OCCRA
Go to Post Plot twist: I'm actually Dean Kamen, and I've seen so many water game suggestions that we're now considering it. :deadhorse: - Derpancakes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Detroiter
AKA: Foxy
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
Josh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant future
So You're Trying to Eat Lunch In Downtown Detroit

Greetings North Champs Attendees,

I've lived in Detroit for almost a year and a half now, and thought I could provide some recommendations for places to eat downtown during the Championship Event: North Edition.

The following options are within a 10-15 minute walk of the venue, and I've also provided approximate price points for lunch service. Please keep in mind that many of the multiple thousands of employees of companies like Quicken Loans and DTE frequent these locations, so getting where you want to eat before 11:45 or after 1:30 or so will help you avoid long lines or waits.
  • Maru Sushi ( $10-$15) - A great sushi spot that has a two roll lunch combo from 11-2:30
  • Carnival Fresh Mex (<$10) - Mexican basics at a great price with a wide variety of salsa options
  • American and Lafayette Coney Islands (<$10) - These two establishments are right next door to each other, offering similar fare in a diner-type setting; coney dogs, burgers, and fries, with American also offering Gyros
  • Bellacinoís Pizza and Grinders (<$10) - Located inside the 1001 Woodward building; solid pizza and hot, baked subs with a wide variety of meat and topping options
  • Freshii (~$10) - Also inside 1001 Woodward, they offer a variety of healthier options like salads, soups, and smoothies
  • Campus Martius Food Trucks (<$10) - A wide variety of food trucks set up in Campus Martius Park on weekdays
  • Orchid Thai (~$10) - My favorite Thai place around; dinner portions of their curry dishes are enough for me to have leftovers for lunch the next day with an extra pint of rice
  • Sy Thai To Go (~$10) - Think Chipotle for thai food; not as good as Orchid Thai but probably a bit faster (located next to City Bark pet store, canít seem to find it on google maps)
  • Slices (<$10) - Pizza by the slice
  • Shake Shack (~$10) - The first Michigan location of the New York burger chain, thereís also one in Troy for you folks staying in the suburbs
  • Chickpea in the D (<$10) - Walk-up window serving meat and veggie wraps, they also offer smoothies but Iím not a fan personally
  • La Pecora Nera ($10-$15) - Fresh breads, veggies, and hand carved meats make for one of the best sandwiches youíll ever have in my opinion; not the fastest or largest place, but if youíre looking for a real gem slightly off the beaten path (but still in a very safe area) you canít go wrong

Some other options downtown include Cottage Inn Pizza, Dominos Pizza, Jimmy Johnís, Buffalo Wild Wings (in my experience their service is less than stellar), Which Wich?, and the food court in the GM Renaissance Center (about a 15 minute walk along the river from Cobo) which has several other major chains. There are also restaurants in Greektown, which is just south of Ford Field, but I figured more people would be looking for things conveniently located relative to Cobo. If youíre going to be around on Sunday morning, then let me add that most places in Detroit also do brunch extraordinarily well.

I hope you all enjoy your time in my adopted city, and check out some of the truly great and special dining options available.

If you have more specific questions, or other recommendations, feel free to chime in below or shoot me a PM!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2018, 02:19 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2011
Loveless has a spectacular aura aboutLoveless has a spectacular aura about
Re: So You're Trying to Eat Lunch In Downtown Detroit

Cool list! The first thought that came through my head when reading was: Would any of these places have trouble getting an entire team (or even multiple teams) worth of orders done in a timely manner? Obviously same places are faster than others, could you go back through and give a speed metric maybe?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2018, 03:32 PM
Detroiter
no team

Josh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant future

The only true "sit-down" restaurants on my list are Maru Sushi and Orchid Thai, though I only ever order takeout from Orchid Thai and my order (typically for two people) is almost always ready by the time I make the 10 minute walk from my apartment.

The rest of the options on the list are mostly counter service with varying amounts of seating available, and like I mentioned, they're used to seeing a lot of people over the course of lunch. None should really take more than 10-15 minutes max per individual order. If you're going to be eating with a large group, there is a fair amount of seating at the 1001 Woodward building across from the restaurants mentioned above. It's more or less a small food court on the ground floor of the building. American Coney also has a decent amount of space. Other than that, finding seating in the restaurants will be a roll of the dice dependent mostly on the time of day.

On the bright side it seems like temperatures in Michigan are finally on the upswing, and there are lots of outdoor spaces, especially around Campus Martius, with seating and picnic tables and such available. So cross your fingers for good weather!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 10:58 AM
FRC #5234 (The Marauderbots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
Team5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant future

Ok, we are excited that it is the FIRST time we have qualified to attend The Championship in Detroit this year. However, we are completely at a loss with not knowing the ins and outs.

Does anyone know about food/drink policies? Will we be able to bring in water? I assume probably no food. But, don't know.

If anyone can help, that would be great.

Thank You
Team 5234
https://www.facebook.com/marauderbots/
@FRC5234
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 10:09 PM
Mentor
AKA: Steve Peterson
FRC #3081 (Kennedy RoboEagles)

Rookie Year: 2011
MrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond reputeMrRoboSteve has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the A-Z Guide.

http://info.firstinspires.org/2018-detroit-a-z-guide
2018 ∑ UofM Kickoff, Great Northern Regional, Midwest Regional, Minneapolis regionals, Daly@CMP, Minnesota State Tournament, who knows how many offseason events, but won't be playing Santa at Minne Mini this year
2011 - present ∑ FRC 3081 Kennedy RoboEagles mentor
2013 - present ∑ event volunteer at[list truncated]
http://twitter.com/MrRoboStevewww.linkedin.com/in/spetersonMicrosoft is hiring
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 11:55 PM
FRC #5234 (The Marauderbots)

Rookie Year: 2014
Team5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant futureTeam5234 has a brilliant future

Thank you, I have already downloaded and printed this. While it states a link to food/drink for FORD field, it doesn't clearly state anything about Cobo Center.
https://www.facebook.com/marauderbots/
@FRC5234
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Chief Engineer
AKA: Milton Martinez
FRC #4680 (Az-Tech Eagles)

Rookie Year: 1998
macman828 is an unknown quantity at this point

At the GM world headquarters, The Renesaicence center, aka RenCen, they have a food court. Walkable from Cobo.

http://gmrencen.com/dining/ --> click on food court. It geared for lunch, the other restaurants are open for dinner.

FRC 2010 - 2013, 2015 ----Volunteer Ė Judge

FRC 2013 - Present -Team 4680 Mentor Ė Chief Engineer

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 01:48 PM
we'll fix it in the pit
FRC #2706 (Merge Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
GreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for this! We just qualified at Ontario District Champs and are making our plans now. As someone who loves good food, I can't wait to check out some of these options.

"If I'm going to mentor someone, I'm going to be involved in their life as a positive force." -Mechvet

Last edited by GreyingJay : 04-17-2018 at 11:10 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 03:26 PM
FRC #2832

pjt0620 is an unknown quantity at this point

Detroit put together a list of local businesses that will offer discounts to first teams, https://first-robotics.visitdetroit.com/deals/ a lot of them are restaurants
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Volunteer
AKA: Ben Tower
no team

Rookie Year: 1997
Btower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to beholdBtower is a splendid one to behold

For a sit down lunch or dinner for a team (say 20-30) In the downtown area (call a day ahead) try: they either have specific large rooms or can put a bunch of tables together)
Maru Sushi
Detroit Beer Company
Calexico
Bobcat Bonnieís
Ottava Via
Slows BBQ
Brass Rail
Grand Trunk (get the upstairs)
Atwater Brewing
Andrews on the Corner
Hopcat

These are the ones that come to mind Iíll add to the list as they come to me😊
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 08:49 AM
Detroiter
no team

If you have the transportation and are looking for restaurants for groups, Corktown and Mexicantown are probably better bets than most places immediately downtown. In addition to Bobcat Bonnie’s and Slow’s, McShane’s Pub in Corktown has a decent amount of space. Most of the Mexican restaurants I’ve been to in Mexicantown could also accommodate larger groups.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team5234 View Post
...Does anyone know about food/drink policies? Will we be able to bring in water? I assume probably no food. But, don't know...
I would also like to find an answer to this, I don't see any mention of it in the A-Z Guide.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 10:52 AM
FRC #6829 (Ignite Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2012
BrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really nice

I think it's obligatory that everyone tries a coney at least once.

I miss having coneys. Have to get a brick of the sauce sent down again.

Brian
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 11:00 AM
AKA: Ryan Legato
FRC #0067 (HOT Team)

Legator91 has much to be proud ofLegator91 has much to be proud ofLegator91 has much to be proud ofLegator91 has much to be proud ofLegator91 has much to be proud ofLegator91 has much to be proud ofLegator91 has much to be proud ofLegator91 has much to be proud ofLegator91 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAtlanta View Post
I think it's obligatory that everyone tries a coney at least once.
I second this. You can't say you went to Detroit and did not have a Coney Dog.

The best places are American Coney Island and Lafayette Coney Island. It's tradition to try both places, and then pick a favorite.

https://opportunitydetroit.com/blog/...-vs-lafayette/

Mentor (FRC 67): 2015 - Present
Mentor (FRC 3771, 4363): 2011 - 2012
Student (FRC 67): 2007 - 2010

2010 World Champs (294, 67, 177)
2009 World Champs (111, 67, 971)

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-25-2018, 06:11 AM
Detroiter
no team

One more important resource I forgot to include: coffee!

There are a couple Starbucks and Tim Hortons locations around the downtown area, but two other local places Iíd recommend are Ashe Supply Co. (great selection of local baked goods), and The Roasting Plant. Roasting Plant is a little more expensive, but if youíre a fan of unnecessary complication/a mechanical systems nerd (maybe all of you?) then youíll love that their coffee beans are stored around the perimiter of the store and then transported via vacuum tubes (think drive thru bank style) to the grinder at the counter.

Great Lakes Coffee Roasting company has a location in Midtown, and though over never been to their store, their coffee is top notch and served at various restaurants around the city.

Urban Bean Co. and Dessert Oasis Coffee roasters are also downtown, but have received mixed reviews from people I know (aka myself and my significant other), but Dessert Oasis does have pretty good cheesecake!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: