OCCRA
Go to Post Eating at Pappy's is the only St Louis activity for me. - Cory [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.71 average. Display Modes
  #106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2014, 03:05 PM
FRC #5125

Powerserg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Use Of Punctuation In A Post And What Is Annoying or Confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Using proper capitalization and spacing can help improve legibility.

In addition to helping with legibility proper punctuation will help get your point across. For example, if someone posts:

I will immediately stop reading. It shows a couple things about you, primarily that you don't care. It also reflects negatively on your school, your family, and yourself. Don't say anything you might regret 3 years from now when you are looking for a job. It will still be here, attached to your name and indexed by Google.

The above being true, I am not a grammar cop. I will never be a grammar cop. I may say something to you about repeated abuses of the English language but I assure you that it is just letting you know you should take a look at it. EDIT: If you ever think I am being a grammar cop call me on it.

One last comment, misspellings and punctuation mistakes are fine. Don't be afraid to post because you are worried about your spelling or grammar. If you are REALLY afraid either read it in your head (remember, a comma usually means pause) and if it feels awkward ask someone to help you.

Oh, and use the Preview and Edit post buttons!
I Agree! Nobody wants to read something with bad spelling. It's alright for someone who accidentally has small grammar mistakes, but someone who does it purposely is no exception. Like those cat quotes," I LIK SANDWITCHES!" is really bad. Its alright to do it as a joke, but not as an actual sentence.

Last edited by Powerserg : 03-02-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Mistake on quote
  #107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2014, 03:38 PM
FRC #5125

Andrew Taylor will become famous soon enough

Hey guys my team and I (FRC 5125) are having some trouble fundraising and getting sponsors. Does anybody have helpful ideas or recommendations?
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2014, 03:39 PM
FRC #5125

Fundraising and Sponsors

Hey guys my team and I (FRC 5125) are having some trouble fundraising and getting sponsors. Does anybody have helpful ideas or recommendations?
  #109   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Figuring out what's next
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2012
Jacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fundraising and Sponsors

First of all, this is probably the wrong thread to ask that question. However, since I'd imagine that this is a somewhat urgent matter (it is Week 1 and all), I'll give you a few tips:
  • Make, find, and use connections. If a team member's parent owns a business, try to have them sponsor you. Your mentors' places of work may also be willing to help out.
  • Have a standard(ish) paragraph that you send to potential sponsors. This will keep your message consistent, as well as lessening the chance that you'll misrepresent FIRST or your team in a hastily dashed off email.
  • Go to tech industry conferences (though other business conferences could also work). The people there are usually attached to decently sized corporations, and if they see your robot and/or program and think that it's cool they'll be more likely to sponsor you than if you just cold-called them.
  • Talk to other teams in your area. A quick look at the Midwest Regional (the one you're going to) shows that 54 teams are currently registered. All of them have sponsors and most of them have years of experience in FRC. Some of the better teams there include 71, 111, and 1675. Talk to them -- you never know what could come of it.***

*** Making friends with really good teams never hurts, either.

NEFIRST Volunteer | 2017-????
Team 1540 | 2012-2016
7 Chairman's Awards, 6 other awards, 2015 Dean's List Finalist, 1 event win, 2 finalist finishes. Thanks for an amazing ride.
  #110   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2014, 04:01 PM
FRC #5125

Fundraising and Sponsors

Hey guys it is my team (FRC 5125) first year in FRC. We need help fundraising and getting sponsors. Does anybody have any ideas?
  #111   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:37 PM
meme lord supreme
FRC #0503 (Frog Force)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2011
AndrewPospeshil is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewPospeshil is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewPospeshil is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewPospeshil is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewPospeshil is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewPospeshil is a glorious beacon of light

Although I agree that proper grammar is very important in conveying your message in text form, remember that English is not everybody's first langauge. Also, many people have disabilities that hinder their ability to know when they are/aren't using conventions properly. Don't automatically judge a post as "worthless" if they don't type in a way that you deem fit. On the flipside, typing like how you would on social media sites/texting is not the best idea. If you ave any control over it, use your best English on a professional website such as this one, especially when representing not only your team but FIRST.

university of michigan 〽️
class of 2021
computer science
-----
frog force frc 503
2013-2017
3 DCA, 3 DCCA
dean's list nominee
  #112   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2015, 12:15 AM
Apfel πthon
FRC #2067 (Apple Pi)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
SamCyanide is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Use Of Punctuation In A Post And What Is Annoying or Confusing

Why Is The Title Of This Post Using Reddit Capitalization?
  #113   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2015, 02:05 AM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCyanide View Post
Is that not how you capitalize a title?

#114   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2015, 02:08 AM
Still Addicted to Chief Delphi
AKA: Luis Trueba
FRC #4301 (New Tech Narcissists)

Rookie Year: 2011
Whippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond reputeWhippet has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Whippet

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Is that not how you capitalize a title?
I believe the problem here is that it is unnecessary to capitalize filler words in titles, such as "of," "and," and "Is."
2013: FRC 4301, Electrical, Team Co-Captain
2014: FRC 4301, Electrical/Programming, Team Co-Captain
2015: FRC 4301, Electrical/Programming, Team Captain
2016: FRC 4301, Chief Technical Officer; FTC 10860, 10861, and 11004: Mentor. Winner, Hub City Regional (3310 & 4063)
2017-2020: Mechanical Engineering student at MIT
  #115   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2015, 11:38 AM
It's always the programmer's fault.
no team

Rookie Year: 2010
Ozuru is a splendid one to beholdOzuru is a splendid one to beholdOzuru is a splendid one to beholdOzuru is a splendid one to beholdOzuru is a splendid one to beholdOzuru is a splendid one to beholdOzuru is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The title of this post reminds me much of Jaden Smith's tweets.

http://genius.com/Jaden-smith-best-tweets-annotated
  #116   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2015, 10:32 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

If this latest discussion is referencing the title of this thread, it might be helpful to know that I am known for:
- typos and continual edits to the point of exhaustion
- run-on sentences and, pehaps, titles
- layered and hidden jokes/meanings
- puns
- haiku

In this case - the title has a typo, in my opinion. Just a little humor on my part.

I have no idea what the Reddit comment is about but I like the Jaden Smith reference. Great discussion in this most recent thread revival.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #117   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2015, 01:39 PM
6th Gear Developer; Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
no team (6th Gear)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

The title of this old thread is missing punctuation (a comma), in addition to any other mistakes.
Words/phrases I avoid: basis, mitigate, leveraging, transitioning, impact (instead of affect/effect), facilitate, programmatic, problematic, issue (instead of problem), latency (instead of delay), dependency (instead of prerequisite), connectivity, usage & utilize (instead of use), downed, functionality, functional, power on, descore, alumni (instead of alumnus/alumna), the enterprise, methodology, nomenclature, form factor (instead of size or shape), competency, modality, provided(with), provision(ing), irregardless/irrespective, signage, colorized, pulsating, ideate

Last edited by gblake : 05-10-2015 at 02:11 PM.
  #118   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Apfel πthon
FRC #2067 (Apple Pi)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
SamCyanide is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb This. Is. A. Title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
If this latest discussion is referencing the title of this thread, it might be helpful to know that I am known for:
- typos and continual edits to the point of exhaustion
- run-on sentences and, pehaps, titles
- layered and hidden jokes/meanings
- puns
- haiku

In this case - the title has a typo, in my opinion. Just a little humor on my part.

I have no idea what the Reddit comment is about but I like the Jaden Smith reference. Great discussion in this most recent thread revival.

Jane
The way I read things that have caps on the first letter of every word is like so:
This. Is. A. Sentence. With. All. First. Letters. Of. Each. Word. Capitalized.

Also the Reddit comment is based on how many users on the site seem to type in such a way.
  #119   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
Re: This. Is. A. Title.

Quote:
The way I read things that have caps on the first letter of every word is like so:
This. Is. A. Sentence. With. All. First. Letters. Of. Each. Word. Capitalized.

Also the Reddit comment is based on how many users on the site seem to type in such a way.
Understood.

What class teaches this in school?

How obsolete is the use of capitalization in a title?

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #120   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2015, 10:49 PM
AKA: Alan Wells
FRC #1350 (Rambots)

Rookie Year: 2009
PAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond reputePAR_WIG1350 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: This is a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
How obsolete is the use of capitalization in a title?
It is not obsolete at all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: