Go to Post FIRST is supposed to be a learning experience. Learn first, win awards later. - evulish [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 03:57 PM
MGSH Coder
FRC #2526 (Team 2526)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2008
Philz20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Joystick sensitivity

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with the sensitivity of my joystick. We are running a 4-motor setup and the joystick causes the robot to speed up and turn too quick with the slightest movement of the joystick. Turning the robot causes a quick jerk which is giving us control issues. Are there any block functions in easyC to adjust the sensitivity? This is my team's first year in FIRST and the first time I'm doing C programming, so my understanding of the code is basic at best. Any help will be much appreciated.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 04:29 PM
A Pirate's Life For Me...
AKA: Christina
FRC #0467 (Duct Tape Bandits)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
angelc24 has a spectacular aura aboutangelc24 has a spectacular aura aboutangelc24 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to angelc24
Re: Joystick sensitivity

This is what we have used for the past few years as ramping code :

Code:
long ramping (unsigned char ramp)
{
    long answer = 0;
    answer =  ((long)ramp - 127);
    answer = ((answer) * (answer) * (answer));
    answer = ((answer) / (128 * 128));
    answer = (answer) + (127);
    return answer;
}

We've never used EasyC, so I don't know if there's anything there to help you...

"Whether a bot is made of new parts, old parts or spare parts, you can shine no matter what you're made of"
2005 Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2006 Xerox Creativity Award
2006 Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2007 Johnson and Johnson Sportsmanship Award
2008 Judges' Award
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 04:36 PM
FRC #2477
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
windell747 will become famous soon enoughwindell747 will become famous soon enough

Hi, I really like the idea of your ramping function. I was wondering if you could provide some reasoning behind your calculations. I would like to know the thought procedure behind the steps.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 04:38 PM
AKA: A. King

Rookie Year: 2007
psy_wombats has a spectacular aura aboutpsy_wombats has a spectacular aura aboutpsy_wombats has a spectacular aura about

That code above should produce a curve that reduces the motor outputs when the joystick is at a low level, but still maintain a max speed. (See attachment.) Of course, you could just multiply by some fraction, but that decreases your top speed. Or maybe reduce speed when motors are turning in opposite directions, (turning?)

The reason it's cubed is to get that sort of curve for the entire function. The random huge number in there is 128, (the maximum value) squared. It's basically to center the cubic equation on 128,128. (I believe I came up with it with experimentation on a graphing calculator, I really forget why it works)
Attached Images
File Type: bmp ramping.bmp (48.1 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by psy_wombats : 01-23-2008 at 04:40 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Let us not forget that the speed controllers have a calibrate function. If you do not provide for one in your code then follow the calibrate procedure in the 884 manual available on the IFI website. This insures that the controller learns the full travel of your joystick, the end points of travel and the center rest position.
www.wildstang.org
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Are you going to eat that?
FRC #2039 (Rockford Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
MiniNerd24 is a jewel in the roughMiniNerd24 is a jewel in the roughMiniNerd24 is a jewel in the roughMiniNerd24 is a jewel in the rough

If you're using ROBOTC after the [p1_y] statement in " motor[port1] = frcRF[p1_y] just add the division sign ( / ) and put a number down (we're using 5)
This is what it should look like.
motor[port1] = frcRF[p1_y/5];
and that's all.
hope this helps.

Rockford Robotics 2039: Think outside the bots.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 05:32 PM

psy_wombats has a spectacular aura aboutpsy_wombats has a spectacular aura aboutpsy_wombats has a spectacular aura about

Only problem with actual division is the reduction of max speed. You can only go up to one fifth of your mechanical maximum with that code. Another thing we did last year was have a 'precision button,' that divided the value only when you pressed a certain button. That way you can limit responsiveness but not speed using true division.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM

MiniNerd24 is a jewel in the roughMiniNerd24 is a jewel in the roughMiniNerd24 is a jewel in the roughMiniNerd24 is a jewel in the rough

You sure? We got max speed even when we divided directly but, hey, I'll take your word for it.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 07:08 PM

I'm fairly sure. Unless... What is your frcRF function? If that's a ramping function, I wouldn't think that's direct division. (I've never used RobotC anyway.)

If it's not, you might not be getting the max speed, as the maximum value you're getting from the joystick (256) divided by 5 is 51. That's less than your max of 127, (or 256 if that's how you're using the values.) Whatever works for you. (Though I'd check just in case you don't really know your max speed.) Good luck.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:30 PM

Thanks, looks like you're the one helping me instead.
(But just for a teaser, our robot moves (at max speed of course) at 10 ft.ps)
I don't know where the site is but it is in a thread called FREE ROBOTC FOR FIRST MEMBERS

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2008, 07:34 AM
None #0612
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
jskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to beholdjskene is a splendid one to behold

Here on Team 612 we've used the cube function for several years. It gives the drivers much better control at low speeds.

We also include an acceleration limiter, which eliminates any chance of tripping the circuit breakers. We do this by allowing the PWM signal sent to the drive motors to increase by only a certain amount on each pass through the user routine.

This reduces the maximum current sent to the motors. It also minimizes strain on the drive system (chains, belts, tread wear, etc.). The effect on the robot's performance on the field is barley noticeable.

This year, however, we are doing something completely different....

-----------------------------------2007 - Chairman's Award - NASA/VCU ---| ---Finalist; Kleiner Perkins Award - Chesapeake
-----------------------------------2006 - Chairman's Award - Chesapeake ---| --- Engineering Inspiration Award - NASA/VCU --
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: