OCCRA
Go to Post Build the wrong robot that aims well or build the right robot that can't aim.... decisions, decisions.... - Tom Bottiglieri [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 08:40 AM
FRC #4611

dragonriderx is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the 360 Laser Distance Sensor LDS-01 (LIDAR) FRC Legal?

We're interested in using this LIDAR but I can't find anything about if FRC approves or not? Do any of you guys know?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 08:56 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is the 360 Laser Distance Sensor LDS-01 (LIDAR) FRC Legal?

As long as it doesn't break any rules listed in the game manual, anything is legal. Here are some rules a LIDAR might break:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 Game Manual
R08. ROBOT parts shall not be made from hazardous materials, be unsafe, cause an unsafe condition, or interfere with the operation of other ROBOTS.

Examples of items that will violate R08 include (but are not limited to):
D. Exposed lasers other than Class I.
This LIDAR uses a Class I laser, so that's fine.

Quote:
R12. No individual, non-KOP item shall have a value that exceeds $500 USD. The total cost of COMPONENTS purchased in bulk may exceed $500 USD as long as the cost of an individual COMPONENT does not exceed $500 USD.
This LIDAR costs $180 (at least from where I was looking), so that's fine.

Quote:
R33. The only motors and actuators permitted on 2018 ROBOTS include the following (in any quantity):

Motors integral to a COTS sensor (e.g. LIDAR, scanning sonar, etc.), provided the device is not modified except to facilitate mounting
The motor in the LIDAR is integral to the sensor and not modified, so that's fine.

Quote:
R51. Any active electrical item that is not an actuator (specified in R33) or core Control System item (specified in R72) is considered a CUSTOM CIRCUIT. CUSTOM CIRCUITS shall not produce voltages exceeding 24V.
The LIDAR doesn't require or produce a voltage over 24V (at least in any way accessible to the user), so that's fine.

If anyone can find another rule that it does violate, then it's not legal. Otherwise, this LIDAR doesn't break any rule that I remember, so it should be legal.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2018, 10:42 AM
FRC #1817 (Llano Estacado RoboRaiders)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2015
Brian Michell is just really niceBrian Michell is just really niceBrian Michell is just really niceBrian Michell is just really niceBrian Michell is just really nice
Re: Is the 360 Laser Distance Sensor LDS-01 (LIDAR) FRC Legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
As long as it doesn't break any rules listed in the game manual, anything is legal. Here are some rules a LIDAR might break:
Keep in mind that the rules quoted are subject to change throughout the season and year-year.

*Any views I express are my own and do not reflect those of any organization I am currently or formerly associated with unless stated.
2015-2016: Programming, Drive Coach
2017: Programming, Drive Mentor
2018-?: Programming Mentor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: