OCCRA
Go to Post ... Imagine NOT being able to count on certain things to stay the same from year to year... It makes you wonder what sort of sick, twisted mind would do such a thing to all those innocent teams out there... - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST-related Organizations > The Blue Alliance
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
FRC #5507 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute
[TBA]: Comprehensive Video Archiving

Hi all,

It's clear that this year The Blue Alliance has been unable to provide match archives for as many matches as we have in previous years. In particular, the dissolution of SOAP has removed much of the organizing drive behind video archiving at events. Perhaps less teams are recording events because they assume someone else will be and the matches will be available online, but if no one records anything, we can't offer them.

The Blue Alliance is weighing a number of options to improve the environment for next year. One possible course of action would be buying 12 Pinacle video recording units, and sending one along with each field. Swapping in and out 8gb thumbdrives would let each event be fully recorded for later processing, splitting, and uploading. This is obviously a somewhat expensive option, but we may be able to obtain sponsorship for this project, and part of the cost could be covered by the relatively moderate amount of advertising revenue we have made.

We would love to open the discussion for other ideas. Match videos are great for showing sponsors what their money enables, letting parents who couldn't come to events see what their children's long hours at the school were for, and relieving your most exciting matches. As a community, we can do a better job preserving these memories, let's just figure out how!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Jno
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Jonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [TBA]: Comprehensive Video Archiving

I'll give my thoughts on this at a later date, but I would be willing to donate the Pinacle Video Recording unit that I have.
K-Botics Team 2809 Founding Mentor ('09-'11)
Queen's University Mechanical Engineering, Applied Science '11

Crescent Robotics Team 610 Alumni (04-07)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2010, 01:14 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, I'm planning on buying a Pinnacle thingamabobber over the off season in time for IRI in order to record it hopefully. I mean, who else is going to do it?

I go to regionals that generally have people that record for TBA though. Silly Northeast...
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners

Last edited by Chris is me : 04-20-2010 at 01:22 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Internet is a series of ubertubes?
FRC #0001 (Juggernauts)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2007
JackG is a splendid one to beholdJackG is a splendid one to beholdJackG is a splendid one to beholdJackG is a splendid one to beholdJackG is a splendid one to beholdJackG is a splendid one to beholdJackG is a splendid one to behold

This may be a crazy idea, but would there be some way to share advertising revenue with people/orginizations who record the videos? The monetary incentive might induce more people to help get you the videos. Also, it might save you from having to buy a bunch of units yourself. I suppose that means that TBA would have to have an income stream in first place, so it might not work out.

On a related note, I personally wouldn't mind seeing some banners or other ads on TBA if I knew it meant more money for you guys. Of course I'm using Firefox with Adblock so I don't see many ads in the first place. But Chief Delphi has a few banners, so I don't think more advertising on TBA would be a bad thing if it meant the financial flexibility to do more stuff.

Winners are ordinary people with Extraordinary Determination
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2010, 06:00 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero

Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
For what it's worth, I'm planning on buying a Pinnacle thingamabobber over the off season in time for IRI in order to record it hopefully. I mean, who else is going to do it?
Last year we mailed a TBA Pinacle to Kyle Love, who recorded IRI. We can send you one to record it this year if you're willing and want to save some money. Of course, I love the Pinacle boxes and think they're awesome, so if you want your own anyway don't let us stop you
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:03 PM
FRC #0222 (Tigertrons)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Scott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Scott L.
Talking Re: [TBA]: Comprehensive Video Archiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG View Post
This may be a crazy idea, but would there be some way to share advertising revenue with people/orginizations who record the videos? The monetary incentive might induce more people to help get you the videos. Also, it might save you from having to buy a bunch of units yourself. I suppose that means that TBA would have to have an income stream in first place, so it might not work out.

On a related note, I personally wouldn't mind seeing some banners or other ads on TBA if I knew it meant more money for you guys. Of course I'm using Firefox with Adblock so I don't see many ads in the first place. But Chief Delphi has a few banners, so I don't think more advertising on TBA would be a bad thing if it meant the financial flexibility to do more stuff.
I know as a startup business, being able to do an event without compensation currently just isn't feasible. I would love to be able to webcast/record an event.

Maybe having a donation system were teams can donate to a fund that is used to help support whoever does an events video. Another idea is that a higher definition(higher than webcast quality) video DVD could be sold to support future event recordings.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Developing tomorrow's best people
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond repute

Can CDVideo be cleaned up? There are videos in there that have been put to the site or are ready to be put up.

I base my answers off of the game manual, Q&A responses and field tour videos at the time of my post. Rules will probably be modified or clarified between this post and your competition. My post means nothing to event officials. Please keep up with team manual updates and the FRC Q&A.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Assistant to the regional manager
AKA: Phil
FRC #4454 (Artisan Rockets)

coalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant futurecoalhot has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to coalhot

Just wanted to chime in here. In Philly, Miss Daisy had a video stream using ustream.tv (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/philadelphiafirst). The video can be downloaded from the ustream site, so that may be a direction to look into.
If we could get every regional to stream matches, we could later go on and download the video and archive it.

Last year I got the Philly regional recorded using an Elgato Eyetv 250. It worked pretty well, I just need to find the time to split the video up.

just my $0.02

--Phil

304 (student) ->304 (mentor) -> 3929 (mentor/temp lead) -> 4454 (assistant head honcho/head honcho)

Jack of all trades, master of about 2. Interested in mentoring in Philadelphia? PM me!

My posts represent my personal views only, and do not represent the views of my team, its school, sponsors, or FIRST.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalhot View Post
Just wanted to chime in here. In Philly, Miss Daisy had a video stream using ustream.tv (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/philadelphiafirst). The video can be downloaded from the ustream site, so that may be a direction to look into.
If we could get every regional to stream matches, we could later go on and download the video and archive it.

Last year I got the Philly regional recorded using an Elgato Eyetv 250. It worked pretty well, I just need to find the time to split the video up.

just my $0.02

--Phil
You can download from uStream O.o? Well, this means that splitting FiM matches is now doable. Code Red (2771) webcast every event using uStream. I'll have to check that out tonight.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG View Post
TBA has google text ads. Apparently, you're blocking them.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross View Post
TBA has google text ads. Apparently, you're blocking them.
Our ads are also pretty far down the page. We didn't want them to get in the way of any content. Since we have a donated server from HostRocket, we don't have very many ongoing costs, and mostly use the ad revenue to support new projects (like buying and mailing Pinacles) for the site.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2010, 04:59 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalhot View Post

just my $0.02

--Phil
This would be a suboptimal solution as the webcast feed is inferior to the actual video footage you can record field side.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Volunteer / The Blue Alliance
AKA: David Thomas
no team
Team Role: Alumni

synth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond reputesynth3tk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to think that we can just by-pass the uStream solution, since we're talking about archiving here, not webcasting. It's way too low-quality for offline viewing, especially if you're trying to impress a sponsor, group of students, school board, parents, etc. Or just for looking back at matches for nostalgia/education-sake.

I think the Pinacles would be an ideal solution, since that would provide the same quality/format for each regional.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:46 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

How cheap is a simple DV camera? Maybe instead of trying to hook into the video feed, which isn't always possible anymore, we could have someone set up a full-field tape?
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
How cheap is a simple DV camera? Maybe instead of trying to hook into the video feed, which isn't always possible anymore, we could have someone set up a full-field tape?
If we coordinated with the Regional Planning Committees before events, it would be trivial to add an RCA cable splitter to their AV setup expressly for the purpose of archiving their event. Special permission would solve that problem, and get us the on screen scoring still.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: