OCCRA
Go to Post I've had parents tell me I'm a great role model for their daughters, because I was a female leader. It's a great feeling to hear something like that. - Liz Smith [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV
Favorite robot parts teams should know about

I posted a simple question to my Facebook page a couple days ago.

Quote:
What are your favorite McMaster-Carr robot parts other teams should know about?

Other sources are cool too.
A lot of people contributed some awesome answers that I will share below. If you have some more great products teams should know about feel free to post.

I've tried to clean up the lists a bit and remove duplicates, but I'm sure there still are some. I added team numbers where I knew them off the top of my head for some people. I tried to keep as much of what the comments said but did some minor editing to make it readable as a single post. Part Numbers in bold are McMaster part numbers, just search for them on McMaster.com

T. Holtzman (2056)
  • 2477k37 - Fairline Rollers
  • A. Gregory added - “Fixture works sales them with various bores include 1.125” which fit FRC hubs. https://www.fixtureworks.net/store/p...Only-c1702.htm Used as shooter wheels in various games by many teams including 2056, 1114, etc.”

J. Germita (5012)
  • 8307A355 - 0.1950" Reamer - Use with a lathe to convert WCP BAG/RS550 aluminum pinions into 775 pinions
  • 8307A356 - 0.1955" Reamer - same as above, but for steel!
  • 1004A12 - Loctite gluestick! No more wasted spilled loctite!
  • 5099A34 - 5/32" Dia cleco temporary fasteners. Great for installation of gussets and general sheet metal assembly
  • 5099A51 - Cleco installation pliers
  • 2289T41 - 1.9" omni wheels - kinda like the ones 118 use sometimes
  • 8585K108 - 5/8" ID polycarbonate round tubing. Good for quick spacers on hex shaft if you don't really care about the OD of the spacer being concentric with your shaft.
  • 3161T31 - 1x1x1/8" Clear polycarbonate square tubing! Great for applications that call for 1x1 but not necessarily aluminum.
Picks from amazon and other sources:

118 Alumni - R. Stockton, C. Grat, E. Reed
  • 5236k529 - Silicone Tubing We stretched this over 1.25" and 1.125" tubing for intake rollers
  • 18635A52, 18635A54 - Turn Table Bearings, also from Amazon
  • 94290A571 - Star Nuts - You can press these threaded inserts into the ends of tubes to get a 1/4-20 thread in the center of them. We used them on some non-FRC projects.
  • Pololu Step-Down Voltage Regulator D15V70F5S3 - 7A 12v to 5v converter for powering lights, computing, etc.
  • 6208K484 - Flexible couplers. They come in a ton of different sizes and they also allow for some misalignment. We turn down one of the drivetrain shafts to a 1/4" and then use these to couple it to the encoder. These are a good alternative if you don't trust the surgical tubing method. (WCP also sales ” ones here - http://www.wcproducts.net/clamping-shaft-collars - A. Lawerance)

A. Gregory (3847)
  • 87145K32 - Rubber Sheet used as the back wall of our shooter this year.
  • 1872A71 - Slide-snap bumper latches but we buy them from here now https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=4660 Teams like Neutrino, 1296, & 971 have used them for bumper latches, Aren Hill is the first person I know to use them for this. Spectrum used them for our bumpers plus attaching our shooter and gear mechanisms this season.
Photos of them in use
https://photos.smugmug.com/2017-FRC/...MG_4205-4K.jpg
http://photos.spectrum3847.org/FRC-T...96/i-2HTxc9v/A
http://photos.spectrum3847.org/FRC-T...96/i-8TKXS9D/A
  • Polycord Belting - https://www.mcmaster.com/#urethane-belts/=1a474hh
  • 94639A549 - nylon spacers
  • Annular Cutter - If you can get a drill chuck that can do 3/4" a 1-1/8" annular cutter is better than the step drill and not much more money. - https://www.ebay.com/itm/170988131471
  • Cheap import flush cutters - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs...311.0.0.7BI7QZ
  • Nylon Clevis / Rod Ends for pneumatics and gas spring-
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/1259/=1a49xko
  • 9063T31 - Hex Tubes possible to convert ” hex to ” hex without a broach
  • 1575A65 - Hinge with 2" hole spacing so you can just cut it and mount it directly to VersaFrame, etc
  • 9576T75 - Metal Buckle for battery strap, worked well this year, definitely stronger than the plastic ones we used in the past.
  • Zoro.com - Also we buy a lot of our stuff that you would normally get from McMaster from Zoro.com because it's normally cheaper and free shipping over $50 order event for oversized items like 8ft stock, etc. Plus they regularly have 20% off deals.

E. Vendator
K. Ross
A. Heard (973)
  • Keystone 4337 from digikey, mouser etc - We use them as small angle brackets... Probably had 100 on this year's robot. Combined with 2d parts they can make low resource compound angle 3d structure
  • If you like the angle brackets, you'll probably also like "Nylon Unthreaded Spacers" https://www.mcmaster.com/#unthreaded...acers/=1a4zr23
B. Simons
A. Britt (3478)R. Yarlagadda
B. Leverette
  • I am a fan of 6425K11 for a solenoid. Not small, but it shoves the air through. (But then, I know AutomationDirect probably has a competitor for 2/3 of the price; we ordered those from McMaster in 2015.)
  • 6338K421 was our weapon of choice in 2012 for the intake and elevator. We had a structure of 1" square tubing and wanted to use 1/2" hex shaft (because that was the best option of the day). So we turned the ends of each shaft

J. Killian
  • 18635A520 lazy susan... there's a lot of things I like from them but this one is really cool and fun to have.

K. Buchanan (1296)
  • "Deburring Wheel for grinder, 4628A21 (saves a lot of deburring time)"

Added

T. Miedzinski
  • 2282T35 (and similar) - Aluminum Conveyor Roller

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by AllenGregoryIV : 11-06-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Fixed Adams last name
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2017, 07:07 PM
TSIMFD
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery
Re: Favorite robot parts teams should know about

Flange-Mounted Linear Ball Bearing - 6483K63
https://www.mcmaster.com/#6483K63

For use with 1/2" steel* shaft to achieve linear motions.

*Aluminum shafts scratched too easily, causing binding issues with these bearings.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2017, 07:46 PM
do simple better
FRC #0558 (Elm City Robo Squad)

Justin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Foss has a reputation beyond repute

558 Loves McMaster. I'll try and post more later, but here's a first batch:

6529K15 - Miter Gears we used for our intake on VP Planetary Gearboxes
96225K41 - Metal "High Temp" Velcro on our Climber
5973K2 - Floating Chain Tensioners for #35 Chain
60185K919 - Awesome Yellow Grippy Rollers we used on our gear intake
38105K51 - Miniature Air Gauge
48435K71 - Awesome Pressure Relief (Legal 2017)
8514K53 - Sorbothane (super grippy sheet material)
92235A111 - Bolts to mount 775pros
5779K685 - Push in 90 degrees for plastic air tanks
2003-2006 | FRC 0176 | Aces High - Student
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

4450K91 Sintered brass muffler for quietly venting your pneumatics!

6341K94 Cold shrink tubing for making intake rollers without looking silly as you're wrestling your latex tube onto your bigger mandrel!

I also want to point folks to Tapeswitch, who makes an absolutely bulletproof ribbon switch and other goodies. We used their 121-BP stuck to the back wall of our gear grabber to detect an intaked gear, which then rumbled the driver's controller. The ribbon can be cut to length with scissors.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2017, 10:14 PM
FRC #4131 (Iron Patriots)

Rookie Year: 2012
Drakxii is a glorious beacon of lightDrakxii is a glorious beacon of lightDrakxii is a glorious beacon of lightDrakxii is a glorious beacon of lightDrakxii is a glorious beacon of light

McMaster Carr
1a58h9b - Electricians' Scissors my favorite scissors for everything.
7292K66 - Love these style of wire strippers.

Pantherbots Former Mentor, Distance Support - #2582 Lufkin, TX
Iron Patriots Software, Electronics and Pneumatic Mentor - #4131 Renton, WA
The Robot Inspector with the Red Beard
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2017, 11:31 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

This big crimper - Crimps battery cables like it's nobody's business. It doesn't ratchet, but it has enough leverage that it barely matters. The only issue is that it's not exact, since the measurements are in mm^2 and not AWG, but it does the job. (and it sure is better than the hammer crimper my team used to use)

XT60 connectors - I'm going to start a connector war in this thread by saying this, but these are probably the best high amperage connector for our robots since they're cheap, only require soldering, and are widely available online.

Neither of these appear to be on McMaster, but they're pretty useful.

Last edited by bobbysq : 11-06-2017 at 11:35 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2017, 11:35 PM
in hibernation
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs), FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

you left out 4933T15
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 04:23 AM
Breaking Out
AKA: Alastair
no team (Ozzy Boards)

Rookie Year: 2013
pilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond reputepilleya has a reputation beyond repute

I hope to expand on this post, as I have sources for quite a few handy products.

These are 48mm/1.9" Omni-wheels, come in 3 durometers and are reliable. Available with a 1/2" round bore for simple broaching to 1/2" hex.

https://www.rotacaster.com.au/shop/4...les---r2/index

Banebots sells 1.625" and 2" Colson wheels with a 1/2" Round bore, you can broach these yourself to reduce cost.

Bearings, you can never have enough bearings especially small ones. Buy small flanged bearings from Aliexpress for cost reduction and better mechanism packaging, I like 688's.

Flanged bushings such as 6338K481 are good for arms. ( thanks to Chris is me for this idea)

Ferrules!!! doesn't matter where you buy them from but CTRE sells good quality ones.

Last edited by pilleya : 11-07-2017 at 04:28 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Trying to kick the CD habit
AKA: Nicholas Dal Porto
FRC #5940 (B.R.E.A.D.)
Team Role: Student

frcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond repute
Favorite robot parts teams should know about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Russell View Post
you left out 4933T15

2701T35

82825T21 is another favorite

Team 5940: 2015-present

Technical Key Volunteer: 2016-present

Event Travel Spreadsheet
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 11:27 AM
That Guy
AKA: Phil
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)

Rookie Year: 2007
Cyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Russell View Post
you left out 4933T15
Definitely this one too: 4739T11
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 12:14 PM
#wheatcoastneatcoast
AKA: Devin Keeney
FRC #1982 (Cougar Robotics); Season Long Fantasy FIRST (WCNC)
Team Role: Leadership

Bkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant future

It's time to 5940T89.

Moderator on the FIRSTwiki

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 01:07 PM
Engineering Mentor
AKA: Brian O'Sullivan
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)

Rookie Year: 2002
Monochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkeeneykid View Post
It's time to 5940T89.
Anyone care to create a language where all syntax and linguistics are created through McMaster part numbers? If you think being fluent in Klingon is nerdy....

2017 | Industrial Design, Gracious Professionalism, NCCMP Winners, NC District - 1st Seed
2016 | Innovation In Controls, Industrial Design, Quality Award, NC District - 4th Seed
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 01:13 PM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)

bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcguy View Post
2701T35

82825T21 is another favorite
7131T49 is pretty useful for build season
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 01:33 PM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe 3049K85

Or for those late nights 3586T4, 3586T16, 3586T2, 52665T53, 52665T3, and 3586T14

In all seriousness, the actual suggestions in this thread are great, and I'd love to hear more of them
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2017, 01:40 PM
That Guy
AKA: Phil
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)

Rookie Year: 2007
Cyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant futureCyberphil has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
In all seriousness, the actual suggestions in this thread are great, and I'd love to hear more of them
Agreed. There are some amazing things in the original post that I will definitely be taking back to my own team.

But in all seriousness, who would buy creamer from McMaster?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: