OCCRA
Go to Post The purpose of the game rules is not to imagine and categorically list everything you should not do, but to give you guidelines of FIRST's intent and leave it to your developing good judgment to know what's acceptable and what is simply skirting the rules. - Mark McLeod [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Use Of Punctuation In A Post And What Is Annoying or Confusing

This is a direct quote from Mr. Dave Lavery that I have displayed in my classroom:

"In the professional world, spelling mistakes, grammatical shortcuts, leet-speek, and misused verbiage are not interpreted as signs of cute, efficient communications. They are indicators of illiteracy, inefficiency, unprofessional behavior, and sloppy work habits."

Also, it should be noted that Jane's impromptu haikus are exempt from the aforementioned rules.

Rick TYler is now my new favorite CD person.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Grow Up? Why?
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Steve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond repute

Very good thread. I have made it a sticky so it can be seen at the top of the general forum.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:29 AM
FRC #0365 (MOE)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Carol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
To add to Jane and Andy posts above. Please remember that the only communication you have with all of the members here is through your writing. Those who read what you post may not meet you face to face, this year or next. Make a good impression by reading your post before submitting. If you are posting in a volatile thread, take some time to think out your response. I sometimes take a few hours or even a day so that I can simmer down on an emotional issue before I post.

A personal request for me is to complete your online profile. In that way, I will know your name when responding. I still find it hard to begin a post with "Dear Robogeekfromsomewherebeyondthegalaxy". Dear Jason or Amanda is so much nicer. On engineering replies, it is helpful for mentors to know that they are composing a response for a student, an alumni or a mentor.
If I can chime in with my personal request as well, also complete your location in your profile with not just the city but the state and country if needed. (Yes, we are unfortunately US centric, so it is assumed you are in the US unless otherwise stated).

Similarly to NickE's post, don't assume everyone is familiar with your geographic area as well. If I talk about an event happening in Odessa, how many of you will know I probably mean Odessa, Delaware and not Odessa, Ukraine. Or Houston, DE and not Houston, TX, or Grove City, OH and not Grove City, PA, or....

(is that proper use of ellipses?)

MOE 2007 Chairman's Video by MOE video team and Paul Lazarus http://moe365.org/CHMN_AWD_video_2008.php
MOE 10-Year Video Celebration on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcSMUBUqEs
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:23 AM
User
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I learned it in middle school. It's annoying and useless if you have a basic understanding of how a sentence is written. Which you have to in order to use them.
You would be surprised at the number of people who don't have a basic understanding of how a sentence is written. Obviously that skill was merely glossed over because I see people either not caring enough to do it right or just being ignorant of the fact that they can't write a coherent sentence. When a professor or a customer repeatedly demonstrates their lack of ability to communicate I quickly lose respect for them.

#35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:26 AM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
When a professor or a customer repeatedly demonstrates their lack of ability to communicate I quickly lose respect for them.
I only lose respect for my customers when they stopping buying things from me.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:27 AM
AKA: Will
FRC #0955 (CV Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Fe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler View Post
And that's the truth.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:38 AM
User
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I take great pride in all communication at work. It isn't merely demonstrating a lack of intelligence, not bothering to check your spelling demonstrates a lack of caring about your company. When you communicate with a supplier or a customer you represent your company, if you are going to appear as an ignorant fool then I am going to assume that your entire company is that way.

#38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
AKA: Paul W. Johnson
no team

Pjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ah, the mark of a great capitalist!
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

In the engineering world, clear communication skills are prized and valued. I'm told this on a consistent basis by engineers that I know and respect. Consider the skills needed for writing college applications and then take that a step further and consider the value placed on those writing skills when submitting resumes for potential jobs. The person on the reading end of the submission is going to be receiving an impression of the applicant and may well sort that application into the thanks-but-no-thanks pile, based on how well the document was crafted and how the levels of experience were communicated. Please also bear in mind that the reader/potential boss has the opportunity to enjoy reading the information provided. If it is painful, the resume or application doesn't stand a chance of opening the door to opportunity.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 11-06-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: tweaking
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 11:05 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
When you communicate with a supplier or a customer you represent your company, if you are going to appear as an ignorant fool then I am going to assume that your entire company is that way.
This is important enough to repeat: If somebody has no experience with a group, or if they have some that is good, all it takes is one person to mess up in some way to make the entire group look bad.

I've seen these cases here: One person (supposedly) affiliated with team X says something that is, shall we say, less than tactful/less than true, making team X look like that person until another member of team X says "We don't think this way" and calls them out. It's not a pretty picture.

If I'm representing an institution, I make sure that I behave in a manner that represents the institution's views and character. It's just the best policy.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

Last edited by GaryVoshol : 11-07-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: fixed quote
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 11:27 AM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post
my inner editor began flailing and twitching as soon as they realized that that entire thing was one sentence
Emphasis added. The Earth must be irony all the way to the core.
The singular use of they is a somewhat reasonable way of expressing concepts that would otherwise be clumsy. English lacks a gender-indeterminate or -neutral singular pronoun that can refer to a specific subject (one doesn't work when the subject is identified). Granted, in the above example, one could have substituted "it" if one* didn't mind forgoing the implied personification of the "inner editor"; otherwise, the canonical way to express that would have been to employ "he or she", or to imply a particular gender (both of which could potentially distort the intended meaning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung
Use Of Punctuation In A Post And What Is Annoying or Confusing
Since this thread concerns writing style, may I be permitted to take Jane to task for her aberrant capitalization?

*See how clumsy "one" can be, despite the sentence being conditional?
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 11:39 AM
AKA: Paul W. Johnson
no team

Pjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond reputePjohn1959 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Lall View Post
Since this thread concerns writing style, may I be permitted to take Jane to task for her aberrant capitalization?
No, but thanks for asking.
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Lall View Post
Sure you can, Tristan.

Considering my penchant for editing, it may be a good thing that I can't edit titles or I really would confuse readers in CD. I did proof but managed to overlook the mistake. Thanks for catching it.

Jane

P.S. Paul, you are so funny. Thank you.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Jane -

Thank you for creating this thread, and spotlighting a topic that can never receive too much attention. Clarity in communication is as important now, in the age of text messages, tweets, blogs, chats and Facebook posts, as it has ever been.

Engineers (and many, many others) still live in a world that is dominated by the written word. If you hope to be successful in that community, then you must be able to write clearly and effectively. Your audience will frequently span the entire spectrum of age groups, ethnic backgrounds, socio-economic strata, and academic disciplines. They will not all be conversant in the latest HaXoR translation of "7|-|i$ i$ n07 /-\ hin7." Such shortcuts - along with poor grammar, bad punctuation, and spelling errors - are to be avoided like the plague.

Remember, you are the one trying to communicate your idea to your audience. It is your responsibility to make your message as clear and understandable as possible. It is not their responsibility to translate your garble into something intelligible. If you try to make it so, your audience will simply walk away in frustration, and your ultimate goal - communicating your idea - will be lost.

And yes, you will definitely want to bump this thread as the build season starts.

-dave

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2009, 01:37 PM
\_(ツ)_/
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
"7|-|i$ i$ n07 /-\ hin7."
I see what you did there.

(Extra Side Note: Try not to get the point of Dave's post lost while looking for what this is not.)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: