OCCRA
Go to Post I have always been of the opinion that if the mechanicals are making noise they are trying to talk to you. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 10:30 AM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Josh61 View Post
Is there any code i can take a look at to get an idea of how to code in either arcade 2 stick or arcade with throttles?
If you look at my links above, the link for what we settled on is the 'arcade 2 stick' you want. If you want 2 joysticks instead of 1 controller, it's a simple matter of mapping the different Joystick objects' axes to the different methods.

I say 'simple' because it's something you'll want to be fundamentally good at once your drivers start giving feedback of how they like to drive.

Drive Coach, 1885 (2007-present)
Latest Project: Codex-based FRC Comms in Java

2017: Scoring Model | COPR Rank Simulator
1885: YouTube Channel | CAD Library | GitHub
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 10:40 AM
\_(ツ)_/
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

To do two stick arcade with WPILib, you have to pass the values from each joystick into the method, as you cannot call arcadeDrive by referencing more than one joystick axis directly. It's a little annoying but nothing too difficult to do.
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 12:15 PM
FRC #0885 (Bruce Force Trauma)

Rookie Year: 2015
SpruceyBrucey is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally use what we call "Norm Drive" (based on the mentor that came up with it). You use a Logitech 3 axis joystick, assign forward and backward to Y and turning to Z, add a turning speed multiplier in the code and your good. Then basically what you have is forward and backwards are forward and backwards, and turning left/right is turning left/right. Maybe I'm just crazy but I'd never use anything else.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceyBrucey View Post
I personally use what we call "Norm Drive" (based on the mentor that came up with it). You use a Logitech 3 axis joystick, assign forward and backward to Y and turning to Z, add a turning speed multiplier in the code and your good. Then basically what you have is forward and backwards are forward and backwards, and turning left/right is turning left/right. Maybe I'm just crazy but I'd never use anything else.
Kids who are good at flying the Apaches in the Battlefield series (particularly the old school Desert Combat mod for CS) would love this style. Of course, I cheated. Since I learned to fly via the Descent series, I re-mapped the axes to match the controls in those games, which then made some crazy tricks in the DC mod possible.

I was very surprised about how intuitive split arcade on a controller felt for skid-steer drive trains.

Drive Coach, 1885 (2007-present)
Latest Project: Codex-based FRC Comms in Java

2017: Scoring Model | COPR Rank Simulator
1885: YouTube Channel | CAD Library | GitHub
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 01:35 PM
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
noah.gleason has a reputation beyond reputenoah.gleason has a reputation beyond reputenoah.gleason has a reputation beyond reputenoah.gleason has a reputation beyond reputenoah.gleason has a reputation beyond reputenoah.gleason has a reputation beyond reputenoah.gleason has a reputation beyond reputenoah.gleason has a reputation beyond reputenoah.gleason has a reputation beyond reputenoah.gleason has a reputation beyond reputenoah.gleason has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Josh61 View Post
Is there any code i can take a look at to get an idea of how to code in either arcade 2 stick or arcade with throttles?
You can see our (commented!) OI code here.

We use an OIArcadeWithDpad, with the rotation throttle being a ThrottlePolynomial and the forwards throttle being a ThrottleSum of the triggers, each represented by a ThrottlePolynomial. The map we construct it from is here, scroll down to "oi" for the relevant part.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 01:41 PM
AKA: Jake Young
FRC #1319 (Flash)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2012
jakeyoung22 will become famous soon enough

I prefer tank. Going into my third year driving, I've used both arcade and tank. In 2016 I used arcade because my predecessor suggested it. The entire season I felt as if I was not in control of the robot and never even mentioned it to my team because I'd never driven before. Yes, tank is harder to control at first but once it starts to become fluid you gain much more control over your robot. Maneuvering around defense and lining up to a target is much easier in tank. Tank drive takes a while to completely master so I suggest getting as much stick time as possible. After switching to tank in 2017, it was like clockwork. I felt much more confident opening the robot up to full speed with tank drive.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Patrick Hurley
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
phurley67 will become famous soon enough

Our drivers generally prefer tank programmers use arcade and we use arcade for most of our demos. I would like it if the drivers liked arcade, we can provide an easier drive straight, etc. But end of the day, going to try and make the driver happy.

#38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 04:54 PM
AKA: Jordan
FRC #2708 (Lake Effect Robotics)
Team Role: Operator

Yossarian is an unknown quantity at this point

I love tank drive, it's the most intuitive thing to me. However...

Learning to drive competitively is just like learning anything else that is considered a skill: practice makes near perfect. I remember driving the robot as a 1st year member, and I crashed into a lot of things. I was happy we had bumpers. Over the years, I continued to practice and honed my skills. I am the 2nd best driver on the team (v. close behind my driver buddy from this year), and it's all because of practice.

A few practice tips:

1) If your team has access to a longer piece of carpet, practice extensively at high speeds. This will end up helping your control at speed at competition.

2) If your team has access to more than one driveable robot, practice by recruiting someone else to drive the other robot, and practice playing against defense, and playing defense.

3) If your robot preforms an element of the game well (like scaling for us), create drills to make your performance as efficient as possible. For example, our scaling is really quick, and we have a powerful drive-train. We have a drill called "The 6-second Climb" where we start at the other end of our carpet, race back to our scaling platform, and climb in as little time as possible.

4) Think about what you felt went poorly in terms of driving at STEMley. Practice those aspects, it will probably help you in 2018.

5) Re-watch match videos (if you have them, if not, definitely invest in a camera or something for 2018, they are extremely useful), and identify things that went well, and situations where you could have improved.

6) This is a fun one: Practice driving backwards. Do all normal tasks, but reversing the robot instead of going forwards. Really helps in both directions.

Hope that helped!
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 04:59 PM
AKA: Jacob C.
FRC #2883 (Fighting Rednecks Engineering & Design)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
Sir_Fenwick is a jewel in the roughSir_Fenwick is a jewel in the roughSir_Fenwick is a jewel in the rough

My team has used a Xbox 360 controller (or a knockoff, the official sometimes bug out) and a quasi-tank drive.
The robot steers with a single stick of the controller, so similar to the way you would drive a vehicle in a video game. Pretty simple, forward has both sides go forward, left makes one side go forward and the other reverse (likewise, right does the opposite), with all values in between falling somewhere between (not a very eloquent explanation, but you get the idea). Quasi-tank because it is mostly a drop wheel tank drive, but not all wheels are the same, the rear 2 being a omni. This allows for smooth rear drifting, and makes the system run very smoothly. Little adjustments wont cause the same jerky motion tank drives can be prone to.
This has many benefits, chiefly that we can take a member who is good at video games and hand them the remote and they will be pretty effective with little training, and very effective with training. Another is that it the entire drive station takes up almost no room, just the laptop and the remote.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 05:04 PM
AKA: Jordan
FRC #2708 (Lake Effect Robotics)
Team Role: Operator

Yossarian is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Fenwick View Post
My team has used a Xbox 360 controller (or a knockoff, the official sometimes bug out) and a quasi-tank drive.
The robot steers with a single stick of the controller, so similar to the way you would drive a vehicle in a video game. Pretty simple, forward has both sides go forward, left makes one side go forward and the other reverse (likewise, right does the opposite), with all values in between falling somewhere between (not a very eloquent explanation, but you get the idea). Quasi-tank because it is mostly a drop wheel tank drive, but not all wheels are the same, the rear 2 being a omni. This allows for smooth rear drifting, and makes the system run very smoothly. Little adjustments wont cause the same jerky motion tank drives can be prone to.
This has many benefits, chiefly that we can take a member who is good at video games and hand them the remote and they will be pretty effective with little training, and very effective with training. Another is that it the entire drive station takes up almost no room, just the laptop and the remote.
Interesting. 2809's old 2013 robot utilized this system, however most if not all of our current members think that it's really unnatural. This may be due to the robot being really old and poorly cared for. The controls were too sensitive and not consistent enough, so we switched it back to tank drive.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Fenwick View Post
...forward has both sides go forward, left makes one side go forward and the other reverse (likewise, right does the opposite), with all values in between falling somewhere between (not a very eloquent explanation, but you get the idea)...
Unless I'm missing a detail somewhere, that sounds like arcade drive.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monochron View Post
What games control using Tank? Aside from that sweet Pod Racer game. Man, what a gem.
Battle Zone!

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 11-16-2017 at 11:36 PM.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 07:28 PM
Founder/Driver #TSIMFD
AKA: Benjamin Louttit
FRC #7307 (JetStream)
Team Role: Driver

BENL is on a distinguished road

I have used split arcade in the past with a game controller and it seems to work very well. It gives a good combination of controllability and speed. You can also do some more advanced stuff with it like exponential speed for finer control and continuous radius turning to improve performance if needed.
2018 - Founder, Driver

Winner Las Vegas Regional

2018-??? - FRC 7307 JetStream
2015-2017 - FRC 2637 Phantom Catz
2010-2014 - FLL 270 Tech Turtles
2009 - FLL 179 OuTeRRoBoTiCs
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 10:22 PM
AKA: Hunter Greene
FRC #4272 (Maverick Boiler Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Hgree56 will become famous soon enoughHgree56 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monochron View Post
What games control using Tank? Aside from that sweet Pod Racer game. Man, what a gem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothron Theiss View Post
Lawn mowing simulator?
I have no idea. I think it was some fighter pilot game. I know he's also has driven zero-point turn lawn mowers for the past 6 years.
IN Perry M. 8th seed cap. QF w/ (4926 & 3180)
2017 IN Tipp. 1st seed and Finalist w/ (1501 & 447)

Thanks to our alliance partners: 337, 4213, 5403, 4008, 3487, 4580, 1501, 447, 4926, 3180, 71, 4982, 494, 1918, 3098, 5406, 1746, 910

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: