make the suspension pretty useless, so I have no clue what to do.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeFunTime View Post
What do you have the drive geared for?
I haven't selected a gearing ratio yet, but the drive motors have 2-stage VP's on them, allowing for a range of different ratios.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer McCollum View Post
We seriously considered building something similar in 2016. A rocker-bogie suspension at least, not one that slapped swerve drive on top of it.

As to making bumpers work... in 2016 we did build an actuating drive train to help us clear defenses. One drive rail was an integral part of the frame. Then the frame was lifted a couple inches on opposite side. The second drive rail was mounted on a pivot underneath the frame. The bumpers were mounted to the frame and the frame was deemed by inspectors to be non-articulating (the drive rail articulated) as such the bumpers were non actuating as well.

I expect you could design a similar system for the bogie suspension. You mount both suspensions to a solid frame and mount bumpers to it. The question becomes, if both halves of the drive train articulate does the frame articulate?
My plan for getting the frame to stay put is to have a differential bar running across it. This way, when the left side goes down it rotates the bar, causing the right side to go up and cancel out its motion. Because of this opposite reaction, the frame will be able to hold itself up mechanically and without the use of motors or weights.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccamzRazor View Post
I love it. Crazy enough, there is actually more gearing required in this to make it work. You have to have a differential gear box set in between the left and right side on the front pivot so that as one side goes up the other goes down to compensate on rough terrain. I had to build one of these with banebots gearboxes for a lunar mining competition. It does get heavy quick and there are some other things you have to do to keep the chassis level but it worked swell at Kennedy Space Center.
Yeah, the amount of gearing on this thing is insane. Instead of using a gearbox for the differential, though, I plan on using a bar that will act as a differential. This way, when the left rotates down, the right will rotate up proportionally and cancel out any tilt, allowing the bot to stay upright without the use of motors or weights.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf View Post
This is absolutely nuts. *Please* build this, at least a small one, simply to say you did. I mean, how many people can say "I used a rover drivetrain design for a robotics competition... and it worked."

Legal... who knows with bumpers. Awesome? Well, that's a given.
I'd really love to build this, but... it costs like $2000 just for the drivetrain, and I'm not even sure if it would work. I'm prototyping a swerve drive using a 3D printer, but even that requires a lot of components. I think it would be cool to 3D print a little model of this for my desk, though...
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari423 View Post
Any reason you have the drive motors vertical instead of parallel to the wheel axle? Would probably eliminate some inefficiency and allow the modules to turn 360*.

Also why 775pros for drive motors over CIMs? 6 775pros (with voltage/current limits) is barely enough power to drive a full weight robot and not burn up. 6 CIMs is still legal, requires less reduction (smaller gearbox), and is a lot more resistant to high torques, which is likely in a rocker-bogie suspension system. If you think 6 CIMs is too much power, you can use 6 miniCIMs, which is about the same amount of power as 4 CIMs.

FYI, there are 16 slots in the PDP (8 40A max, 8 30A max). Your system uses 12 of those (assuming 6x 30A and 6x 40A), so you would have 2x 30A slots and 2x 40A slots left for manipulators. That combined with pneumatics and servos is enough to have a decent manipulator for pretty much any game since at least 2010.
I chose to put the 775's vertical mostly just for the aesthetics, to be honest. Curiosity has some kind of hubbed (or very small and hard to see) motor for its wheels, so I wanted to try to imitate that. Also, I heard that my team had a really bad experience in the past using VP's horizontally directly to the wheels.

Also, how would you recommend utilizing CIM's for drive in this design? As far as I'm aware of, CIM's can't be mounted to VP's and creating a custom gearbox for this would be either too big or an absolute nightmare.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: