Go to Post I hate to do say it with these words but...We're all in this together. - dellagd [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 07:45 AM
FRC #5205

sthump is just really nicesthump is just really nicesthump is just really nicesthump is just really nice
What are the rules limiting what a human player can wear onto the field

Are there rules against a human player wearing a piece of clothing that allows the robot to track during game play?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 07:59 AM
AKA: אוסטין
no team (WPILib Suite Developer)

Rookie Year: 2008
AustinShalit has much to be proud ofAustinShalit has much to be proud ofAustinShalit has much to be proud ofAustinShalit has much to be proud ofAustinShalit has much to be proud ofAustinShalit has much to be proud ofAustinShalit has much to be proud ofAustinShalit has much to be proud ofAustinShalit has much to be proud of
Re: What are the rules limiting what a human player can wear onto the field

In my personal opinion:

H05: A ROBOT shall be operated solely by the DRIVERS and/or HUMAN PLAYERS of that Team.

H07: (You are allowed to bring non-powered signaling devices)

A02: During AUTO, DRIVE TEAMS may not directly or indirectly interact with ROBOTS or OPERATOR CONSOLES unless for personal safety, OPERATOR CONSOLE safety, or pressing an E-Stop for ROBOT safety.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 08:04 AM
AKA: Alex Hill
FRC #5801 (CTC Inspire)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
rockets will become famous soon enoughrockets will become famous soon enough

I know that last year I saw human players wearing retroreflective tape, but I'd say it's pushing it.

IMO, H07 would restrict this. "...e.g. including imagery that, to a reasonably astute observer, mimics the Vision Targets used on the FIELD." It doesn't specifically call out clothing, but I would say that would count as "equipment."

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 08:13 AM
AKA: Matthew Stone
FRC #0302 (The Dragons)
Team Role: Human Player

GearLOading is an unknown quantity at this point

It's completely legal just don't overdo it. I wore bright yellow gloves and saw other teams do similar things to actually putting a board with retroreflective tape in front of the human player station to help their robot see where the station was.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 08:14 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinShalit View Post
In my personal opinion:

H05: A ROBOT shall be operated solely by the DRIVERS and/or HUMAN PLAYERS of that Team.

H07: (You are allowed to bring non-powered signaling devices)

A02: During AUTO, DRIVE TEAMS may not directly or indirectly interact with ROBOTS or OPERATOR CONSOLES unless for personal safety, OPERATOR CONSOLE safety, or pressing an E-Stop for ROBOT safety.
To add one point regarding H07, the caveat here is that said "non-powered signaling device" should not imitate any tracking methods used by the field (IE the vision targets or the Power Cubes).
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 06:39 PM
we'll fix it in the pit
FRC #2706 (Merge Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
GreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond repute

I see the intent of that rule being to not allow you to mess around with other robots by wearing clothing that mimics the existing vision targets on the field. But, making something up that your own robot knows how to track seems to be fair game.

"If I'm going to mentor someone, I'm going to be involved in their life as a positive force." -Mechvet
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Berkeley Engineering
AKA: Mitchel Stokes
no team
Team Role: College Student

Mitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearLOading View Post
It's completely legal just don't overdo it. I wore bright yellow gloves and saw other teams do similar things to actually putting a board with retroreflective tape in front of the human player station to help their robot see where the station was.
The rule is in there to prevent you from copying the actual layout of the vision targets in order to mess with opponent's tracking. Human players have been wearing vision targets for several years now (900 in 2014 is the earliest I remember), but I wouldn't plan on using it in auto as per the rules listed above.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 06:58 PM
AKA: Matt
FRC #5675 (WiredCats)

Rookie Year: 2016
mswhite60 is a name known to allmswhite60 is a name known to allmswhite60 is a name known to allmswhite60 is a name known to allmswhite60 is a name known to allmswhite60 is a name known to all

OK per QA 30:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-16-2018 8-03-42 PM.png
Views:	251
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	23336  

Matt White
WiredCats 5675
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 07:21 AM
FRC #0948 (NRG (Newport Robotics Group))

Rookie Year: 2003
BethMo has much to be proud ofBethMo has much to be proud ofBethMo has much to be proud ofBethMo has much to be proud ofBethMo has much to be proud ofBethMo has much to be proud ofBethMo has much to be proud ofBethMo has much to be proud ofBethMo has much to be proud ofBethMo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
I see the intent of that rule being to not allow you to mess around with other robots by wearing clothing that mimics the existing vision targets on the field. But, making something up that your own robot knows how to track seems to be fair game.
If I remember correctly, one of the top Championship teams used human-player-clothing-tracking to guide their robot in autonomous back in Aerial Assist. The game design team applauded their ingenuity and then modified the rules so it would be illegal in the future.

Of course, I could have any/all of the details wrong. The years all start to blend together after a while.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 08:53 AM
AKA: Bobby Van Ness
FRC #0020 (The Rocketeers)

Rookie Year: 2011
BobbyVanNess has much to be proud ofBobbyVanNess has much to be proud ofBobbyVanNess has much to be proud ofBobbyVanNess has much to be proud ofBobbyVanNess has much to be proud ofBobbyVanNess has much to be proud ofBobbyVanNess has much to be proud ofBobbyVanNess has much to be proud ofBobbyVanNess has much to be proud ofBobbyVanNess has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethMo View Post
If I remember correctly, one of the top Championship teams used human-player-clothing-tracking to guide their robot in autonomous back in Aerial Assist. The game design team applauded their ingenuity and then modified the rules so it would be illegal in the future.

Of course, I could have any/all of the details wrong. The years all start to blend together after a while.
This is partially accurate. The team specifically was 254. In 2014 they released their program "Cheesy Vision" which essentially a way for drivers/human players to send a signal to the laptop without using special equipment or crossing the driver line during auto. It had a 'color' box, and then two other boxes that each looked for a color match. It then sent the 1/0 for each box based on the match, and teams could signal which goal was hot.

See:
https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...d.php?t=128639

It was well accepted by FIRST and the community for that season, mainly because of the faulty vision tracking "flip boxes" on the field that season, which just didn't work properly. Following this, FIRST decided that they want the autonomous period to be truly autonomous, and made driver station interaction illegal during auto.

Team 900 also did something interesting that year (which is no different than team 900 every year since ). They had a full field shooter/trusser and put a retro-reflective patch on their catching human player for teleop play. We thought this was the coolest thing, and even tried out a practice field match where we attached the patch to the back panel of our catching robot. Sadly it didn't work as well as we'd hoped...
2015 TVR F, FLR QF, Carson Sub-Division W, IRI
2014 TVR W, FLR W, Archimedes Division QF, IRI
2013 WPI Regional F, Connecticut Regional W, Archimedes Division QF, IRI, Championship and IRI Talent Show Winner

2013 - 2014 Driver: 82-43
Lead Strategy Mentor: 77-45-1
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Berkeley Engineering
AKA: Mitchel Stokes
no team

Mitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond reputeMitch Stokes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethMo View Post

Cheesy Vision used the color difference between their shirts and skin on the drivers to control the robot during auto. It wasn't the vision system itself that was made illegal, it was having the drivers legally controlling the robot in autononous that was made illegal.

Since the original question refers to human players wearing vision targets (unspecified teleop/auto) that rule doesn't apply here, and is legal as long as the vision targets don't intentionally mimic the switch targets or be used during auto.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 12:37 PM
we'll fix it in the pit
FRC #2706 (Merge Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
GreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't around during the year that teams were given an opportunity to control the robots in auto using a Kinect or some such. Did people like that aspect of the game and do you think it might come back?

"If I'm going to mentor someone, I'm going to be involved in their life as a positive force." -Mechvet
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Drive/Programming/Webmaster
AKA: Nathan Strodtbeck
FRC #5980 (East Grand Rapids Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
NathanStro is just really niceNathanStro is just really niceNathanStro is just really niceNathanStro is just really niceNathanStro is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: What are the rules limiting what a human player can wear onto the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhite60 View Post
OK per QA 30:
Nice catch. That's a pretty definite answer. So long as you design your tape to not look the exact same, you're good!

DRIVE TEAM Operator 2016: Worlds St. Louis | Driver 2017: Worlds St. Louis | Driver 2018: Worlds Detroit
"Its not about the robot"
"Build A Robot, Build a Team, Build a Future"
"Robots is hard"
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 03:21 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
I wasn't around during the year that teams were given an opportunity to control the robots in auto using a Kinect or some such. Did people like that aspect of the game and do you think it might come back?
I believe this demonstrates how useful it was.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Some clarification regarding autonomous/hybrid mode controls in 2014 (and 2008/2012).

There have been several times in which FIRST has encouraged the robots to respond to outside signaling in what would be considered the "autonomous" period. This includes the renaming of the autonomous period to the "hybrid period" in 2008 and 2012, and the explicit use of a Kinect station in 2012. In 2008, it was pretty rudimentary. Teams were able to send up to 3 signals to their robot during the hybrid period. The typical way was via RC remote, to signal the randomized starting position of the trackballs on the overpass (although some teams got creative and found other signaling methods, such as colored signal lights). In 2012, there was a station with a Kinect featured field side so that one team per alliance may opt to remotely signal to their robot during the hybrid period. This was rarely used, and even more rarely used advantageously. Thus the 254 jokes at Championship that year.

In 2014, the beginning of the match was still called the "Autonomous Period," however there was a renewed push by FIRST to encourage teams to use the Kinect to interact with their robot during this period. This included allowing teams to use the Kinect or their built-in webcams on their driver station, as opposed to a specific station elsewhere on the field. While drivers had to stay behind the white lines in autonomous and wireless communications were disallowed, signaling to a motion capture device like the Kinect was expressly allowed by the rules. After frustrations with the hot goals triggering properly, 254 developed Cheesy Vision to signal to their operator console via its built-in webcam. Other teams adopted Cheesy Vision or built their own similar controls, including some taking it well beyond simple hot goal signaling. 1114 could control most of the features of their robot via signaling to their webcam, effectively enabling them to "drive" their robot during autonomous (a particularly useful feature when they donned their goalie pole at championship).

After the 2014 season, FIRST decided that it wanted autonomous to be more truly autonomous, and added new rules against what teams had done in 2014. I just want to be clear that before that, it was explicitly encouraged multiple times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: