OCCRA
Go to Post What's so bad about Matt? I mean, if the guy can explain PID so that even I can understand it, he can't be all that bad... - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 12:18 PM
User
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ideas to improve friendliness/graciousness on CD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartan47 View Post
Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding the nature of this statement, but I'm not sure I agree with it. I tend to think this is one of the important tenets of online forums including CD - allowing users to post their opinions and have healthy discussions of opposing viewpoints.

To your point and the original question, it's certainly important to maintain the line between healthy discussion of opposing viewpoints and personal attacks on the original poster. In order to accomplish this on CD, I at least personally tend to look up to and attempt to emulate some of the more respected posters within our community in how they are able to discuss topics/ask questions and maintain respect for others who may disagree with them
Did you see Woodie's talk this year about Facts and Opinions? I don't have a good link handy maybe someone does?

There's some things that are inherently opinion (how you feel about a game, what you thought went well at an event) but also some things that are inherently facts (robots shouldn't weigh more than 120 pounds, XYZ motor controller isn't allowed). My objection is that frankly an opinion of "well I think XYZ motor controller should be legal" in the middle of the season is pretty darn worthless and contributes nothing.

This doesn't address the "well it's my opinion so it can't be wrong" when it CAN be proved wrong with some research (example - you can't cut steel on a grizzly mill).

Then there's the opinions presented as facts ("my regional is the best cuz I say it is and you can't argue", inherently an opinion BUT stated as a fact, also just comes across as a jerk) which are annoying for reasons that REALLY should be obvious. They are also completely without value, and generally make me think far less of the person posting them.

Basically, opinions are fine where they make sense - if I asked you about your favorite set of wrenches I expect an opinion. If I ask you if a district system would be more expensive for a team that currently attends 2 regionals and maybe CMP if they qualify I don't expect an opinion I expect a fact with, maybe, your assumptions laid out in addition to it.

#17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 12:48 PM
6th Gear Developer; Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
no team (6th Gear)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Serious counterpoint to D:

If the old thread is over about a year old (depending on context, of course--use best judgement) sometimes the better option is to start a new thread and reference the old one. Otherwise you get the "Holy ancient thread revival, Batman!" (or similar) response.
I know - And that (insert string of adjectives here) response is one that makes some (many?) peoples' blood boil (leading to less than civil moods that leak into conversations). I have a fine soapbox and a long list of talking points ready, if it's needed.

Ancient knowledge isn't ancient. It's just knowledge.

Blake
PS: In keeping with my suggestions... Here is a thread" about "On being rude..." It includes exchanges about RTFM'ing.
Here are the messages in one exchange:
One
Two
Three
Four
Five This one is my favorite (The fact that I wrote it doesn't hurt ).
Words/phrases I avoid: basis, mitigate, leveraging, transitioning, impact (instead of affect/effect), facilitate, programmatic, problematic, issue (instead of problem), latency (instead of delay), dependency (instead of prerequisite), connectivity, usage & utilize (instead of use), downed, functionality, functional, power on, descore, alumni (instead of alumnus/alumna), the enterprise, methodology, nomenclature, form factor (instead of size or shape), competency, modality, provided(with), provision(ing), irregardless/irrespective, signage, colorized, pulsating, ideate

Last edited by gblake : 11-11-2017 at 01:14 PM.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 12:56 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperkowsky View Post
Avoid personal attacks and use the reputation button less frequently.

Pretty disheartening for a new member to get red dotted into oblivion because their opinion differed from a few others people. You shouldn't red dot someone unless they truly are out of line.
I agree on this, though I would instead promote the usage of green or neutral rep. I've never given a red--not that there haven't been times I've wanted to--but I'm not afraid to use a neutral as, if you will, a "warning shot" to convey a similar message. Or I'll send a PM. (The other advantage of a neutral: If a red is really warranted, and you've already given a neutral, you gotta spread the rep around before giving the red... which gives plenty of time for the offender to mend his/her ways.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 01:08 PM
AKA: Erik Yngstrom
FRC #1768
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2015
FrisbeeFunTime will become famous soon enoughFrisbeeFunTime will become famous soon enough

To me in order for an internet board to be taken seriously the physical restrictions within that board have to only be done to a point. What i mean by this is that you have have to be careful with what you ban or how you punish because if you aren't and you start banning stuff like unpopular opinions then you're website starts to become a hard thing to endorse. To me CD has gone as far as it can while still being taken seriously with regards to banning stuff. Beyond this point would be banning stuff like non-popular opinions or banning certain non-swear words for some reason.
That being said I do agree that there can be some stuff on the website that can be added to make it better. I agree with nomythicalbeast on adding in a way to denote sarcasm through a little button or something rather than just having to say that its sarcasm.
The main thing really that should affect how CD looks at friendliness is educating people. For instance, on CD if someone has green rep whatever level they have you usually don't pay attention but if someone has red rep then you kind look at it like what bad thing did they do only to find that it wasn't that they said something bad but rather they hold an unpopular opinion. Too many times on CD I've seen the rep function used to diminish peoples unpopular opinions rather than punishing an account for undesirable behavior.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Heading to Indiana State for ComSci
AKA: Logan Kreisher
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
logank013 has a reputation beyond reputelogank013 has a reputation beyond reputelogank013 has a reputation beyond reputelogank013 has a reputation beyond reputelogank013 has a reputation beyond reputelogank013 has a reputation beyond reputelogank013 has a reputation beyond reputelogank013 has a reputation beyond reputelogank013 has a reputation beyond reputelogank013 has a reputation beyond reputelogank013 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this whole problem can be summed up by the word "professionalism", and that's not just because this is a FIRST orientated website. I noticed that as soon as I started being careful of what I was saying and acted more like an adult, I got far less criticism than when I first joined.

I used to be a complete bozo on chief who said the first thing that came to mind and never proofread anything. Now, I always read my posts at least 3 times before posting it, and I usually try to address the people of chief like they were a professor or boss (with the exception of threads that are meant to be silly ie: unofficial caption contests). I think a lot of the main issues mentors have with students on this website is how they come on here, and truly act like kids (like I used to). I can honestly accredit CD with "growing up" my online communication skills.

Of course this only is for student vs mentor arguments. Most mentor vs. mentor arguments, I'm not really sure how to fix.
Offseason 2 Wins (CORI: 234, 2614, 3266) (CAGE: 234, 868, 2791?), IRI, and IndyRAGE

2016 Regular Season (w/ 234)
1 NC District (Guilford: QF), 2 IN Districts (Warren: QF) (Perry: QF), and 1 DCMP (Indiana: QF)
Offseason IRI, Boiler Bot Battle, CAGE, and IndyRAGE

2017 Regular Season (w/ 234) 2 District Wins (Tippecanoe: 234, 1018, 4926) (Perry: 1501, 234, 2197), 1 DCMP (Indiana: QF), and 1 Half-Worlds (Curie: QF)

#21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

As I indicated in this post, I find that CD is doing a considerable amount already to ensure friendliness/graciousness, especially compared to the many anonymous/no consequence environments available throughout the internet. We are already well up this ladder, so let's take it from there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblake View Post
This suggestion is being written half "tongue-in-cheek", and half deadly-serious.A) Asking simple questions without first searching for the answer on your own is a bit rude,

B) Asking about a complex topic without first searching on your own should be done by asking for help doing a search, not by asking for "the answer",
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post
Conversely, if someone posts a question and is new to the forums, responding along the lines of "Use the search bar, jeez" is also rude. Most people are turned off of hobbies when on their first encounter with the community they are called out for doing things the wrong way. But, maybe that's why CD seems like such a nice place? You won't have any low quality posts if everyone is afraid to post!
This is a close analog to a situation I've dealt with in church many times over several decades (from before I was a parent, to after all my children had moved on). Several times, I've asked people somewhat provocatively: "Yes, but you know what's worse than hearing children in church?", my answer being "Not having children in church." We have to make a route for people to become members of chief delphi, preferably in a matter of hours, days, and weeks. If it takes months and years, we will rarely if ever have students contributing to the discussion. If we do this, CD will quickly become the "mentor echo chamber" and will be shut down when the last key member retires or dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadandcookies View Post
I view "Please search the archives" as a sort of kindness in even posting in the thread. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskieProgramme View Post
As a counterpoint to B, remember the xy problem is usually present when this does happen. In many cases I would prefer someone to ask about their problem generally than ask about a solution which does not solve the problem.
Quote:
Serious counterpoint to D:

If the old thread is over about a year old (depending on context, of course--use best judgement) sometimes the better option is to start a new thread and reference the old one. Otherwise you get the "Holy ancient thread revival, Batman!" (or similar) response.
In my finding, whether starting fresh or necro-ing an old thread is entirely situational. It is admittedly much easier to necro a non-closed thread than it is to create a new one, but somehow users manage to create duplicate threads easily enough, especially during build season. The only real solution to this issue I can see is to auto-close threads after some defined period, perhaps 12 or 18 months. I really would NOT like to do that! While necro-ing an ancient thread is disrupting to the current situation, it can be delightfully enlightening to those of us who have only been here a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbuns View Post
Honestly, I think anonymity contributes to a lot of the unfriendlyness/trolling here. I think that this is a forum where it's okay for people to know who you are, and especially which team you represent.

I'm not one to move against anonymous accounts, since there are certainly valid times to have anonymous accounts (eg. asking about internal team issues, Looking Forward). However, anonymous accounts (from what I've seen) cause a disproportionate amount of trouble.
I have to agree with the first part here. The lack of anonymity is what makes CD, in the terms of the post I first linked above, an armed society. I would be in favor of requiring no name/no team accounts have special dispensation of the moderators. This wouldn't be perfect, but it would cut down on the unnecessary anonymous accounts.

Quote:

Pretty disheartening for a new member to get red dotted into oblivion because their opinion differed from a few others people. You shouldn't red dot someone unless they truly are out of line.
I have been far from being "red dotted into oblivion", but it is still disheartening to get a red dot for telling a (n apparently non-offensive) joke or expressing an unpopular opinion in a respectful way. TBH, I have also received a few negative reps I accept that I did deserve when I posted while cross.

Quote:
I agree on this, though I would instead promote the usage of green or neutral rep...
I absolutely promote the usage of green rep, and am trying to do so more as time goes on.

However, I see absolutely no function to neutral rep that cannot be met with a PM (private message). There are two differences: If you PM, the person will be able to see that there is a PM the next time [s]he logs in to make a post; unless they change the user's overall status/class, the rep is invisible until/unless the user clicks on "user cp". The other is that if the person you messaged pulls a really boneheaded move a few days later (or, for that matter, does something really gracious), you can follow up with a negative/positive rep if you PM'd, but you are locked out if you did a "neutral" PM until you rep nine other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Did you see Woodie's talk this year about Facts and Opinions? I don't have a good link handy maybe someone does?
No, please provide a link!

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 12:15 AM
no team

FRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these partsFRCForever is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
As I indicated in this post,
I have to agree with the first part here. The lack of anonymity is what makes CD, in the terms of the post I first linked above, an armed society. I would be in favor of requiring no name/no team accounts have special dispensation of the moderators. This wouldn't be perfect, but it would cut down on the unnecessary anonymous accounts.

I have been far from being "red dotted into oblivion", but it is still disheartening to get a red dot for telling a (n apparently non-offensive) joke or expressing an unpopular opinion in a respectful way. TBH, I have also received a few negative reps I accept that I did deserve when I posted while cross.
Just because one of this topic's apparent focuses is anonymous accounts, I will post my reasoning behind being anonymous here.

For a while, I had my team's name, number, city, and state all listed on my account.
Unfortunately, I decided to remove all of that information because my unpopular opinions/views apparently offended a number of users in a couple different controversial areas, and I was blasted with both a large amount of negative rep and accompanying messages, some of which stated things that downright scared me.

Because of my experience, what I say here will probably biased, but I think the vast majority of these anonymous accounts come from users that stated unpopular opinions and/or used sarcasm without warning; that were then neg-repped/threatened into oblivion, and then proceeded to make the change to anonymity to avoid that level of criticism.

TL : DR: I believe that at least part of the CD community (possibly including myself) is too hostile to newcomers that may not know the rules; or may state an unpopular opinion without first gaining experience about the community.

I am NOT here to start an off-topic war. I am simply stating my past experiences, views, and possible causes/fixes.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 12:48 AM
no team (6th Gear)

gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is a close analog to a situation I've dealt with in church many times over several decades (from before I was a parent, to after all my children had moved on). Several times, I've asked people somewhat provocatively: "Yes, but you know what's worse than hearing children in church?", my answer being "Not having children in church."
In Church, I vote for the obvious third and fourth options: A nursery, and a service for small children that complements the one designed for adults. It's not an either/or situation.

That analogy isn't my favorite.
Words/phrases I avoid: basis, mitigate, leveraging, transitioning, impact (instead of affect/effect), facilitate, programmatic, problematic, issue (instead of problem), latency (instead of delay), dependency (instead of prerequisite), connectivity, usage & utilize (instead of use), downed, functionality, functional, power on, descore, alumni (instead of alumnus/alumna), the enterprise, methodology, nomenclature, form factor (instead of size or shape), competency, modality, provided(with), provision(ing), irregardless/irrespective, signage, colorized, pulsating, ideate
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 01:00 AM
no team (6th Gear)

Quote:
In my finding, whether starting fresh or necro-ing an old thread is entirely situational. It is admittedly much easier to necro a non-closed thread than it is to create a new one, but somehow users manage to create duplicate threads easily enough, especially during build season. The only real solution to this issue I can see is to auto-close threads after some defined period, perhaps 12 or 18 months. I really would NOT like to do that! While necro-ing an ancient thread is disrupting to the current situation, it can be delightfully enlightening to those of us who have only been here a few years.
Auto-close.
Please, no, no, no

Instead let's teach students that searching to find an existing answer, that adding to an existing body of knowledge, and that not dispersing related information across overlapping, low-SNR, piles of chit-chat; are the right ways to run a railroad.

The world does not begin anew every time the sun rises, or every time the earth completes a trip around Sun.

Blake
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 01:33 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblake View Post
Auto-close.
Please, no, no, no

Instead let's teach students that searching to find an existing answer, that adding to an existing body of knowledge, and that not dispersing related information across overlapping, low-SNR, piles of chit-chat; are the right ways to run a railroad.

The world does not begin anew every time the sun rises, or every time the earth completes a trip around Sun.

Blake
On the other hand, the last time archiver officially came out of hiding he was coding CD-Media instead of archiving. Might not hurt for Brandon to let him out again.

(I do see that game-specific threads tend to get locked after a couple of years.)

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 01:49 AM
User
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, please provide a link!
I'll see if I can dig up a link to one that isn't shot through the pipe and drape tomorrow.

#27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 02:59 PM
North America Marketing
no team

Rookie Year: 2016
CMBrandon has a reputation beyond reputeCMBrandon has a reputation beyond reputeCMBrandon has a reputation beyond reputeCMBrandon has a reputation beyond reputeCMBrandon has a reputation beyond reputeCMBrandon has a reputation beyond reputeCMBrandon has a reputation beyond reputeCMBrandon has a reputation beyond reputeCMBrandon has a reputation beyond reputeCMBrandon has a reputation beyond reputeCMBrandon has a reputation beyond repute

Any time you get passionate people together that have differing opinions you're going to get conflict. Whether it is constructive or not depends on the people. In my experience, that can be hard with the younger crowd. There are literally people posting in this thread championing the opposite of what they practice.

Sponsored Teams: 4, 207, 254, 589, 599, 696, 702, 900, 1138, 1868, 1923, 2135, 2485, 2601, 3476, 4050, 4159, 4481, 4999, 5012, 5499, 5510, 5883, 5996, 6008, 6220
Cooler Master Invitational
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

tl;dr

CD is one of the most civil boards around, with a relatively good signal-to-noise ratio. Not a lot of hate here.

That being said, peer pressure is a powerful tool. Getting ridiculed in public* or privately for doing something ridiculous has a positive effect. And it absolutely helps most people grow in professionalism, just like in real life.

*Not viciously. mind you, just getting called out on it. Graciously.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 07:10 PM
FRC #2370 (iBots)

Rookie Year: 2009
droswell is a splendid one to beholddroswell is a splendid one to beholddroswell is a splendid one to beholddroswell is a splendid one to beholddroswell is a splendid one to beholddroswell is a splendid one to beholddroswell is a splendid one to beholddroswell is a splendid one to behold

Being a mentor for the past few years, I'm sure I've made some mistakes, done some things that unintentionally didn't leave a good impression with other teams, forgot my GP at home, or simply got frustrated. But most of those were IRL.

I have time to rethink my posts on CD, but in the middle of an emotional event things stuff happens. I was thinking it would be nice to get feedback from other teams on things we need to work on, impressions (bad or good) that they gotten from us, etc. Some sort of GP score. It's be interesting to have a system (maybe built into CD) where teams could provide this kind of feedback,

Most anonymous feedback systems turn into disasters though, so I don't know how you prevent it from turning south. Just a thought.

#30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 10:57 AM
FRC #0320 (Pyongyang Academy of Denim)

Rookie Year: 2014
piersklein is a name known to allpiersklein is a name known to allpiersklein is a name known to allpiersklein is a name known to allpiersklein is a name known to allpiersklein is a name known to all

Quote:

My two rules for this are:

1. Only give positive rep to new accounts. The more encouraged people feel to post, the better.

2. Don't give negative rep if more than a day has passed. Chances are someone else already did and repeating it isn't needed.

I used to know what I was doing. But then I went on CD and they sorted me out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: