OCCRA
Go to Post If your robot doesn't work, it doesn't matter, because the robot is really meaningless, in the long run. What is the important thing, the reason we're all in FIRST then? To better our understanding of Science and Technology, and hopefully make the world a better place. - Ian W. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute
pic: GBX-162, Realistic Swerve

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Shock the system.
AKA: Boom.
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: GBX-162, Realistic Swerve

You always have the most gorgeous renders.

One thing I noticed about your mounting: Have you considered 1533-style slots instead of the holes? It nerfs some of the pocketing, but it does give you the ability to locate it along any length of VersaFrame without having to poke new holes in the tubing.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 11:13 AM
AKA: Charlie Lockyer
FRC #4505 (McDonogh Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2017
C4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud ofC4 has much to be proud of

Do you have the parts list/CAD for this?

The views I express in my posts almost never represent the views of my team.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 11:20 AM
AKA: Eli Barnett
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)

Rookie Year: 2008
Oblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond repute

It's a small thing, but thank you for listing free speed rather than "top speed" with some unknown/arbitrary "speed loss constant" applied to it.

Member, FRC Team 449: 2007-2010
Drive Mechanics Lead, FRC Team 449: 2009-2010
Alumnus/Technical Mentor, FRC Team 449: 2010-Present
Lead Technical Mentor, FRC Team 4464: 2012-2015
Technical Mentor, FRC Team 5830: 2015-2016

FRC Drivetrain Characterization
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 11:28 AM
plz give me red dots
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

Nice and compact! Is that a ball bearing on the end of the CIM shaft and in the center of the large rotational gear? I would omit that part for fear of overconstraining the motor shaft. The shaft is strong enough to support the pinion without that bearing.

What is being used for the large bearing for the module rotation?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 12:27 PM
AKA: Caleb Hayes
FRC #2910 (Jack In The Bot)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
caleb7hayes has a brilliant futurecaleb7hayes has a brilliant futurecaleb7hayes has a brilliant futurecaleb7hayes has a brilliant futurecaleb7hayes has a brilliant futurecaleb7hayes has a brilliant futurecaleb7hayes has a brilliant futurecaleb7hayes has a brilliant futurecaleb7hayes has a brilliant futurecaleb7hayes has a brilliant futurecaleb7hayes has a brilliant future

I'm asking this because I can't clearly see it, but how are you planning on mounting encoders to track distance and rotation of your module? Beyond that it looks great, good work!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Student Captain
AKA: Aaron Fang
FRC #3863 (Pantherbotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2016
NerdRage is a glorious beacon of lightNerdRage is a glorious beacon of lightNerdRage is a glorious beacon of lightNerdRage is a glorious beacon of lightNerdRage is a glorious beacon of light

I love the packaging and small form factor of this swerve! Having attempted to design swerve on my own multiple times, I understand how difficult it is to get something nicely packaged. I was wondering if those screws on the bottom were all the support that the fork gets in terms of radial loads? Do you have another bearing, or is all the load through the bolts on the bottom? Also, what do you have in terms of taking the thrust load?

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Design Simple

asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred View Post
You always have the most gorgeous renders.

One thing I noticed about your mounting: Have you considered 1533-style slots instead of the holes? It nerfs some of the pocketing, but it does give you the ability to locate it along any length of VersaFrame without having to poke new holes in the tubing.
You know, my renders used to look only decent until I saw Nick Coussen do a render on a dark background, so now I use the same background for all my renders.
I like the idea of the slots, but I don't particularly see the need honestly. I don't like using Versaframe over just making my own tubing, after spending hours this year getting VF just right. Given that we have a CNC and a manual mill, it's actually faster for us just to cut tubes to length on the manual rather than use VF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 View Post
Do you have the parts list/CAD for this?
I'm just generating the STEP and Pack&Go files now, and will update the description with the link as soon as that's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblarg View Post
It's a small thing, but thank you for listing free speed rather than "top speed" with some unknown/arbitrary "speed loss constant" applied to it.
I always get mildly peeved when I see "adjusted" speed listed. Adjusted for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post
Nice and compact! Is that a ball bearing on the end of the CIM shaft and in the center of the large rotational gear? I would omit that part for fear of overconstraining the motor shaft. The shaft is strong enough to support the pinion without that bearing.

What is being used for the large bearing for the module rotation?
There's a balance to be struck here with the overconstraining. On one hand I agree with you and don't want to risk the shaft binding. But on the other hand, if I don't have it, tolerances could totally throw the spacing of the CIM pinion off relative to its meshing gear. Tricky, tricky stuff. I'll probably remove to make room for an AMT CIMcoder on the CIM shaft.
I'm using a 6814 bearing, 70mm inner by 90mm outer, 10mm thick. Very cheap alternatives to the Silverthin bearings a lot of designs use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb7hayes View Post
I'm asking this because I can't clearly see it, but how are you planning on mounting encoders to track distance and rotation of your module? Beyond that it looks great, good work!
Whoops, I knew I forgot something! The plan was to use Muchskull's AMT CIMcoder for the drive, I'll add that in before releasing the CAD. Rotation is settled with a Versaplanetary Integrated Encoder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdRage View Post
I love the packaging and small form factor of this swerve! Having attempted to design swerve on my own multiple times, I understand how difficult it is to get something nicely packaged. I was wondering if those screws on the bottom were all the support that the fork gets in terms of radial loads? Do you have another bearing, or is all the load through the bolts on the bottom? Also, what do you have in terms of taking the thrust load?
The setup here is similar to the one 1323 runs, so I'm not too worried about most of the lower module specifics. The screw is a dead axle for the wheel, and the forks are attached to the turning gear by means of 4 10-32 screws tapped into the forks with a couple of tiny pins on one fork for locating the bevel gear. Because of the small wheel it's quite easy to make it compact and strong.
If you mean the thrust loads from the bevel gear, those are taken just on regular ball bearings. Other swerves have run the same setup without issues. There is space for a roller thrust bearing, but I wouldn't add it unless I needed it.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: Yo! Champ in the making!
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Is it realistic because you're never gonna use it?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Last edited by AdamHeard : 04-15-2018 at 03:42 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 03:53 PM
AKA: Chris
Team Role: Driver

leafy1072 is a jewel in the roughleafy1072 is a jewel in the roughleafy1072 is a jewel in the roughleafy1072 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Is it realistic if you make it and it doesn’t work?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Learn to crawl before you ball
AKA: Yo! Champ in the making!
FRC #0299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafy1072 View Post
Is it realistic if you make it and it doesn’t work?
You know Anand just as well as I do - no way he'd make a swerve in season.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Design Simple

Link to CAD models (also in description): https://workbench.grabcad.com/workbe...IQSQ0z1UVX5D8O

I added Munchskull's CIMcoder and removed the bearing in the middle gear.

Quote:
You know Anand just as well as I do - no way he'd make a swerve in season.
Bingo. Not worth the time it takes IMO. COTS swerves, however, are on the table. The Swerve&Steer still has numerous issues, but here's to hoping for improvements!

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 04:10 PM
AKA: Chris
Team Role: Driver

leafy1072 is a jewel in the roughleafy1072 is a jewel in the roughleafy1072 is a jewel in the roughleafy1072 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post

Bingo. Not worth the time it takes IMO. COTS swerves, however, are on the table. The Swerve&Steer still has numerous issues, but here's to hoping for improvements!
#SomeoneElsePleaseMakeSwerve

Last edited by leafy1072 : 04-15-2018 at 04:20 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2018, 05:35 PM
FRC #5202
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
ollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Link to CAD models (also in description): https://workbench.grabcad.com/workbe...IQSQ0z1UVX5D8O

I added Munchskull's CIMcoder and removed the bearing in the middle gear.

Care to detail what's wrong with Swerve&Steer?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: